How can you not believe in evolution? Also ideas on Genesis

aperson

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 07:29 pm
Moderator feel free to move this to Spirituality and Religion as I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum!

The evidence is so gapingly obviously; I find it hard to even comprehend why some of you don't believe in evolution.

Genesis is not literal for God's sake.

Although I am not religious I used to be not long ago and I can see from the Christian point(s) of view. The chaplain I talked of in "Evolution? How" when I first found this site is not a fool. In fact he is a lot wiser than most atheists I know, and although I don't agree with him in some of his theories, many of them are very valid.

Although it is highly unlikely that he came up with it himself, his idea on Genesis is as follows: the first bit of Genesis is sort of like a song or poem, with "Evening came, and morning came, the first day" being the chorus or refrain. This is also a visible pattern in the first six verses.

Making-------------------------------Filling

Verse 1------------------------------Verse 4
Day and Night-----------------------Sun, moon and stars

Verse 2 ----------------------------- Verse 5
Vault to separate the waters-------Birds and fishes

Verse 3------------------------------Verse 6
Land----------------------------------Land creatures

Now I'm sure this is pretty obvious to most of you but I will explain anyway. In verse 1 God makes the day and night. 3 verses later he fills the day and night with the sun moon and stars. The same applies to the rest. Although "filling" may not be the exact term to use it is undeniable that there is a connection between verses 1, 2 and 3 and their corresponding ones 3 verses afterwards.

Next: Adam and Eve.

(If he exists) God was not, and is not sexist. The translators of the Bible were. Studies have been done to try to more accurately translate the Bible from Hebrew. The original translators weren't very precise as is made obviously by the changing names of God and various characters from verse to verse. Example: in Genesis 1 and 2, God is refered to as simply God. In chapter 3 he is referred to as the Lord God, and in Genesis 4 he is referred to as the Lord.

Anyway, in Hebrew, it pretty much said that God formed a creature from the earth (or mud). Then he split it in two. Woman did not come from man. They were one and were split. Equal. Then it goes on to tell you about how that is why when a man and woman are married they become one (again).

Now this is all he has got up to telling me about, but I will keep you informed as to what he has to say.

Your feedback is appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,383 • Replies: 293
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:30 pm
Quote:
The evidence is so gapingly obviously; I find it hard to even comprehend why some of you don't believe in evolution.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but that's not evolution.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 01:21 am
I'm not meaning that the ideas on Genesis were the evidence. They are two different parts in my post.

What I do mean is that people can't tell me that they don't believe in evolution because of Genesis.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 01:23 am
Just so that I don't have to answer this question multiple times:

THE STUFF ON GENESIS IS NOT THE GAPINGLY OBVIOUS EVIDENCE PROVING EVOLUTION THAT I SPEAK OF
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:06 pm
Aperson

The idea is very interesting. I think it aims to show that the genesis is written in a poetic form, and that it tells an abstract tale of a possible origin. Not to man, to all organic life.

I've often thought that the event of eve coming from adam is really a tale of cytogenesis. That idea is supported by the alternate translation you refer to. Very interesting.

What are your sources, if I may ask. I'd be interested in checking them out.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:36 pm
I really like the Genisis as poetry thing. That is incredibly intresting to be and an idea i have never heard.

Now for the evolution....NO. This idea has been pedaled so many times. The ppl in this time would not have had this scientific of an idea or belief that we were a soup of life.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:44 pm
How can you not believe in evolution?

Easy, have a belief that conflicts with, and does not depend on, reality.

See my tag..
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:10 pm
Eorl wrote:

See my tag..

How can you not believe in creation?

Easy, have a faith in a system of falsehoods that have been proven wrong many times over and over. Evolution of species to a new form is a falsehood and will never happen nor can it happen.
BUT Evoltuion within species is FACT. A dog not matter what BREED is still just nothing but a dog.

