How is your garden looking today?

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:06 am
The bulbs here look pretty happy too, though some are raggedy at the top...

My seeds haven't sprouted yet but they're not due to yet, either. Have been keeping them moist, I'm hopeful.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:24 pm
The first of my lettuce seeds are up today. I spent the morning cutting back a bed of pachysandra that was beginning to encroach on my northern flower bed and moved a hundred or so plugs into an area under the trees on the east side.

It's warm and sunny and I got to play in the dirt. It's a good day.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:15 pm
eastern lake ontario : some poppies - along the south side of the house - are starting to emerge from amidst the leaves and bark spread on the bed last fall. reached PLUS 12 C today - seems winter is ready to go grudgingly. hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:22 pm
Ow.

My back.

My hands.

Just worked my butt off for several hours in the garden. Lots to show for it, but ow.

Will lay down some grass seed tomorrow.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:27 pm
soz : easy does it ! (learned it the hard way !). the weeds that you dont't pull today will wait for you tomorrow; the raking you don't do today can still be done tomorrow. GREEN THUMBS UP ! ( OUCH ). hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:28 pm
crucus buds are about to pop even in my shady, cool yard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:30 pm
My yard looks positively disgusting.
Clumps of now dirty snow.
Chunks of ice.
Puddles.
Dead grass.
A pile of leaves that didn't get bagged before the BIG snow.
Junk that got into the yard somehow - how do clumps of ick get over an 8 foot fence anyway.

On the upside, things are melting, the fact that I can see the dead grass is promising.

A major backyard cleanup and raking is needed. Trying to figure out how to do it around the ice and snow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
yep, mine too, well, the snow has slowly receded to almost gone (at least on the garden beds), the old leaves are being raked up as the snow melts (sort of).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:36 pm
It was fun. In a feel-the-burn sort of way.

It hurts to type tho.

I was operating under the assumption that it was going to rain tomorrow and be rainy for a few days after -- the forecast of this morning -- but now the forecast is sunny tomorrow and no rain 'til Friday. So I have more time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 09:00 pm
Red letter garden day -- viola seeds have sprouted!!

<happy dance>
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:38 am
That must be quite a string garden sozebe. Is there a wind section too?

http://www.baroquecello.com/images/viola.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:47 am
Smarty pants.

THIS kind of viola:

http://www.ingibjorg.is/juni2003/MSumarblom/Viola%20cornuta.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:01 pm
I call those "johhny jump ups". Dunno why.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
"Little stepmothers" they are called in German :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
I don't plant those in spring, since they have been on the balcony since autumn.

Planted today a couple of roses, some marguerites already in full blossom and small summer flowers which hopefully will be 'adulted' by May/June.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:46 pm
Violas/johnny-jump-ups--like the pansy descended from violets.

They are also known as "heartsease".

Pity they don't work for sore muscles.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:46 pm
Those are called Johnny Jump Ups here, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm
Yep, if I see "johnny jump-up" that's what I'd think of. Called violas on the seed packet, so going by that. (I'm beyond thrilled that they actually sprouted! I know there's a long way to go from here, but wheee!)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
ohhhh, I love violas. Soz, if you let them go to to seed, they'll self seed next year. Maybe not exactly where you want them but I dig them up and move them around every year.

On the herb front, it seems my chives are doing well and the tarragon is sending up shoots. The sage is still looking ratty and there's no signs of the parsley or cilantro yet. I planted some 'hardy' rosemary last year that was supposed to be ok for zone 6. We're zone 5b, but my south bed is protected and right up against the house so I thought I'd give it a shot for getting through the winter. I put a bunch of pine boughs over the plants for protection. They don't look very good, but I'll wait a bit before declaring them done for.

Still no signs of the dicentra. I don't understand it - I have 6 huge plants and I don't see any of them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:58 pm
And they are edible--

http://www.kroger.com/hn/Food_Guide/Johnny_Jump_Ups.htm
0 Replies