How is your garden looking today?

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:12 pm
Satt_fs, I've just printed out the cherry blossums to put up next to the peach blossums and Francis' tulps. I've had many comments on the other two pics. Thanks for posting another picture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:00 pm
Beautiful.

Currently blooming:

Daffodils, tulips, rhododendrons, magnolia, grape hyacinths, some sort of purple daisy-looking thing that closes up at night.

I'm a happy gal.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:11 pm
sozobe wrote:
Beautiful.

... some sort of purple daisy-looking thing that closes up at night.

That might be pasque flower Soz, one of the earliest spring bloomers.

I tried to post an image but it's not working. I'll keep trying....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:13 pm
Very close, but the petals are much more daisy-ish. Narrower and more of them.

This reminds me, it's quite a challenge for me to differentiate the weeds from the plantings because I've never seen the yard before at this time of year -- don't know what to expect -- and because this is a different climate than I'm used to. Lots of flowers (and animals) I've never seen before. There is one plant that from the pattern I think must be a weed, I'm just not sure. It is a sort of a mound of foliage, large oval leaves, vaguely cabbage-ish though not quite as dense and the leaves are more freestanding/ not as clumped, and are a little narrower. They have some sort of flower emerging ... ai, how to describe... it looks purplish, hasn't bloomed yet, looks like some sort of a cluster.

I'll have to take a picture and post, but if this gives you any ideas, would love to hear 'em. They are growing in the shadiest parts of the yard, especially where there is currently ivy. If they're weeds I want to get rid of them because they are growing fast and taking up a lot of resources and making shade.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:23 pm
maybe bergenia.

http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Bergenia%20'Perfect'%20m.r.jpg

I have these in my shade gardens. They flower in early spring and the foliage stays nice the rest of the season.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:30 pm
or, could they be Virginia blue bells?

http://www.skiphupp.com/BlueBellsLog5400.jpg

These will bloom and then go dormant and disappear.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:34 pm
Thanks!!

The leaves look about perfect, the flowers aren't there yet but they might be soon.

I'll take some pics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:12 pm
The crocuses in my yard are passing, onward to the pink and blue squill...... The magnolia seems to be ready to pop too.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
Sozobe: Does this look like your daisy-like flower?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDtAqEZBlo0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lsOsJ9RvR01VAe2BInBJoy5MQT6BIUOehDwOs8SCeeqFQSbG07fOoipLSel5E7OkaycRUSkyO!U1FJ1chTfLNRcC5IR8c*SLC/neko%20nomad%20275A.jpg
Grecian Windflower A. Blanda
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
That's IT! Thanks, neko!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:02 am
Poisonous! Who knew?

(Google's great, but nothing beats fuzzy human logic.)
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
Cheerful little things aren't they ? These are between the driveway and fence up front. Won't show for a couple of weeks, however.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:06 pm
I planted wave petunias over the weekend. I have no business planting petunias in early April and I'll be lucky if I don't lose them but they were cheap and I needed a bit of color. I also planted up my front planters with pansies and azaleas.

My pasque flower is in full bloom. I've decided that I did lose all but one dicentra. That one is up and doing well. I've ordered three new ones to go under the tree canopy. Maybe they'll like it better there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:53 pm
sozobe, many plants are a little toxic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:22 pm
as are many people
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:10 pm
I grow many deer resistant varieties in my garden. Some of them are deer resistant because they are so toxic. I have a lot of monkshood which causes my skin to blister if I accidently rub up against it. Not something you'd want to have the sozlet around, Soz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
Aye, some plants are more poisonous than others. I haven't had problems with monkshood, but people can. There are lists of poisonous plants online.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:31 pm
BBB
Since I can't dig planting holes, my contractor, Henry, planted 40 miniature roses in my front yard. They will provide a carpet of multi-colored tiny roses soon.

We planted Asiatic lily bulbs, Spirea plants, hardy blue Geraniums, Caryopteris plants and several clematis vines in the rear yard.

After Henry removes a diseased Pinion pine tree on Thursday, three tree Peonies will be planted in the spot in the rear yard.

My task, which I can manage, will be to plant Blueberry plants in pots and add about 100 strawberry plants to those I planted last year in the raised plant Henry built for me. Frost-tender Dahlais and multi-color Calla Lilies also be planted in pots. I also want to buy some tomato plants in pots so I can enjoy good tomato flavor as I did last year.

We had an unusual amount of rain and show this winter in Albuquerque, which produce a huge crop of weeds. Both yards are now pretty weed-free---at least for a month. Now if I can keep Maddy and Dolly from digging up the new plants, I will have lovely plant colors this year.

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
It all sounds lovely, BBB. Watching things grow and bloom brings me great joy. I hope your plantings bring you the same.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
the garden is really springlike, daffodils, violets, grape hyacinths, kerria, camellia all flowering away, sparrows twittering and making such a racket that people phoning me comment! the cats think it's heaven and are chasing each other through the bushes and round the plant pots. Caenothus and spirae will be flowering any time and so will the clematis and the climbing roses.

I've planted an Acer and a beech, my tree poppy that's been in for 3-4 years and done virtually nothing has the biggest fattest flower bud Very Happy for the first time.

The little bonsai I was given survived the winter happily.

The roses are in bud and the geraniums, which shouldn't be put out yet, have survived their 3rd winter outside and never stopped flowering all winter (motheaten looking but bravely flowering).

I've got some busy lizzies to add to pots under shrubs and taller plants when it warms up just a little more.

It's small but I love my garden
0 Replies