Some Questions in vocabulary, Pleaase

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:24 pm
1- Hanger is to closet as tree is to:
(Branch - Bushes - Forest - Ground - Nest)

2. Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
(Smile - Grin - Frown - Touch - Sneer)

3- Paper is to wood as hammer is to:
(wool - glass - water - air - metal )

4- Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
(Horse - Zebra - Deer - Moose - Eland)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,990 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:41 pm
Re: Some Questions in vocabulary, Pleaase
slamonty wrote:
1- Hanger is to closet as tree is to:
(Branch - Bushes - Forest - Ground - Nest)

2. Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
(Smile - Grin - Frown - Touch - Sneer)

3- Paper is to wood as hammer is to:
(wool - glass - water - air - metal )

1. Forest

2.Touch.

3. Metal

4. I would go horse, because it is domesticated.
0 Replies

slamonty

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:47 pm

Thank you dlowan very much for your answers
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:43 am
slamonty wrote:

Thank you dlowan very much for your answers

You are welcome...and welcome to A2k!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:48 am
When I was doing those sorts of tests, I had a good method of dealing with those kinds of questions. I would read the words, (this is to that, as this is to...........) but would not read the choices. I would attempt to figure it out for myself. More often that not, I would come up with the correct answer.

The important thing is that a person has an understanding of what is the relationship between the first set of words, and how they relate to the second set.

I took the Miller Analogies Test, years ago, and got a very high score on it.

http://harcourtassessment.com/haiweb/Cultures/en-US/Harcourt/Community/PostSecondary/Products/MAT/subpages/sampleanalogiesandannotatedanswers.htm
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:54 am
I'm sure you did, Phonenix. And, by the way, would you be kind enough to tell dlowan I feel bad about being crude to her last week and that I will be more of a gentleman in the future.

Thanks.
0 Replies

slamonty

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:08 am
Really, i have come to the best forum with the best people

Thank you very much Phoenix

dlowan answered me the questions and you helped me how can i solve another questions from the same type, thank you
0 Replies

slamonty

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:55 am
thanks gustavratzenhofer to your passage

i have another questions please

1-Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
Milkshake - Juice - Gin - Whiskey - Milk

2-Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
Airplane - Car - Bus - Train - Steamboat
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:57 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm sure you did, Phonenix. And, by the way, would you be kind enough to tell dlowan I feel bad about being crude to her last week and that I will be more of a gentleman in the future.

Thanks.

Wasamatta Gus? Cat got your tongue???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
Naaah ... Gus is just chicken to get anywhere near the bunny until she settles down some.

slamonty -
for your #1, "milkshake", being a concoction of ingredients, would likely fill the definition sought by the test designer, though there's no reason the other choices, presented as they are, without modifier or qualifier, could not be mixtures as well - in fact most whiskey is a blend of spirits.

for your #2, Iwould opine "train" most likely to be the choice sought by the test designers, as the concept embodies the notion of an assembly of units whereas the other choices typically are single units discrete unto themselves. However, argument may be made as well for "steamboat" as it would logical to assume the test designers presume the other choices be powered by internal combustion engines as opposed to the external combustion engine, and further that assumption may be made that wheels are not a feature of steamboats (though, of course, wheels need not be a necessary component of airplanes; floats and skis are not wheels). Then too, one might contend an airplane is the only choice among the offerings capable of flight, whereas the others in common are capable only of surface transport.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
Naaah ... Gus is just chicken to get anywhere near the bunny until she settles down some.

slamonty -
for your #1, I would opine "milkshake", being a concoction of ingredients, would likely fill the definition sought by the test designers, though there's no reason the other choices, presented as they are, without modifier or qualifier, could not be mixtures as well - in fact most whiskey is a blend of spirits.

for your #2, I would opine "train" most likely to be the choice sought by the test designers, as the concept embodies the notion of an assembly of units whereas the other choices typically are single units discrete unto themselves. However, argument may be made as well for "steamboat" as it would logical to assume the test designers presume the other choices be powered by internal combustion engines as opposed to the external combustion engine, and further that assumption may be made that wheels are not a necessary design feature of steamboats (though, of course, wheels need not be a necessary component of airplanes; floats and skis are not wheels). Then too, one might contend "airplane" is the only choice among the offerings capable of flight, whereas the others in common are capable only of surface transport.
0 Replies

slamonty

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
Thanks timberlandko very much, i have got your answers
0 Replies

slamonty

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:16 am

in this question i know the answer will be Horse but i don't know why Horse is correct?
0 Replies