Who Was President When You Turned 20?

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The Iranian revolution was virtually guaranteed when an elected government was overthrown to install the bogus Shah long before Carter became president.

edgarblythe, edgarblythe, edgarblythe. Let's look at this thing like rational people, not opposite partisan adversaries:

Circa 1951 - Mr. Iran personality, the popularly elected prime minister decides it would boost his ratings if he nationalized oil. Keep in mind also that Iran is the world's number two producer of oil. When an industry is nationalized, it's tough kitty for whoever owned it before. How would you like to have billions invested in an industry only to have some clown take it away from you? So not just the U.S., edgarblythe, but England and other countries with interests in Iraq didn't let this slide off.

So perhaps it would prove, in retrospect, not to have been a great move, to help topple ol' Mohammed Mossadeqh, but all that oil! All those lost dollars, stolen from the civilized world! Was the rest of the world supposed to just sit back and see some egocentric blowhard rip us off?

Madeline Halfbright was the first one to spill the beans about our part in orchestrating Mossadeqh's overthrow. Eisenhower thought it was the right thing to do. The Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi for all the criticism, lasted a full 26 years before the Ayatollah and other crazies launched their own revolution. People were killed that resisted the government, and that's bad, but the extreme Moslems like Koehmeni were violent also. The Shah split when he became weakened with cancer and a mounting uprising, and he chose to hang out in Beverly Hills in a spread like you wouldn't believe. In the meantime, the Ayatollah and his government wanted the Shah's head and so we let him stay here, out of harm's way. According to one of Ted Kennedy's former campaign aids who wrote a book about Ted Kennedy, Ted Kennedy gave this inflammatory speech sometime between snorting coke and dunking a woman in Lake Chappaquiddick and inflamed the local Iranian emigrants, some whom promptly burnt the Shah's house to the ground.

Sorry to go long, but it has been a historical axiom that when there is a perceived lack of leadership and discipline (Carter being the operative example), rogue nations will become beligerent. Perhaps that's why the hostages were released on practically the same day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated in January, 1981. Libya tested Reagan by blowing up Americans in 1983 and Reagan promptly paid Kadafi back by blowing his residence up in an airstrike, which managed to kill one of Kadafi's kids. That's about the last act of overt terrorism Libya has committed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:13 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Welllllllll. Free lance but not all all alone on the deep blue sea.

he had jedgar and nixon to keep him company. reagan was doing his part over in hollywood to sniff out them reds what was "hatin' us for our freedoms".

ya know. like freedom of speech. freedom of political expression. all that stuff that seems to evaporate everytime one of these types of witch hunt becomes popular.

Oh, is that the liberal summarization of history, then?

don't know about the liberals, but it is what i come up with having read various material over nearly 50 years regarding the mccarthy bunch.

Sen. Joe McCarthy,
Tailgunner Joe, was a REAL American.
He knew how to stick it to the commies
that infested America.
We shud throw Kennedy off the half-dollar
and cast a genuine silver dollar
with Senator Joe McCarthy on it.

He was MY kinda guy !
Just judge by the RESULTS
of screams of commie pain.
David

do you deny that hoover and nixon were in cahoots with him ?

do you deny that reagan was involved in the creation of the black lists ?

do you deny that for all of the upheaval and gross abuse of the house unamerican activities committee, very little was produced in the way of verifiable and even less in the way convictions?

do you deny that over the last 5 years there has been, and is, a similarity in the bush administration's rhetoric, activities and paranoic secrecy?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:20 pm
Its interesting that
the House UnAmerican Activities Committee
was set-up to combat the nazis.
I do not recall any liberals complaining
of anti-nazi abuses; thay limit their objections
to anti-communist measures.

Its just a question of whose Red ox
the liberals favor.
David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:24 pm
When you two finish ranting like idiots, the thread can continue.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:25 pm
old europe wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
At least one nation, previously on the terrorism list, Libya, surrendered their nuclear stockpiles to the United States, based solely on GWB's entry into Iraq.

That's an interesting assumption, but one you'll find difficult to prove. It's just as reasonable to assume that the UN sanctions, imposed on Libya four years after the bombing of Pan Am flight 103, and Libya's isolation in the international community were responsible for the renunciation. You could even argue that the compensation of US$ 3 billion paid to the families of the victims rather supports that assumption.

In general, I find it somewhat difficult when people argue that one event happened "solely based" on another event, merely because it happened at the same time.

Here's a Editorial From the New York Democrat Times Conceding Bush Got it Right
Quote:
This page recommended lifting American sanctions, but President Bush left them in place pending further steps, most notably Libya's decision to end its unconventional weapons programs. It is now clear that he was right to do so. The added American pressure worked just as intended.

A nice addition from Cal Thomas on the subject:
Quote:
The fruits of the war to topple Saddam Hussein are becoming apparent. Even Democrats are starting to acknowledge the significance of Libya's announcement. Ashton B. Carter, who served as assistant defense secretary in the Clinton administration, said the Iraq war was a turning point in convincing Col. Gadhafi to relinquish his weapons.
One senior Bush administration official told reporters last Friday night (Dec. 19) that Libya had progressed "much further" in its nuclear program than the United States had suspected, including acquisition of centrifuges that could be used to produce highly enriched uranium.

