What if they lose?????

Asherman

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:53 pm
Ebrown,

I totally agree, though I'm sure our approaches to achieving those ends are vastly different.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:37 pm
Re: What if they lose?????
joefromchicago wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
I have been reading what the Dems are saying,and listening to what they are saying,and I have a question.

The dems are saying that they expect to win the house and might win the Senate.

Who says this?

Both Clintons,Nancy Pelosi,Charlie Rangel,and many other dems are saying this.

mysteryman wrote:
They are already talking about what they are going to do,things like raise taxes,repeal the Bush tax cuts,raise the minimum wage,and several other things.

Who says this?

Nancy Pelosi,the woman who would be speaker if the dems win.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/06/AR2006100600056.html

mysteryman wrote:
Now,what I am not hearing or seeing is any speculation about what it would mean for the dems if they DONT win the house and senate.

There's no need to speculate. If the GOP maintains control of congress, it will be two more years of more of the same.

mysteryman wrote:
Why is that?

Surely the dems dont really think that they are so universally loved and respected that they wont have anyone vote against them?
So,if the dems lose the election,or dont win either house,what does that say about them as a party?

Does that mean that their ideas are not welcome?
Does that mean that they are not a major player in politics anymore?

I am curious,what does it say about the dems if they dont win?

I suggest you ask again after the election.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:41 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Mystery, Brandon and Asherman...

Are you interested in a serious answer from a progressive Democrat, or is this just flame bait?

I can give an interesting and insightful answer from where I sit if any of you are truly interested.

Yes,I am serious.
I am truly curious about how the dems will handle it if they dont win control of either the house or Senate.
They seem so fixated on the idea that they WILL win that I really think the dems will go totally off the wall if they lose.

Personally,I think if they lose it might spell the death of the democrat party,as a single party.
I see it breaking up into at least 2 but possibly 3 more parties,all under the "umbrella" of the dem party.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 06:26 pm
I am pretty sure the Dems will win one and probably both. I am happy to go on record saying this.

But I am absolutely sure that the split up won't happen. There is widespread support for the Democratic party-- and they have gained nearly 50% of votes for the past 2 elections (and for that matter a couple more before that if I remember).

I can tell you what I will do in the event of a Democratic disappointment. I will keep working for the issues I am passionate about that the candidates (or party) who are most likely to get progress (as I define progress).

The sky won't fall for either party. For better or for worse we are a very divided country and people who don't like what the Republican party is doing have a greater incentive than normal to work together. This will be especially true after a Democratic loss.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:02 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I am pretty sure the Dems will win one and probably both. I am happy to go on record saying this.

In Germany we have a proverb: "paper is patient". Everyone can go on record saying something. But only few ever prove they're for real by putting their money where their mouths are. Are you one of them? Do you truly believe the Democrats will "probably" take the Senate? I bet you $100 that they won't. It should be a tempting opportunity for you if you honestly believe what you're saying. Deal?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:09 am
mysteryman wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Mystery, Brandon and Asherman...

Are you interested in a serious answer from a progressive Democrat, or is this just flame bait?

I can give an interesting and insightful answer from where I sit if any of you are truly interested.

Yes,I am serious.
I am truly curious about how the dems will handle it if they dont win control of either the house or Senate.
They seem so fixated on the idea that they WILL win that I really think the dems will go totally off the wall if they lose.

Personally,I think if they lose it might spell the death of the democrat party,as a single party.
I see it breaking up into at least 2 but possibly 3 more parties,all under the "umbrella" of the dem party.

Although it does not shed my party in a good light, the fact is that we have gotten used to loosing in these last few elections, starting with when republicans took over the house and senate on up to the last presidential election. Though republicans such as yourself have been predicting our death now for some time, we are still living and talking out here and I predict we will still be alive and talking if we don't win enough to take any majorities.

What will really shake up the administration and its crowing fans will be if by some miracle the democrats actually do win the house and senate in November. I just can't quite imagine it frankly.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:13 am
<<laugh>> In my house we have another saying-- "Don't bet money that you don't have", and besides I have no need to prove anything here.

Anyeay, If I had an extra $100 to bet, I would put it into the IEM, where a $100 bet for the democrats to win would win me about $120.

But thanks for the offer <<ebrown steps out to by milk for his baby daughter>>
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:44 am
Re: What if they lose?????
Quote:
mysteryman wrote:
The dems are saying that they expect to win the house and might win the Senate.

Who says this?

Both Clintons,Nancy Pelosi,Charlie Rangel,and many other dems are saying this.

Links?

Quote:
mysteryman wrote:
They are already talking about what they are going to do,things like raise taxes,repeal the Bush tax cuts,raise the minimum wage,and several other things.

Who says this?

Nancy Pelosi,the woman who would be speaker if the dems win.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/06/AR2006100600056.html

Excellent!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:52 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
<<laugh>> In my house we have another saying-- "Don't bet money that you don't have", and besides I have no need to prove anything here.

Anyay, If I had an extra $100 to bet, I would put it into the IEM, where a $100 bet for the democrats to win would win me about $120.

... and you would have won. Even though you didn't end up betting, a tip of the hat is in order. Consider my hat tipped.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:02 am
I'll answer the question, albeit somewhat late.

If the Democrats did not take at least the House back and gotten to within a couple of seats of a Senate majority, they would have had to ask themselves if they had in fact become a second party, one capable of making some noise but no longer capable of actually electing a President or taking the House or Senate. There would have been talk of splitting into two parties, but I doubt it would happen. To have a realistic chance to defeat your opponent, you have to have an amount of money at least near what he has, and no third party at this date can raise those amounts.

In the end, they would have stayed one party and waited for some younger leaders and new leaders to emerge and lead the party to victory.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:50 am
re-reading the first page of this thread, and this vvv in particular,

Asherman wrote:
If the GOP loses badly:

* The Party in power typically loses seats during off year elections.
* The losses may represent local political struggles, but may not signal any real change in the fundamental beliefs of the electorate.
* The Foley scandal may smear Republican candidates indiscriminately.
* The GOP failed to do its best to get out the vote.
* The left and anti-Bush propaganda might find enough willing ears to cost Republican candidates needed votes.
* The GOP has gotten out of step with the vast majority of Americans.

All of those are possible reasons that we might lose the mid-term elections. You should note that many of these "reasons" are a matter of perception.

Personally, I expect the Democrats to make gains in both Houses, but still remain a minority Party in the Congress. I don't think this election is a referendum on President Bush, or his policies.

was mmmmmm interesting
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:38 pm
Naw, not a referendum, surely.

Quote:

source
0 Replies