Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:44 am
Visitor: Can you tell me how to reach the bank please?
Policeman: Which bank? There are two: the Allied Irish Bank and the Bank of Ireland.
Visitor: I have an AIB pass card and I want to withdraw money from the bank.

Policeman: You need to go to the Allied Irish Bank which is near the local shopping centre, Dunnes Stores.

Visitor: How do I get there. I have no knowledge of this area.

Policeman: Cross the road and turn left at the other side. Walk along the footpath until you reach the traffic lights. You will see a shopping centre on the right hand side. Walk across the road and turn right after the shopping centre. Keep going straight for about 100m and the bank is to your left.

Visitor: It sounds very complicated. How far is it from here?
--------------------------

Could you tell me what is the difference between "Cross the road and turn left at the other side" and "Cross the road and turn left", please?
And could you draw a rough sketch for me? Thanks! my email is: [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:40 pm
It's a little ambiguous because I'm not entirely sure if "cross" the road means simply to walk to the other side of the street, or if it means something else... but it doesn't sound like there's any difference between "Cross the road and turn left at the other side" and "Cross the road and turn left."
0 Replies

xwraith

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:00 pm
Quote:
Cross the road and turn left at the other side. Walk along the footpath until you reach the traffic lights. You will see a shopping centre on the right hand side. Walk across the road and turn right after the shopping centre. Keep going straight for about 100m and the bank is to your left.

1. Cross the road.
2. Turn left.
3. Walk straight until you are at an intersection with traffic lights.
4. Across the street, at the right hand side, is a shopping center.
5. Cross the street. You should now be right by the shopping center.
6. Walk straight until you reach the end of the shopping center. There should be an intersection of some sort.
7. Turn right at the intersection.
8. Walk straight for about 100m.
9. The bank is to your left.

I hope my interpretation was correct. I don't want you getting lost because of me. Razz
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
Shapeless wrote:
It's a little ambiguous because I'm not entirely sure if "cross" the road means simply to walk to the other side of the street, or if it means something else

It's really not ambiguous at all!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:20 pm
I wasn't sure if "cross the road" had some UK-specific nuance, since the passage looks to refer to somewhere in the UK.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:09 pm
Quote:
Could you tell me what is the difference between "Cross the road and turn left at the other side" and "Cross the road and turn left", please?

The first sentence; 'Cross the road and turn left at the other side' is not correct. 'at the other side' suggests 'next to the other side'. The correct word would be 'on' not 'at'.

Also, in that sentence, I would interpet it to mean 'cross the road, then turn left on the side of the road you just left'. Makes no sense at all.

'Cross the road and turn left' is easier to relate to.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:34 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The first sentence; 'Cross the road and turn left at the other side' is not correct. 'at the other side' suggests 'next to the other side'. The correct word would be 'on' not 'at'.

It is not incorrect.

In this type of sentence structure "at" usually means "when you get to" and "on" usually means "when you are standing on top of."

Since we do not think of the space on one side of the road as being a discrete object that can be stood on, but rather a large area that you can stand within, it is better to use at.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:10 am
The entire road is an object that can be stood on. If you're at the road you're not on it, but on the side of it.

I am ON the other side of the road.

I am AT the other side of the building.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 01:31 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
The entire road is an object that can be stood on. If you're at the road you're not on it, but on the side of it.

I am ON the other side of the road.

I am AT the other side of the building.

Yes, that is all true, but your previous post is still not.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 03:31 pm
ok. I can live with that. I'm still learning. Smile
0 Replies