The truth just doesn't support your claim that the Iraq War and Libya's ceding their nuclear program and opening up for inspections was just coincidence.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:27 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I'll make you a deal, buddy. We'll stop ranting like idiots just as soon as you stop making the same type of claims. Is that fair enough for ya'?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:39 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Forget it, edgar. This thread is dead in the water, taken over by the half-wit trolls of A2K.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
"LittleBitty" wrote on another thread:

Quote:
Monte Cargo is my husband. As I have stated before, I've read this board off and on for many years. When I joined several days ago, I thought my husband might wish to participate as well, so I encouraged him to take part in your political forum. We have separate computers but share an IP through a router.

We purposely picked names that were two words; a detail that was overlooked in the witch hunt. The idea was to ease ourselves into this situation as we know how emotionally invested many posters become in their respective message boards. If we wanted to fool you, we'd never have joined or posted at the same time.

We've participated on other boards without any explanation and maintained that zero connection between the two of us for years. I wouldn't be too quick with that pat on that back considering all of the clues we left in this case.

This is information we were more than willing to share, but the accusations flew, first in my husband's direction accusing him of being a return poster under another name, and they continued on until there was open discussion here and we imagine behind the scenes as well.

You yourself blatham had your doubts though and have complimented MC whether you agreed with him or not. Unlike the the little emotional wreck I appeared to be days ago, I can promise you that many of you are wrong about my education, my husband's whereabouts prior to this time, and how we truly interact on a message board.

I've had a difficult time of it, but I've kept my husband off of this particular thread as he was less than impressed with what was said here. That, and I fight my own battles.

We thought that if I chose a rather ridiculous looking avatar and name, coupled with sounding naive and emotional, that I wouldn't be perceived as any sort of threat as my husband comes on rather strong. The amazing thing is the least tolerant group is this political forum. I've posted for far too many years on political issues to be that sensitive!

So, in conclusion, it is clear that you need to change your rules. You need to state that husbands and wives cannot join at the same time and enjoy any sort of positive experience. You need to add that all newcomers will be subjected to labels such as trolls, uneducated, etc. You need to share how quick you are to judge, and how quick you are to remove yourselves from that same judgment.

We feel sorry for those of you that appear to be too insecure to share your board with any new arrivals. That was a big concern to us... not upsetting the balance that you've achieved here.

If we should decide not to return, a fond adieu to a select few of you that were fun to debate regardless of whether or not you agreed with us on a topic. Tico and roger, your names come to mind right off the top of my head. We hope that you both remain the true gentlemen that you have been to us.

Humankind cannot stand very much reality. ~ T.S. Elliot
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:34 am
I never indulged in the Italigato type accusations. I just react to the posts, regardless of the posters' time on the boards. David has been here forever, and I treat him the same as Monte Cargo, when their posts are like the ones on this thread.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:40 am
little bitty
little bitty, from time to time, flamers who look for forums in which to stir up sh*t discover A2K. They stay around for a while, getting their jollies by disrupting threads and generally making world class asses of themselves.

If this description doesn't fit you and your husband, then welcome to A2K in anticipation of your civil non-flaming discussion contributions.

If the above description does fit the two of you, then don't let the door hit you on your way out.

BBB
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:56 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
If this description doesn't fit you and your husband, then welcome to A2K in anticipation of your civil non-flaming discussion contributions.

Thank you. I am unable to accept responsibility for my husband's posts anymore than he will accept responsibility for mine. I am a registered Democrat (althougn I often find myself somewhere in the middle)and MC a Republican.

I can understand that all kinds probably come here to stir up trouble. I have been on boards where I have spent the majority of my day reporting legitimate trolls and alties. It gets old.

I had friends that posted here so I hade been interested in this board for a while, but the last thing I ever want to do is be disruptive, and in fact in saying so on this thread, I am doing exactly that.

-----

edgarblythe, I answered on this thread a while back.

I can understand holding everyone to the same standards. Please keep in mind that we are new here and the desire is to fit in, not be a nuisance. My apologies for going off topic on your thread.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:17 am
LittleBitty
LittleBitty wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Thank you. I am unable to accept responsibility for my husband's posts anymore than he will accept responsibility for mine. I am a registered Democrat (althougn I often find myself somewhere in the middle)and MC a Republican.

I can understand that all kinds probably come here to stir up trouble. I have been on boards where I have spent the majority of my day reporting legitimate trolls and alties. It gets old.

I had friends that posted here so I hade been interested in this board for a while, but the last thing I ever want to do is be disruptive, and in fact in saying so on this thread, I am doing exactly that.
-----
edgarblythe, I answered on this thread a while back.

I can understand holding everyone to the same standards. Please keep in mind that we are new here and the desire is to fit in, not be a nuisance. My apologies for going off topic on your thread.

I forgot to tell you I like your name and your avatar. They are a perfect match.

BBB
0 Replies