How can you not believe in evolution? Also ideas on Genesis

aperson

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:42 am
Wilso, thats a bit harsh, isn't it? There are plenty of highly intelligent Christians

LIKE THE GUY WHO TOLD ME ALL THIS. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'M EXPLAINING - I KNOW A CHAPLAIN, WHO HAS WRITTEN TWO BOOKS AND HAS HIS OWN WEBSITE AND HE TOLD ME THIS.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:13 am
Quote:

The evidence is so gapingly obviously; I find it hard to even comprehend why some of you don't believe in evolution.

Because all of the really glaringly obvious evidence refutes it. This includes the total lack of intermediate fossils, the failed fruit-fly experiments which attempted to create macroevolution in the lab, the question Behe describes of irreducible complexity, the Haldane dilemma, the question of genetic death and CCR5, the recent DNA studies on neanderthal remains, the thing about dinosaur images in American Indian petroglyphs and of raw meat turning up inside dinosaur bones suggesting a vastly younger age for them then the 60 million years commonly assumed, and a whole host of other things.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:20 am
The only thing that's completely unproven, and for which there's no evidence is the worthless crap spewed up by religious nut jobs like the moron above.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:23 am
Wilso wrote:
The only thing that's completely unproven, and for which there's no evidence is the worthless crap spewed up by religious nut jobs like the moron above.

I didn't say word one about religion and religion has nothing to do with my estimation of evolutionism and evolutionites. Evolution is junk science and as junk science goes, it's a spectacularly dangerous and harmful example. It was the most major philosophical cornerstone of naziism, communism, and the various eugenics programs.

Moreover, nobody defends any sort of a science theory the way evolution is defended, i.e. to the last man, at all costs, and the truth and evidence be damned. Only religions and lifestyles are defended like that.

But you want to talk about the intelligence or lack thereof of people who do or don't believe in evolutionism? Consider the following article which I've seen posted around on conservative sites. If you can read past the rhetoric, it contains fairly precise descriptions of the two major variants of evolutionism, i.e. Darwinian gradualism and the new Gould/Eldridge "Punctuated Equilibria" variety, and sufficient reason for viewing both as idiotic:

############################################

The big lie which is being promulgated by evolutionists is that there is some sort of a dialectic between evolution and religion. There isn't. In order to have a meaningful dialectic between evolution and religion, you would need a religion which operated on an intellectual level similar to that of evolution, and the only two possible candidates would be voodoo and Rastifari.

The dialectic is between evolution and mathematics. Professing belief in evolution at this juncture amounts to the same thing as claiming not to believe in modern mathematics, probability theory, and logic. It's basically ignorant.

Evolution has been so thoroughly discredited at this point that you assume nobody is defending it because they believe in it anymore, and that they are defending it because they do not like the prospects of having to defend or explain some expect of their lifestyles to God, St. Peter, Muhammed...

To these people I say, you've still got a problem. The problem is that evolution, as a doctrine, is so overwhelmingly STUPID that, faced with a choice of wearing a sweatshirt with a scarlet letter A for Adulteror, F for Fornicator or some such traditional design, or or a big scarlet letter I for IDIOT, you'd actually be better off sticking with one of the traditional choices because, as Clint Eastwood noted in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

God Hates IDIOTS Too...

The best illustration of how stupid evolutionism really is involves trying to become some totally new animal with new organs, a new basic plan for existence, and new requirements for integration between both old and new organs.

Take flying birds for example; suppose you aren't one, and you want to become one. You'll need a baker's dozen highly specialized systems, including wings, flight feathers, a specialized light bone structure, specialized flow-through design heart and lungs, specialized tail, specialized general balance parameters etc.

For starters, every one of these things would be antifunctional until the day on which the whole thing came together, so that the chances of evolving any of these things by any process resembling evolution (mutations plus selection) would amount to an infinitessimal, i.e. one divided by some gigantic number.

In probability theory, to compute the probability of two things happening at once, you multiply the probabilities together. That says that the likelihood of all these things ever happening, best case, is ten or twelve such infinitessimals multiplied together, i.e. a tenth or twelth-order infinitessimal. The whole history of the universe isn't long enough for that to happen once.

All of that was the best case. In real life, it's even worse than that. In real life, natural selection could not plausibly select for hoped-for functionality, which is what would be required in order to evolve flight feathers on something which could not fly apriori. In real life, all you'd ever get would some sort of a random walk around some starting point, rather than the unidircetional march towards a future requirement which evolution requires.

And the real killer, i.e. the thing which simply kills evolutionism dead, is the following consideration: In real life, assuming you were to somehow miraculously evolve the first feature you'd need to become a flying bird, then by the time another 10,000 generations rolled around and you evolved the second such reature, the first, having been disfunctional/antifunctional all the while, would have DE-EVOLVED and either disappeared altogether or become vestigial.

Now, it would be miraculous if, given all the above, some new kind of complex creature with new organs and a new basic plan for life had ever evolved ONCE.

Evolutionism, however (the Theory of Evolution) requires that this has happened countless billions of times, i.e. an essentially infinite number of absolutely zero probability events.

