need comment

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 01:40 am
well... i wrote a story for my writing class...i'm learning how to write english... so.. please bear with the thing i dont understand..

i need some comment.. thank you

title: Photograph

When I was just an infant, I was abandoned by my parents. My grandfather took me in his care right away without hesitation. Since then, I had been living with my grandfather for more than 20 years. He taught me many useful things in life, and in terms, he was the person that affected my life the most; he was the only person on this earth that truly cared about me. At some point in my life, I stopped caring who my parents really were, all I needed was someone who always be on my side - my grandfather, and the one and only person I love the most in this world.

We were poor; we lived in a very old, small wooden house. The house was very dirty; no matter how much we cleaned it, there was always this feeling it still wasn't cleaned. The only most expensive item was a camera that my grandfather bought it during Christmas. With it, we often took pictures together. I liked taking pictures with him because every time in the pictures, we would smile brightly, regardless our own situation in life; he was taller than me, with his hand on my head, and made the "victory" hand signal. He and I would smile together, and our smiles would spread across our faces that our eyes were barely seen. Every time I took pictures with him, I always hoped that moment would last forever; it was one of the precious moments I cherished in my life. As I graduated from my studies in college, I was offered an excellent good job opportunity in some big company. At first, I refused the offer, because I knew if I took the job, I had to leave my grandfather side; I hated when I had to leave someone I loved behind. My grandfather, told me that a young man must and should always put his career as his primary object in life, and he said if I didn't take the job, I would waste all the college tuition fees he had ever paid for me. I really didn't want to disappoint my grandfather, so I changed my mind and accepted the job offer.

It only took half a year for me to climb up to a manager position in the company. I became successful in my career; we started too moved to a bigger and a better house, with the hope of more happiness would come in the future. As time passed by, I began to change; I started to see my career as a very important part in my life, perhaps even more than family. For the very first time, I had an argument with my grandfather. It was one of those Chinese New Years tradition, where family should ate dinner together. Because I became a manager, I had to look after many things in the company. Sometime my grandfather told me that he wanted to go to vacation with me, since we could afford it right now, and I always promised him we would go. But at the end, I forgot about it. One time, my grandfather brought a new camera, with thoughts we could go back to the past and took pictures together. However, the only time I took another picture with him was during Christmas Eve.

Finally, a day that was remembered by my grandfather and I had came. It was at night around eleven pm, I was took my work from the company to home and hoped to finish them by the morning. I was really stressed out; I had four meetings on that day, and I finished three six pages marketing report, and afterward, I had to go home to drive my grandfather to the hospital, for he wasn't feeling too well. During my time of frustration, my grandfather came into my room; he sneaked up on me with his camera and took several pictures of me without me noticing. At first, I didn't pay much attention to what he was doing; I thought he only wanted to try and cheer me up. Then he tried to take more pictures, the flashing light from the camera had started to annoy me a little. As the camera flashed its white light with every picture it captured, it had annoyed me to the point that I snatched the camera from his hand and threw it out to the window. He was shocked, and a moment later, I was shocked too. What have I done and what a terrible thing I had done. I was staring at his eyes, and immediately, I felt I had become a completely different person. His eyes told me that he was really upset, that his grandson had changed into a completely different person. I was too embarrassed to say anything, and then he left the room, with both of his hands shivering; he was scared.

At that time, I was lying on my bed. I turned the lights on so I won't fall asleep. But, it won't matter anyway. I couldn't sleep, simply couldn't, with the thought of the thing I did earlier. I tried to savage the remaining parts of the camera, but it was all in pieces where it hit the ground outside. Just when I was about to get up for a cup of water, I came across a really old photograph album. It was covered all in dust at first, as I tried to clean it; I was amazed how pretty the album really was. Two lines of golden bar were paralleled to each other at the edge of each side. The middle was plain and simple, but yet it was very pretty. There was a yellow flower sewed on it, and there were words, "To the beloved," sewed under the flower. I suddenly remembered it now, that album was my album - the very first gift my grandfather had gave me. I stored many pictures of my grandfather and me in it. As I opened the album, with every picture I browsed, the hatred in me started to rise; I wasn't hating my grandfather, I was hating myself. When I was small, all the smiles were beautiful, but as I aged, there weren't a lot of pictures with me in it as an adult, until I finally came across one. It was taken from Christmas Eve; it was the only picture where my grandfather and I, as an adult had smiled so brightly. Then I compared it with the older pictures, I discovered something that almost made me felt into my tears. Although I saw I was growing up into a healthy adult, I discovered my grandfather was different; he was aging. He was taller than me in my childhood, but now, I was taller than him, and his back was slightly blended, it didn't look like he could stand straight anymore. His face was much paler, as if he had laid a white sheet of paper onto his face. He had become much skinner; he looked like he could be blown away by a strong wind. Suddenly, the thought of losing my grandfather came up to me. The more I tried to avoid thinking about it, the more of it was coming to me. The day he would left this world would come, and I would be lonely, without anyone's care and love. It hurt already just by thinking about it, I really didn't want to know what would happen if it would be becoming reality. I felt guilty, and I hated myself even more. I was destroying the relationship I had built with my grandfather. We were so good all the time, but because of my career, I had ruined everything. Frustrated by what I had done, I put the album aside and left the house, without leaving a note for my grandfather.

When my grandfather woke up and found that I was missing, he immediately rushed to the phone, and gave me a call to see if his beloved grandson was alright. He told me he was sorry yesterday that he was annoying me while I was working. I didn't say anything, but before he could apologize, I apologized first. I apologized for hurting his feeling, I apologized for forgetting our relationships, and I apologized for his love and care I had ignored. My grandfather paused a bit, but I could hear his changed in the rhythm of his breath; he was delighted, he had finally got his grandson back. We talked on the phones for hours and hours until I got back home. When I saw him, I immediately pulled out a vocation advertisement; I asked him if Paris was a good vacation spot.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 439 • Replies: 0
No top replies