How is your garden looking today?

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
Thanks neko for the visual. Taking everything under consideration, I feel somewhat certain that the roots are probably coming from the ivy, not the hostas. I'll clip them back and keep an eye out, make sure that the roots aren't blocking the shoots. What else could I do?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
My garden is in a strange state -- we've had a very early spring. My daffs are mostly gone, as are the early tulips. The flowering cherry is raggedy, the flowering plus re purple, the camellia is covered in pink blooms. That hellebore whose photo I posted a while back is looking almost exactly like that again. (I love that plant.) The dark red (Rocket?) snapdragons have volunteered all over th place and also a low-growing plant with aluminum like color on its leaves (it will have little yellow or purple flowers eventually). All the hydrangeas have burst forth their soft leaves. The peony is up. The bleeding-heart corner is goingto be lush again. Unfortunately, I had some damage and have some spots I need to fill in -- going to buy some herbs soon. A plant I bought lost year and now can't remember what it is, is blooming. It has nice dark glossy roune leaves and sweet-smelling gardenia-like flowers. I wish I could find its tag.

It is hard to believe anybody still has snow on the ground.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
Piffka wrote:

It is hard to believe anybody still has snow on the ground.

A new coat arrived during the night last night. Ugh!

I noticed that the sedum and asters have started to send up little shoots. That was before they got buried in snow again.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:47 pm
Your hostas should do fine, eoe, and they will shade out their space so as to keep the ivy at bay. The ivy, in turn, will move on to proliferate elsewhere.

Have a good year!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAAwAxwZKC40gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lXyJpOIOJJiKNX2YHOwo2ij4stdwl1ZoHmcon8msdllczYHh*Q4bU8xZwf2OwWsXYLrw6SjtZDVDneoN2ra4duEwX00jLU*R*/neko%20nomad%2045.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:48 pm
No one shed a tear for my lost garden.... Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:49 pm
It's snowing here now.
I am NOT impressed.

You lost your garden, cjhsa? I musta missed a coupla pages. Losing a garden isn't a good thing. It's a sad thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:51 pm
See previous page. Not only did I lose my planting space, but they cut down every tree on the lot, a navel orange, a meyer lemon, mission fig, tangerine, apricot, gravenstein apple, Santa Rosa plum, and a pear tree (no partridge). Asshole idiots - seems to plague our area.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
ick

i really had missed quite a few pages. oh well, at least my dad was here Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:01 pm
Snowing. Forecast of four to eight inches. We are not amused.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:21 pm
I was sooooooooo not amused when I left the office in my clogs and spring jacket Evil or Very Mad and the snow was flying into my face. I am still not amused.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:21 pm
Oh man!

cjhsa, I couldn't tell if you were happier about renovations than sad about the loss of your garden. All those fruit trees!! Was it unexpected? I mean, did you think they'd be doing work but would leave the trees?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 05:33 pm
Well, it was expected since the lot and the house to the left were sold separately last summer. It used to be one parcel, and the homeowner only picked the fruit. I kept it up, trimmed the trees, killed weeds, cleaned up, in exchange to use the space. He left in a hurry though, and split the parcels to sell faster.

I'm really surprised they cut down all the trees, it just seems like bad planning, and probably a language barrier issue. Effing illegals anyway.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
I will never understand why building contractors always cut down all the trees. I think that they could save a few and manage to work around them.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:49 pm
Eoe, I don't think there's anything you can do to your hostas that would hurt them. I routinely take a sharp spade and crunch through them to divide in early spring or late fall. I've done it during the height of summer, too, with no permanent harm. Next year they're back, self mounding, as usual.

They're hardy! I often have to jump on the spade to get through them. If I wait too long to divide, they'll sometimes die off, but they're back again next year, without fail. I think Gus is right...and Nekos pictures, too- Hosta.

(Beth - colddddd, today. No hosta yet, for us. Boo.)

(cjhsa - I'm crying for your lost fruit trees.)
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:51 am
joe:

There's a box of kleenex on the left side of my monitor --- help yourself to it.....

(sniff) HONK
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:42 am
Thanks for the hosta advice guys.

My heart aches for you snowy ones. Another Easter in boots, huh?

cjhsa... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
Thanks, Neko - bra replenishment...sob

Boots.

Sigh.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Oh. Springtime in Atlanta, dolls. A gorgeous day in the garden. I raked and cleaned and wheelbarrowed and watched a tree removal service take down a neighbors' four trees. High up in the pines, it's an amazing sight.
I planted climbing roses today. Two plants. It was a first. One fought back. Got a scratch.
Sorry. I sound smug as hell. I'll stop.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
I spent yesterday in the garden too, Eoe. I was ankle deep in mud and it was mighty cold but I found some more shoots coming up. I now have asters, mums, sedum, pasque flower and campanula sending up shoots. No signs of the bleeding hearts yet, which surprises me, but I'm sure they'll be up soon. We're getting a few warms days now so things should start popping up everywhere.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:52 pm
I've got bulb sprouts coming up all over - looks like it a good year for them. I think the snow cover kept the temps constant and seeped water down to them. We'll see if the blooms are as prolific......
0 Replies