Dogs are dogs, Cats are cats.
Dogs will never become cats, not cats become dogs without intervention of some power, ( by power it is meant some intelligence that can alter the DNA )

Evolution is the lie.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:51 pm
Scott, what do you imagine is the purpose of science? Where is the need for a lie?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:15 am
what if you believe Genesis but not as a literal story of what happened. for example i believe that God created the earth in 7 days as is stated, however the question now is how long are God's days? i mean he is eternal right? he is not limited or controlled by time. so for us to assume that a day for God is 24 hours is incorrect.

as for evolution, i support the idea that God created everything, but at what stage? all it says in the Bible is that he created birds, fish animals and man, nowhere does it say at what stage of evolution they appeared. only man is said to be created as they are today, and are we not the dominant species by far? the only animal with the ability of speech? the only intellectual being? we are way different from all other creatures.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:02 am
Eorl wrote:

There's a s pychological diagnosis for that, having a belief that conflicts with and doesn't depend on reality. Twisted Evil

First off, it is impossible to have such a belief because 'reality' trancends you.
Second, reality catches up to us all in the end, and if you're not prepared when it does you won't like it.

So I think we'd all be better of reconciling with what is than clinging to what we wish were.
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:53 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Eorl wrote:

See my tag..

How can you not believe in creation?

Easy, have a faith in a system of falsehoods that have been proven wrong many times over and over. Evolution of species to a new form is a falsehood and will never happen nor can it happen.
BUT Evoltuion within species is FACT. A dog not matter what BREED is still just nothing but a dog.

Dogs are dogs, Cats are cats.
Dogs will never become cats, not cats become dogs without intervention of some power, ( by power it is meant some intelligence that can alter the DNA )

Evolution is the lie.

Please educate yourself about evolution and its many evidences.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:17 am
Brilliant post, mega. And might I suggest you read the encyclopedia?

OK, perhaps we should all read through several encyclopedias and come back in a year or so to discuss this further.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:19 am
Wow! Nice link! Very informative!
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:05 am
neologist wrote:
Brilliant post, mega. And might I suggest you read the encyclopedia?

OK, perhaps we should all read through several encyclopedias and come back in a year or so to discuss this further.

Rolling Eyes

There's nothing wrong with reading an encyclopedia or two. Recently I have been reading the Animal Life Encyclopedia. In a year or so I'll probably be finished with all 9,000+ pages. (If you were to remove the pictures it would be ~ 5,000 pages, about two and half times as long as the Bible.) I'll probably start reading a generalized encyclopedia sometime after I finish this, though I'll probably step back and work on smaller reading projects. :wink:

The "book" that I linked to will consume a bit of time reading but nowhere near as long as an encyclopedia, or even the Bible for that matter. The origin and development of life is among the most important questions one can ask about the Universe we live in. I think it is also safe to say that most of us have many years to seek the answer to that question. Fortunately, the "book" I linked to does not require that long to read. A person can set aside a few hours per week and get through that "book" in a reasonable amount of time.

You can also have your computer read it to you if you are short on time. Download and install the Opera web browser, go into the preferences dialog, install the voice libraries, and then you can have your computer read text back to you by selected the text you want to read, right-clicking, and choosing the "speak" command from the right-click menu. If you are too busy cooking dinner to sit down and read, crank the volume up on your computer speakers and have the computer read it for you. This is what I did for Baron d'Holbach's "The System of Nature." Smile

I do not know why reading is looked down upon when it concerns such an important question. It is as if people expect several billions of years of organic evolution to be fully explained in a 10-minute YouTube video Confused
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:58 pm
I didnt mean to disparage your link, which was quite on point. I just find it more satisfying to read the opinions of board members in their own words.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 05:24 pm
neologist wrote:
I just find it more satisfying to read the opinions of board members in their own words.

I agree with you there neo, except that the particular post responded to by megaman got more than it deserved with just the link.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:05 pm
Yep, I think the point was that Scott's posts may actually be of more value to everybody if he actually has an idea what it is he's talking about.

(Neo, I'm sure you appreciate religious posts more from those of us who have actually read the bible.)
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:43 pm
neologist wrote:
I didnt mean to disparage your link, which was quite on point. I just find it more satisfying to read the opinions of board members in their own words.

Perhaps your earlier response would've been better if it said "And might I suggest you write the encyclopedia?" Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:14 am
megamanXplosion wrote:
neologist wrote:

Perhaps your earlier response would've been better if it said "And might I suggest you write the encyclopedia?" Razz
Well, what'r ya waitin' fer? Laughing
0 Replies