Gay Canadian Couple, Together 22 Years, Legally Married

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 05:25 am
A Canadian appeals court overturned a ban on gay marriage. A couple, who had been together for 22 years, finally were able to make it legal!
Quote:
Canada Men Wed in 1st Legal Gay Marriage
By TOM COHEN
Associated Press Writer

June 11, 2003, 1:55 AM EDT

TORONTO -- An appeals court ruled that Canada's ban on homosexual marriage was unconstitutional and hours later two Canadian men tied the knot in the country's first legal same-sex wedding.

Michael Leshner and Michael Stark wed Tuesday in a civil ceremony observed by Leshner's 90-year-old mother and about 50 friends and observers.

Quote:
Last month, a British Columbia appeals court also ruled the federal government should change the law, which defines marriage as a union between a man and woman.

The court set a deadline of July 12, 2004, saying that otherwise, it would rewrite the legal definition of marriage to read "the lawful union of two persons to the exclusion of all others."

Do you think that this will have any effect on what happens in the matter of gay marriage in the US?

Link to Legal Gay Marriage in Canada
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,645 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 05:46 am
I just posted a link to a local article on the same decision on the same sex marriage thread. I'll try to attach it here as well ---- link
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:08 am
I suspect it will provide some emotional support to those seeking similar rulings in the US but beyond that I don't think it will have much effect here in the short term.

(Reading the ruling itself is a bit enlightening though.. The Canadian courts have a lot more leeway in making their rulings than US courts do. Some of that leeway is downright scary..)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Booman- I just lookat at my title again, and I realized, that if you looked quickly............... Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

OH!..so that's what this topic is about. When saw it listed, I thought...... oh never mind.
0 Replies

Montana

I highly doubt it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Man, with pot, gay marriage and SARS, I can't wait to hear what the 'Mericans have to say.... Laughing
0 Replies

Anon

I've always had a great amount of respect for the Canadians ... It just became greater!!

Does the Nazi States of America recognize marriages from other countries? Does the ceremony in Ontario require the participants to be citizens??

This is one of the finest examples of humanity I've seen for years!

Anon
0 Replies

Montana

SkisOnFire wrote:
Canadians are even BETTER than their bacon.
At least they eat their oinkers for breakfast
before they have a chance to be elected.

Maybe that's why they're so friendly and happy
while we rot in political rectitude.
Perhaps such healthy spirit comes from the free water and air?

Gee, thanks. I think it just comes from a peaceful enviorment and the fact that our population isn't overwhelming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Quote:
Of the 50 licences issued yesterday at Toronto City Hall, 21 were to same-sex couples. Of those, 15 were male and six were female.

The licences do not have any residency requirements and are good for three months to be used anywhere in Ontario.

Phones were ringing off the hook at the marriage licence office, with callers from across Canada as well as the United States.

link to the full article
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Quote:
I think you're showing your age perhaps

Anon- That happens all the time with me! Laughing
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Canadians are even BETTER than their bacon.
At least they eat their oinkers for breakfast
before they have a chance to be elected.

Maybe that's why they're so friendly and happy
while we rot in political rectitude.
Perhaps such healthy spirit comes from the free water and air?
0 Replies

Montana

Anon wrote:
I've always had a great amount of respect for the Canadians ... It just became greater!!

Does the Nazi States of America recognize marriages from other countries? Does the ceremony in Ontario require the participants to be citizens??

This is one of the finest examples of humanity I've seen for years!

Anon

I agree

Montana (gezzy)
0 Replies

Anon

Laughing

It looks like false advertising, doesn't it Laughing

I think you're showing your age perhaps ... Kind of like the old movie "The Gay Divorcee". Has a whole different take, doesn't it!! Laughing

Anon
0 Replies