How is your garden looking today?

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2021 09:50 am
We’re in south FL near the GofM coast at this time the year. We’re trying our hand at growing digs and a lemon tree. Last year the lemon tree produced about 10 or so decent fruits. This year it’s doubled that plus the tree is nearly 2 fr talker.
The fig trees were a gift that was shipped to us semi-grown but in really rough shape. I resurrected them in reporting and giving them TKC. They may start to bear fruit again really soon as they had some (inedible ones) when we first got them. At least we know they’re capable.

It’s very warm and very sunny here. I often say that you could stick a rake in the ground here and grow a rake tree. Not like at home in NewEngland.
Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2021 10:58 am
@Ragman,
Sorry for my Typoa:
digs = figs
fr Talker = ft taller
reporting = repotting
TKC = TLC
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 12:35 pm
Got the first echinacea blooms today and the english lavender is spectacular. We've had the lavender for maybe 15 years, and each year it outdoes itself. I braved the sun even though it's hotter than hades today to cut bunches for myself and neighbour.

The weigalias had gotten so much dead wood on them that I cut them to within an inch of their lives last year. Far less blooms this season, but the greenery is nice, the shapes are much better, and I think it's really going to pay off next year. While I was busy last year not caring if I killed the weigalias, I also went to town thinning the black eyed susans and dividing the hosta. Everything looks great except one small rose, which doesn't owe me anything.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2021 02:14 pm
How is my garden looking today? Well, ask the rabbits. The year of the rabbit. Tons, everywhere. Cucumbers, survived. All pepper plants made it to the deck into containers. Next year fenced off. Usually I don't mind sharing a little. First time ever I will have to fence it. They even chomped down on my gladiolas.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2021 03:07 pm
@alex240101,
our problem has been the spotted lantern flies. thir "instars" hve a hankering to suck tomato juice fresh from the tomato. Or grape juice from the grape.
Someone imported a pack of wasps (whatever you call a group of wasps , maybe a "militia") and theyve developed a taste for instars, and lately the bluebirds have also been lantern fly eating . ourbluebirds have a third nesting this summer. I have 32 bluebird boxes out nd about the field fence pots andwhen I checked them last sunday we had almost a 75% rate of third clutches and chicks
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2021 05:21 am
Looking a lot better than in previous Julys. We've had nearly six inches of rain this month. Normally this is a coastal desert in the summer months.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2021 05:29 am
@hightor,
wath yer tomatoes dont split.
Wve gotten our first tomatoes a bout July 15 and are awash in Brandywines and Better boys and sweet 100's

Ive been eatin tomatoes fresh and warm from th garden almost every ay and Im lovin it. Mrs F mae shrimp creole using the fresh tomatoes and, I have to say, canned tomatoes are actually better for cooking 9xcept for cheese and tomato sammihes)
hightor

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2021 05:46 am
@farmerman,
It's been pretty consistent so I think the skins have kept up with the growth. I've got Amish Paste great for paste, great for eating out of hand), Genuwine (a delicious "heirloom" cross from Territorial Seeds, and Early Girl (as the name suggests, the only ones we've eaten so far ). Voles have been a huge problem in the flower gardens. I envy your bluebirds!
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 06:14 am
@hightor,
went out and actually pruned tomato bushes. WAAAY too many fruits to be supported. Sveral yers ago, a friend and I did a garden test of growing tomatoes for yield. I let all the tomatoes set and ripen. I had over 250 tomtoes from one bush. He trimmed and pruned an, while he ha almost 150 tomatoes, they were all super gret and proper specimens.
Since thenIve been watching the tmaters and judiciously puning. ALSO, I dont grow tomatoes in these big POTS anymore, too much work to keep em fed and watered.
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 06:19 am
@farmerman,
Ill have to look up that "GENUWINE" tomato, Im addicted to these super sweet grape or cherry tomatoes too, They are the best for grilling or salads (expecially since Mrs F found a way to cut em in half without having them roll away (Sh places like 20 xherry tomatoes in a smally saucer and covers em with another saucer and runs a sharp knife across theconnected lips of the two saucers (Kinda like opening a quahog). All the tomatoes re sliced neatly in half with no mush and no escapees
Joeblow

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 07:45 am
@farmerman,
Clever
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 07:55 am
@alex240101,
Here too. It's also the year of the coyote, and earlier in the season, foxes. Something got one of the rabbits on our front lawn and left just three feet and some entrails behind. Smelly. Poor cottontail.

I did some container mint this year which has been a huge disappointment. Normally I can barely contain it in the ground. The other herbs did well.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2021 07:07 am
@Joeblow,
we planted 6 asian pear trees of 3 different varietals. now we watch and care for,

ive aleady planted my garlic for next spring. ive got several planting boxes (above groun. 2 of them have a rock ust base about 1 ft below the ground surface.Then we filled the box with bark chips and compost and planted the garlic. So far its been the way to go .

Our tomatoes were excellent this year an Mrs F has already done up a lotta tomato sauces for freezing (We gave up jarring 20 years ago). Ive dried a buhel of tomato slices for bean soup and mac n cheese plates.
Now we just are bringing in firewood for th coming winter. Were set.
Ill be going out mushroom hunting with a neighbor this week. Oyster and fall chanterelles are coming in arly
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2021 12:50 pm
We just returned to our so FL home and the lovely weather. Cold weather in mid-Hudson valley has just set in. No more driving down the coast. We flew down and left our car with friends who we also renting our house while we’re here for the cold months. We made the plunge and bought car #2 for here.

It rained quite heavily and often in August….like for 3 weeks. Had my work cut out for me to clean up the bushes, trees and shrubs. Got out our rechargeable Li-ion battery powered (Ego) gear. It does the job.

It took me about 5 hours of power shears and leaf blowing to get things in order.some of the shrubs need a ladder to reach the top to get them reachable. This 3 trees grew about 4 feet while I was away just like last year. I. just have to avoid the heat and trimming after 9 am.

Our lemon trees did better earlier. I picked 4 lemons. Maybe 6-8 more will be edible. No idea about edible our figs are.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 06:09 am
Planted garlic yesterday.

The coyotes are getting more active – I can hear their chorus every few nights.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 09:54 am
@hightor,
.222 hornet, no noise no coyotes
hightor

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 10:09 am
@farmerman,
Actually I'm hoping they put a dent in the deer population. Currently the apex deer predator seems to be automobiles. I did get a doe permit this year so that's good.
0 Replies