How can you not believe in evolution? Also ideas on Genesis

wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
Below is an excerpt from an essay written by a physicist who is also a Christian:

Quote:
Two common logical fallacies are the Fallacy of Composition (arguing that what is true of the parts must be true of the whole - such as "pennies are light, so a million pennies are light") and the Fallacy of Division (arguing that what is true of the whole must be true of the parts - such as "computers are changing the world, therefore my computer is changing the world").

In thermodynamics we divide properties up into how they behave with respect to scale or division. Intrinsic properties are ones which are the same for the whole system and for any part of it. For example, temperature is an intrinsic property. If you pour half a cup of water into a second cup, both half cups of water have the same temperature which is the temperature they had when they were together in one cup.

Extrinsic properties are proportional to the size of the system. Weight is one example. The two half cups may be at the same temperature as the initial full cup, but they are each only half the weight.

Entropy and energy are extrinsic properties. We can find the energy of the earth by adding up all the energies of everything in it. Similarly, we can find the entropy of the earth by adding up all the entropies of everything in it. We can also find entropy changes by subdivision, so that we can look at what is happening on an individual basis (plant by plant, leaf by leaf, cell by cell, molecule by molecule) regarding absorption of sunlight and the resulting chemical changes.

As an aid for conceptualizing entropy, it is often described as a measurement of disorder. This is not intended as a definition of either entropy or disorder. Entropy is determined by the number of ways you could achieve a state, disorder is defined by the amount of violation of an ordering rule. The assignment "entropy is disorder" is intended to describe situations such as "the more space a gas takes up, the higher its entropy is, and the less you know about where all the molecules are (which in a casual sense means more disorder)". This conceptual link between entropy and disorder should not be interpreted as saying that increased disorder is increased entropy.

An example of how entropy isn't disorder is that if you take a piece of glass, which is an amorphous material (one whose atoms are disordered), and place it in a fridge to cool it down, you will not change the atom locations. The glass remains just as disordered, but its entropy decreases as its temperature drops. In fact, in a very good fridge, the closer you brought it to absolute zero (-273.15 C or -459.67 F) to closer its entropy would become to zero. This would all happen without changing its structural disorder.

To argue that evolution is inconsistent with the second law of thermodynamics it is usually stated that evolution is a continual process of achieving higher order and design, which is against the second law. This is an argument based on casual definition of terms, rather than on quantification of order, design, and entropy.

Source: "Entropy, God and Evolution" by Doug Craigen, PhD
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
real life wrote:
You know, I've argued this point with many evolutionists (and BTW I'm with you on this one, I believe the 2nd Law DOES apply) and the mantra that I quoted is what I hear from evolutionists on a regular basis.

They tell me it doesn't apply. I disagree with them.

What you may have heard from "evolutionists" is that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics does not refute biological evolution. You may wish to read "Entropy, God, and Evolution" by Doug Craigen which I excerpted in an earlier post.

For those who may not be aware of creationist propaganda, creationists misuse scientific terminology to make non-experts believe that evolution is impossible because of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:36 pm
wandeljw wrote:
real life wrote:
You know, I've argued this point with many evolutionists (and BTW I'm with you on this one, I believe the 2nd Law DOES apply) and the mantra that I quoted is what I hear from evolutionists on a regular basis.

What you may have heard from "evolutionists" is that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics does not refute biological evolution. You may wish to read "Entropy, God, and Evolution" by Doug Craigen which I excerpted in an earlier post.

For those who may not be aware of creationist propaganda, creationists misuse scientific terminology to make non-experts believe that evolution is impossible because of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

Great find and great post.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:37 pm
Yeah, I second what maporsch said. Wink
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:09 pm
Who wants to bet "real life" won't be seen on this thread until the subject changes?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:39 pm
Wandel's post is bookmarked for instant replay on whatever thread it is needed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:03 am
Evolution is not a matter of belief. It's clear scientific fact that's there for anyone. The only people who reject it are immature religious nut jobs who have tied their existence to ridiculous ancient superstitions. Without their stupid philosiphy they're afloat in the universe without an anchor.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:23 pm
wandeljw wrote:
real life wrote:

No, wandel, what I hear from evolutionists is that the 2nd Law does not apply to 'open systems'.

