what does it mean?

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 10:39 pm
Dan Rather: Some US officials now want federal laws against indecency on television to apply to cable channels as well as broadcast. Congress today began looking into whether and how Viacom, CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System), the NFL (National Football League), and MTV may have violated indecency rules during the Super Bowl half-time show. But as CBS's Wyatt Andrews reports, today's hearings covered a lot more than one "flash-dance."
Wyatt Andrews: It's already the breast that rocked the broadcast world, but now it has outraged most of Congress too.
Rep. Joe Barton: We're mad as h-e-double-l (hell) and we're not going to take it any more. Um, I think that's where the country is.
Wyatt Andrews: Two congressional committees already angry about radio shock jocks and low-brow TV, used hearings to lash out at the Super Bowl show staged by the NFL and CBS whose bosses answered mostly with humble pie.
Paul Tagliabue (NFL Commissioner): Soon as I started looking at the half time show, I felt like I was kicked in the stomach.

Could you tell me what 'I think that's where the country is' means, please? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 633 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 03:32 am
Re: what does it mean?
ddlddlee wrote:
Rep. Joe Barton: We're mad as h-e-double-l (hell) and we're not going to take it any more. Um, I think that's where the country is.

Could you tell me what 'I think that's where the country is' means, please? Thanks.

I think it might mean, "I think that's what public opinion wants right now". Politicians often use a phrase such as "the country" when they mean "the people of this country".

You may think it is curious that Rep Joe Barton chooses to spell out the word 'hell' phonetically. This is probably because he is a member of a fundamentalist Christian sect which believes it to be such a wicked word it has to be spelled rather than pronounced. Very Orthodox Jews will write 'G-d' instead of 'God' for similar reasons.
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:35 am
Thank you very much,contrex.
0 Replies