Who Was President When You Turned 20?

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:36 am
Interesting article in NYT relating how who was president when you turned 20 influenced party affiliation.

http://www.pollster.com/small%20nyt%20graphic.jpg

Corresponding article can be found HERE.

Does the premis that party affiliation of the president when you turned twenty fit you?

What other extrapulations might be made, if any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,592 • Replies: 111
No top replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:39 am
Larger view of graphic available HERE.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:42 am
Thanks for posting that link for a larger graph.

Being a Carter/Ford person, I needed my reading glasses.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:53 am
In my day it was the highly popular Eisenhower. And, I confess, it caused me to support Nixon in '60. Then I wavered for a time between parties, but became a Democrat after Johnson left office. I have since become an independent, but will never vote Republican again as long as I live. The Bush thing has soured me on that party, irrevocably.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:33 am
Chai - Welcome. I didn't want to post the original fearing it would widen the whole page. I hate when that happens.

I was a Carter Come of Ager as well. Being in the Midwest, I would have thought more conservative views would have taken hold. My Dad is a conservative Democrat (20 during Kennedy) and so is my grandfather (20 during roosevelt).

My oldest will turn 20 during Bush's reign. She's very much a Dem / Independent or ANYTHING but Republican.

Edgar - I'm thinking Bush has done that to a lot of people. Those that might like to think they vote based on the individual rather than party will likely remember this presidency for a long time and hopefully pause before pulling the lever.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:14 am
I turned 20 in Clinton's first term. In fact, that was the first election I ever voted in. I have always been an independent.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:21 am
http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/images/grover-cleveland-210-se-120_0.jpg

Grover Cleveland. God...how I loved that man.
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:32 am
Ah yes. Fond memories of unrequited love that turned you to sheep, I take it. Very Happy

I don't recall being that aware of politics and parties at the time I turned 20. I would think family party identity and upbringing would have the largest influence.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:44 am
Oh, that's interesting!

Bush the first was in office when I was 20. And y'all know how I turned out...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:45 am
Is family affiliation what turned you into a sheep? (whoops, not you, soz)

I used to think that family affiliation was more important, too. But I think that it could be that what's going on around the time you come of voting age could affect you too. And that doesn't necessarily mean that you will lean toward the party of the president at the time. It could be that you reject the party of the president at that time due to controversy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:52 am
By about a week, Dwight Eisenhower, Kennedy being elected soon after.

Haven't read the article yet..
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
Truman, don't say anything about my daughter, was in office when I turned twenty. One of the few presidents in my lifetime worth his salt.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:19 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/images/grover-cleveland-210-se-120_0.jpg

Grover Cleveland. God...how I loved that man.

Gus I am a blood relation to Grover Cleveland no kidding.... useless trivia...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:35 am
My goodness, Bear, I never would have guessed.

Party affiliation of my parents was a split, but both were interested in US politics, my mother being conservative Republican (well, for the time..) and my father a liberal Democrat. I've always voted Democrat though they don't always represent me as well as I might like, being too middling for me at this point. I've kept as a registered Demo so that I could vote in primaries... until just recently when I signed up in my new state as an Independent. Not sure I'll stay with it, may6 swing back so I am able to vote in the primaries here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:35 am
We are all, in some way or another, related to Grover Cleveland.

(Except for Slappy)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:41 am
that explains a lot.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:43 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that explains a lot.

and nothing at the same time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:30 am
au1929 wrote:
Truman, don't say anything about my daughter, was in office when I turned twenty. One of the few presidents in my lifetime worth his salt.

You bet! He was the last honest statesperson this country ever had. Would not give you 2 Cents for the rest of them.

Anyhow, I was 20 when Eisenhower was in office!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that explains a lot.

and nothing at the same time.

a mystery wrapped in an enigma.... cool ****...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:41 pm
I'm another Eisenhower person.

Until recently I'd always registered Independent. My father was a newpaper man and our family was conspicuously non-partisian.

Two years ago I re-registered as a Republican to vote for a friend in the primary. Mr. Noddy is registered as a Democrat, so we get all the campaign literature. Unfortunately we also get all of the phone calls.

I despise the recorded messages, even if they are recorded by Important Political People.
0 Replies