And, if you were starting to think that nothing could possibly be any stupider than believing in evolution despite all of the above (i.e. that the basic stupidity of evolutionism starting from 1980 or thereabouts could not possibly be improved upon), think again. Because there is zero evidence in the fossil record (despite the BS claims of talk.origins "crew" and others of their ilk) to support any sort of a theory involving macroevolution, and because the original conceptions of evolution are flatly refuted by developments in population genetics since the 1950's, the latest incarnation of this theory, Steve Gould and Niles Eldredge's "Punctuated Equilibrium or punc-eek" attempts to claim that these wholesale violations of probabilistic laws all occurred so suddenly as to never leave evidence in the fossil record, and that they all occurred amongst tiny groups of animals living in "peripheral" areas. That says that some velocirapter who wanted to be a bird got together with fifty of his friends and said:

Quote:

Guys, we need flight feathers, and wings, and specialized bones, hearts, lungs, and tails, and we need em NOW; not two years from now. Everybody ready, all together now: OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

You could devise a new religion by taking the single stupidest doctrine from each of the existing religions, and it would not be as stupid as THAT.

But it gets even stupider.

Again, the original Darwinian vision of gradualistic evolution is flatly refuted by the fossil record (Darwinian evolution demanded that the vast bulk of ALL fossils be intermediates) and by the findings of population genetics, particularly the Haldane dilemma and the impossible time requirements for spreading genetic changes through any sizeable herd of animals.

Consider what Gould and other punk-eekers are saying. Punc-eek amounts to a claim that all meaningful evolutionary change takes place in peripheral areas, amongst tiny groups of animals which develop some genetic advantage, and then move out and overwhelm, outcompete, and replace the larger herds. They are claiming that this eliminates the need to spread genetic change through any sizeable herd of animals and, at the same time, is why we never find intermediate fossils (since there are never enough of these CHANGELINGS to leave fossil evidence).

Obvious problems with punctuated equilibria include, minimally:

• It is a pure pseudoscience seeking to explain and actually be proved by a lack of evidence rather than by evidence (all the missing intermediate fossils). In other words, the clowns promoting this BS are claiming that the very lack of intermediate fossils supports the theory. Similarly, Cotton Mather claimed that the fact that nobody had ever seen or heard a witch was proof they were there (if you could SEE them, they wouldn't BE witches...) This kind of logic is less inhibiting than the logic they used to teach in American schools. For instance, I could as easily claim that the fact that I'd never been seen with Tina Turner was all the proof anybody should need that I was sleeping with her. In other words, it might not work terribly well for science, but it's great for fantasies...

http://concerts.ticketsnow.com/Graphics/photos/TinaTurner.jpg

• PE amounts to a claim that inbreeding is the most major source of genetic advancement in the world. Apparently Steve Gould never saw Deliverance...

• PE requires these tiny peripheral groups to conquer vastly larger groups of animals millions if not billions of times, which is like requiring Custer to win at the little Big Horn every day, for millions of years.

• PE requires an eternal victory of animals specifically adapted to localized and parochial conditions over animals which are globally adapted, which never happens in real life.

• For any number of reasons, you need a minimal population of any animal to be viable. This is before the tiny group even gets started in overwhelming the vast herds. A number of American species such as the heath hen became non-viable when their numbers were reduced to a few thousand; at that point, any stroke of bad luck at all, a hard winter, a skewed sex ratio in one generation, a disease of some sort, and it's all over. The heath hen was fine as long as it was spread out over the East coast of the U.S. The point at which it got penned into one of these "peripheral" areas which Gould and Eldredge see as the salvation for evolutionism, it was all over.

The sort of things noted in items 3 and 5 are generally referred to as the "gambler's problem", in this case, the problem facing the tiny group of "peripheral" animals being similar to that facing a gambler trying to beat the house in blackjack or roulette; the house could lose many hands of cards or rolls of the dice without flinching, and the globally-adapted species spread out over a continent could withstand just about anything short of a continental-scale catastrophe without going extinct, while two or three bad rolls of the dice will bankrupt the gambler, and any combination of two or three strokes of bad luck will wipe out the "peripheral" species. Gould's basic method of handling this problem is to ignore it.

And there's one other thing which should be obvious to anybody attempting to read through Gould and Eldridge's BS:

They don't even bother to try to provide a mechanism or technical explaination of any sort for this "punk-eek"

They are claiming that at certain times, amongst tiny groups of animals living in peripheral areas, a "speciation event(TM)" happens, and THEN the rest of it takes place. In other words, they are saying:

Quote:

ASSUMING that Abracadabra-Shazaam(TM) happens, then the rest of the business proceeds as we have described in our scholarly discourse above!

Again, Gould and Eldridge require that the Abracadabra-Shazaam(TM) happen not just once, but countless billions of times, i.e. at least once for every kind of complex creature which has ever walked the Earth. They do not specify whether this amounts to the same Abracadabra-Shazaam each time, or a different kind of Abracadabra-Shazaam for each creature.

I ask you: How could anything be stupider or worse than that? What could possibly be worse than professing to believe in such a thing?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
Wilso wrote:

I'm not sure Gunga is religious, at least in the common sense. He seems to be more of a anti-establishment sci-fi fanatic who has chosen to focus his anger and paranoia on a particular scientific 'establishment'.