When I ask 'which systems in the universe are NOT open?' , the reply is 'they are ALL open'.

Therefore, these are saying that the 2nd Law does NOT apply to any systems in the universe. Some have tried to clarify their position (but made it much worse) by stating that the 2nd Law has theoretical application only, not actual or practical application since all systems are 'open'.

Any can read the comments for yourself. If you think I'm overstating their position, I'd like to know how. It's very straight forward.

Regarding your article from 'the scientist who is a Christian' , it matters not to me if he is or isn't a Christian. I have lots of friends who are Christians and they believe in evolution, too. Theistic evolution is a common position. But it runs afoul of the same problem with the 2nd Law.

(Eorl, you lose.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
real life,

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has been misused in creationist writings to give non-experts the erroneous impression that this principle makes biological evolution impossible.

The exact details of your discussions with "evolutionists" on this subject is not really important.

Science is very specialized. I am not afraid to rely on a consensus of experts on specialized topics.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:48 pm
In this morning's San Jose Merc, there is an article that makes the claim that neanderthals and homo sapiens share over 99 percent DNA to prove we are cousins. This "scientific" finding is another nail in the claims made in the bible about being created in "god's image." Unless, ofcoarse, he's also part neanderthal and homo sapien.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:18 pm
Real life, the 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to EVERYTHING in the universe. The problem is that creationists consistently misinterpret it, specifically that "disorder" as it's used by engineers in regards to entropy is the same thing as "disorder" in the common parlance.

Entropy and the 2nd law refer to disorder on an atomic level, not to the ordering of information in DNA or the mess in your kid's bedroom. Living organisms ALWAYS experience an increase in entropy in the form of waste heat, and evolution NEVER has - or will - violate the 2nd law.

Entropy cannot decrease in a closed system. It CAN decrease in PART of an open system, as long as it increases in another part. Salt can crystallize and its atoms become more ordered, but in doing so heat is given off that increases the entropy of its environment. DNA can evolve into more complex forms, but each chemical reation in the process increases entropy. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I don't know if you keep repeating your mantra through ignorance or a deliberate attempt to deceive yourselves and others. But since entropy and the 2nd law have been explained to you many times and in many ways and you are still posting the same old lies, I suspect the latter.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:54 pm
real life, please state the 2nd law as you understand it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:27 pm
Terry wrote:
real life, please state the 2nd law as you understand it.

You obviously haven't dealt with real life before. You must understand, that he knows more about everything than everybody. He's also the biggest f@cking hyprocite who's ever infested the internet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:30 pm
Gee, Wilso, I didn't know there was another a2k member that felt the same...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:34 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:26 pm
real life wrote:
(Eorl, you lose.)

Pleased to in this case.

Guys, attacking "real life" himself is hardly constructive. I, for one, respect the fact that he's stands his ground and hasn't run away from a difficult (apparently solo) fight. He's also passionate, articulate and persuasive. If only he agreed with everything I said !

I'll attack his position all day long, and it can be frustrating, but I try hard not to make it personal. Ultimately, my understanding of the world increases as a result of discussions with "real life" and for that I'm grateful.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:53 am
"Cheers to real life!"

Terry,

Doesn't the 2nd Law also explain why there can never be a perpetual motion machine?

(I know I could just google it, but....)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
Terry wrote:

Entropy and the 2nd law refer to disorder on an atomic level, not to the ordering of information in DNA

Of what do you think DNA is composed?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 08:31 pm
real life,
Why are you using a subtopic of one scientific discipline to criticize a subtopic in a different scientific discipline?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 01:07 am
wandeljw wrote:
real life,
Why are you using a subtopic of one scientific discipline to criticize a subtopic in a different scientific discipline?

Because his vision of what science is is completely wacky. You must be new Razz
0 Replies