I'm Fablungit

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:04 pm
Is it yesterday, today, or tomorrow? Confused

BTW, don't bother looking up fablungit. It's not English. It's Yiddish. Some words in Yiddish fit certain situations better than English words do.

I know the definition only from usage. It means lost, in a fog, confused. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,502 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:05 pm
My grandmother (who raised me) was full of colorful expressions: "So yer body got up, but yer mind is still off dreaming."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
Flabungit schmabungit, Roberta, we fell into a time warp!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
Setanta, Grandmothers are great for colorful expressions.

fbaezer, We fell into a time warp--which made me fablungit. I wonder what Einstein would say about this. Probably that he's fablungit, too.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
I just wanted to used the "schma" prefix. I believe it's Yiddish.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 05:00 pm
fbaezer, I knew that. Schma as a prefix is an old favorite of mine. So fablungit, schmablungit. And Einstein schmeinstein. Is today tomorrow, or what?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 07:44 pm
Roberta: Instigated by your curiosity about what Einstein might have to say about this problem, I gave the guy a call:

And he said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Of course, that was of no help whatsoever, so I questioned him further and he replied:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

but, said I, that is not the explanation I'm seeking, to which he replied:

"If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut. "

Now, that really did it for me, Roberta. It was obvious that Einstein wasn't going to be any help at all. And then, much to my surprise, he transferred the call to Franklin who graciously replied:

"One today is worth two tomorrows".

That made me feel much better and I do hope that Ben's wisdom un-fablungits you just a wee bit? Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 11:06 pm
Raggedy, I think I'm now semiunfablungit. But what can I say about you? You're talking to dead people on the phone.

How you doin', kid?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 11:38 pm
The scariest part is, they talked back.................
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 12:45 am
Hi Roberta!

It's now. Time is an invention. And down is under your feet, up is over your head, and you are where you are...

Now if I could only remember that!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:33 am
Max, Good point. Talking to dead people is one thing. But getting a response! A whole other thing.

Wy, Thanks for the orientation. Time is an invention? Uh, never mind. Let's not go there.

Things seem to be back the way they were before they were the way they weren't. So I'm no longer fablungit. At least not about a2k.

Thanks for all the support.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 09:45 am
Yiddish is such an expressive language. I wish I knew more of it than I do- it seems so useful.

What does Verklempt (sp?) mean?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:08 pm
Choked up
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:57 pm
Equus, A number of words from Yiddish have worked their way into English and into the dictionary. Among them are chutzpah, maven, nosh, schmuck, schmo, shtick, and schlep.

I just checked. These words appear in Webster's.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:13 pm
Here's the gantseh megillah!

http://www.pass.to/glossary/Default.htm
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:20 pm
For those who don't know, the ganseh megillah is the whole shebang (which may very well also be a Yiddish word).

Now, for the advanced students, my father often says to me (sorry, it's hard to spell this stuff): Zay-in mitte gitte shoo.

I know what it means. Do you? :-D
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:22 pm
Schlep? First time I heard that was in my childhood a zillion years ago. It was the punchline to a joke: Tee off, get a birdie, schlep Morris. (Morris died of a heart attack on the first hole.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:46 am
Phoenix, Thanks for the link. I have the feeling that my family's Noo Yawk accents have influenced my pronunciation. All the words that I thought started with the sound fuh are spelled far in the glossary. I noticed that fablungit (farblungit) isn't there.

Jespah, Zay-in mitte gitte shoo. I'm stumped. What does this mean?

Piffka, LOL. That Morris gets around. He's in a lot of jokes. Even after death, Morris shows up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:12 am
equus, mac

Although it may sound Yiddish, 'verklemmt' is actually a German word, meaning 'shy, self-conscious, repressed'.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:20 am
Roberta. Yaw righr about Noo Yawk
Roboida- Yaw right about Noo Yawk- In the site it is spelled. "Farblondzhet", which is a closer transliteration of the way the the word sounds to the ear.

Walter- Since Yiddish is a mixture of German and Hebrew, there are a lot of totally German words in the language.
0 Replies