How is your garden looking today?

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
I candied a bunch of 'em for my wedding cake.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:46 pm
Nasty day here. Lots of really crappy slush falling from the sky.

Let it end.

I managed a check of the front gardens the other day, though, and the sedum is looking well...we planted a very low maintenance garden at the front last year...I'm a little sad that I won't be required to dote on it's maintenance, but also a little relieved....

There's been no time (ok maybe inclination) to look at the back...to do the full "perimeter walk," as it were (too cold - don't judge me!!!), but I'm itching to tackle the back yard this year. If I ever master the art of posting images, I'll try to regale you all. Lots of gardening action in the back.

Ooohhhh. I'm jealous of the "rose" people. I used to BE a rose person,. but once I got blighted, I couldn't manage to eradicate it no matter how hard I tried. Had to dig 'em up in the end.

Violas and pansies are our friends.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:14 pm
eatsren lake ontario : our backyard is under water ! has been raining steadily for about 24 hours now and it will go on ... total rainfall is expected to be in excess of 50 ( FIFTY ! ) mm. well, when the rain stops the garden will have received an adequate watering . hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:17 pm
Hamburger--

Are you on a city main or do you have a private well? We have a private well and this makes the rain easier to endure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:21 pm
<hand up hand up>
<i know the answer to this one, teacher>

City main. The hamburgers' property is actually kinda neat - the house sits on sort of a dome of limestone - had to be blasted to put in the foundation. If their backyard is flooded, most of their neighbours' basements will be flooded, but theirs won't be - cuz they're up on that rock dome.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
yea, sitting on the rock ! glad that we have extensions on our downpipes, so the rainwater doesn't run down the basemant walls. unfortunately the ground is still frozen so the water can't drain away easily (lake ontario still had an icecover about two feet thick a couple of days ago). there'll be plenty of flooded basements in the city; as ehbeth posted : plenty of limestone with only a thin cover of soil (kingston goes by the name of : limestone capital of canada. hbg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
I hope you stay high and dry, hbg. Noddy, we're on a private well also. I don't much complain about the rain.

Not much new in the garden. More of the spring greens are up and the monkshood is coming up some. Still no signs of the dicentra although my neighbor's is up about 4 inches. They're 3 years old so they aren't too young or too old. I don't get it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
still raining heavily and i've noticed the lights flickering a few times. wouldn't surprise me if some transformers might get damp and shorten out. hbg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
Sunday should be a better day here. I'll get out and tend to some things. Rake, dump leaves, spread mulch, empty more pots of last years' dirt, but I've got a taste for stewed chicken for dinner. And I did buy those fresh snap beans. It's difficult to cook and garden in the same day. I need to get out early. 9 am early. Geez. I feel like Ma Ingalls. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:00 pm
The glaciers are gone, but the rain has been replaced by mixed rain and snow.

Iffy barrelled in from the Ladies' Comfort Station and Rest Room this morning. Not only was the weather vile, there was a very unhappy bear foraging for breakfast.

I didn't see any cubs.

Male bears are easier on my nerves--Iffy has been spayed and doesn't realize the power of Maternal Feelings. Iffy is a damn fool.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:12 pm
We've now had about a day and a half of falling sleet/rain/snow/slush. It's quite a vision out there. If it had been straight snow, probably would have been 6 - 10". As it is, it's dang slippery piles of slush and snow on top of the ice that hadn't melted yet.

Two unhappy little dogs live here today.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:12 pm
Its been crappy down here in Lancaster County also, but weve all been too sick to really care. Were gonna run out of food some day and Ill have to go to town.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
eastern lake ontario : all that rain (probably in excess of 50 mm) has finally stopped. we didn't get any of the snow that fell at the western end of the lake - quite unusual. it's amazing how the lawns have started to green up in just 48 hours; even some crocus have openend up. a few days of warm weather should really make things look more like spring. hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:39 pm
The Western end of the lake has had a lot of snow, sleet, rain, slush, thunder and almost anything else you could name. I had about 15 - 20 cm of the heavy, heavy stuff to shovel. Too heavy for the snowblower. 400 feet down the "mountain" was very little snow...mostly rain. Go figure. I know that my rose bushes are under there someplace.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
The pasque flower is about to bloom, maybe tomorrow. I think I see one of six bleeding hearts coming up. I'm almost ready to pick some early tarragon (YUM!) and the May apples are poking up out in the woods.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
The plums & cherry are finished flowering, the wild cherries, apples & crab-apple are still in flower -- also the Bleeding Hearts & the Hellebores. The camellia is nearly done with nearly every pink blossom tinged with brown. I've just planted 8 gallons of Cardinal Flower (a kind of lobelia), three azaleas, two helebores and three of eight gallons of Beard's Tongue. Also, two rosemary plants, three sages, two cilantro plants, and an oregano in the herb bed. I put in two plants whose name I can't remember but are burgundy leaved with greenish flowers. I still have a bunch of lavender & couple of dark pink flowers... name forgotten. Oh, and at the Farmer's Market today I bought a coral-barked Japanese maple for $13 and have already repotted it.

Work. Work. Work.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:22 pm
Cherry blossoms are in bloom here..

http://www.directupload.net/images/050410/obkI9iSF.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:31 pm
nice photo, Satt
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:38 pm
The azealas are blooming here and this weekend is the Dogwood Festival. The dogwoods are in full bloom. I'm getting out tomorrow and emptying the barrels and raised beds and refilling with fresh soil and hummus. Hopefully in a few weeks the nighttime temps will remain warm enough to plant veggies.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:38 pm
delete
0 Replies