As for being a nut job or a moron, his posts speak for themselves.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:53 pm
gungasnake wrote:
It was the most major philosophical cornerstone of naziism, communism, and the various eugenics programs.

Gravity must have been the major philosophical cornerstone of falling down when we are drunk.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:22 pm
Wilso although I do believe in evolution, your blind hatred of religion is making your view completely one sided.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:15 pm
Ok, I spoke to the guy and he says that all this is ORIGINAL!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:31 pm
megamanX, Thanks for sharing the link on "evidence."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:33 pm
Aperson - some of us don't post that much, as years go by. There is some history here re various people's thoughts, if you check out via the search mechanism (admittedly not so great to me) or just go look over the history of the forum.

Which is to say, this is one more thread layer. History can be useful, there have been some articulate posters here re varied in points of view. Some get tired of repetition.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:48 am
What if everything were created like this

God is a bowler, so when it was his turn to bowl he through the ball so hard that when it hit the pins it shattered every pin and created a large dust cloud. As the ball hit and completely destroyed the pins, there was the big bang, and thats how everything came to be. The creatures were just some bacteria on the ball which some how changed into creatures with the magical powers that god has. Whenever he bowls his ball glows of some power and that was the spark that gave us all life.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:02 am
crayon851 wrote:
What if everything were created like this

God is a bowler, so when it was his turn to bowl he through the ball so hard that when it hit the pins it shattered every pin and created a large dust cloud. As the ball hit and completely destroyed the pins, there was the big bang, and thats how everything came to be. The creatures were just some bacteria on the ball which some how changed into creatures with the magical powers that god has. Whenever he bowls his ball glows of some power and that was the spark that gave us all life.

Just as plausible as 'POOF, there it is', if not moreso. You should start a church, and make a killing. This site is certainly evidence that the there are a lot of rubes out there.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:36 pm
You know, when you get down to it, there are two really big problems which most people have with religion, i.e. evolution and the question/problem of evil, and for most people the problem of evil in the world is probably the bigger of the two.

This one takes a number of forms: how does a supposedly omnipotent and loving God tolerate evil; how did a loving God create biting flies and ticks; and then again, how does a loving God do all the ass-kicking you read about in the old testament??

Just a stray thought here, I don't have a perfect answer to all of those kinds of questions, but consider the last one. Leftists and yuppies badmouth God a lot for the stories you read about Canaanites and Amalekites and what not, but consider some of what we read about in our own world, i.e.

http://www.pmw.org.il/

Suppose God were to come down out of the sky and wipe the "palestinians" right now: would you sit there and badmouth him for it, or would you figure those idiots should have thought about such a possibility while they were fitting their kids out for suicide bomb belts??

What if the Amalekites were just BC era "palestinians"??
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:17 pm
Again the basic question:

How can you not believe in evolution?[/color]

Basic answer: By being intelligent and well educated, more or less.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:24 pm
You believe in evolution if you believe in science.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:32 pm
You can believe in evolution if you ignore foundational laws of science such as the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Well, not 'ignore' exactly.................

................ya just gotta say that the 2nd Law doesn't apply to ANYTHING in the universe.

Here's the mantra --

the 2nd Law doesn't apply to open systems

every system in the universe is an open system

therefore, the 2nd Law doesn't apply to anything in the universe

Get it? *wink* *nudge*
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:29 am
real life wrote:
You can believe in evolution if you ignore foundational laws of science such as the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

................ya just gotta say that the 2nd Law doesn't apply to ANYTHING in the universe.

Here's the mantra --

Get it? *wink* *nudge*

You're obviously not an engineer. Nor is the person that told you this garbage. If the second law of thermo didn't apply to open systems, then you could take hot water put it on a stove, force it to cool rapidly and expect to generate a current thtough the resistor on the stovetop.

The second law applies to open systems, fool. You once told me to stick to outerspace, I'm telling you to not even tread in it. You have no understanding of these things, don't even bother posting crap like this.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:30 am
real life is onto something !!!!

..oh wait...

.....there's that pesky sun pooring energy into the atmosphere..!

Damn.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:43 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:

Here's the mantra --

Get it? *wink* *nudge*

You're obviously not an engineer. Nor is the person that told you this garbage. If the second law of thermo didn't apply to open systems, then you could take hot water put it on a stove, force it to cool rapidly and expect to generate a current thtough the resistor on the stovetop.

The second law applies to open systems, fool. You once told me to stick to outerspace, I'm telling you to not even tread in it. You have no understanding of these things, don't even bother posting crap like this.

hi Diest,

Good to hear from you.

You know, I've argued this point with many evolutionists (and BTW I'm with you on this one, I believe the 2nd Law DOES apply) and the mantra that I quoted is what I hear from evolutionists on a regular basis.

They tell me it doesn't apply. I disagree with them.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:19 pm
*squints*

I'm holding you suspect for some sort of punchline, but I am glad that you aren't arguing for the collapse of the 2nd Law.

*watches and waits*
0 Replies