the wolf... translated story

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:42 am
hi all,
I have translated this story as a homework and I want please your opinion of it. I don't know the end of the story so please forgive me, but I want you to comment on the language..

the wolf

The wood animals froze and stared with horror at the wolf as he descended the mountain and reached the forest. The parrot stopped cawing, and the birds trembled.
The wolf chose a place close to them; he smiled and waved his hand greeting them. This scene caused a lot of muttering and movements, but the wolf paid no attention. He waved his tail and took a turn about the place until he found a rock between some trees, just near the stream. There where he settled and began planning for his new home.
The wolf was so noisily engrossed building his house that he made a huge cloud of dust. Then he pulled out small trees and grass to clean the area. The work was going on while animals were getting together cautiously, whispering to each other.
Within two hours, the wolf was done with the pre-building work, so he jumped quickly to the forest to get some wood to prepare for his new dwelling.
When he disappeared among trees, the anxious animals drew closer to each other, and the first audible voice was the parrot's.
"Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!" he shouted.
His words made all the wary animals wince and disappear in a flash, except the turtle, who walked as slowly as ever, encouraging other animals to come back.
"Come on.. It's just the parrot… Come on.. We must discuss this serious matter," she said with a faint voice.
The rabbit was the first to be assured by the turtle's words and, with an acrobatic feat, he was on top of the turtle's shell.
Then, everybody else came: hedgehogs, rats, squirrels and birds of different kinds. The deer also came, batting her beautiful eyes, and took a place alongside a flock of pigeons. Then, ducks and geese came swaying and shaking off their wet feathers to dry them. The monkey, though late, was not to miss this important event. Taking his usual way of transportation by jumping from one branch to the other, and he joined the others. The last one to come was the fox. He showed up wagging his tale and his eyes shining slyly.
When the turtle was sure that everyone was there, she spoke:
"We have been living here peacefully and quietly for a long time. Each one of us knows his rights and carries on his duties, but this new arrival… the wolf."
The parrot interrupted again: "Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!", and they all looked around, then laughed.
The deer shyly suggested: "We don't want him here. It's our land."
Birds seemed to be pleased by her words and waved their wings in agreement.
The squirrel added: "We must think carefully before we come to a decision".
The monkey said bravely: "Well, I have no fear of this wolf, yet I agree. We must cooperate",
But the fox had a different opinion: "Oh, calm down fellows.. The wolf is an animal.. just like us.. and he's kind too. Haven't you seen him when he waved his hand to greet us? He's come here to live with us peacefully".
This suggestion set off an uproar that the parrot shouted once more as he did before:
"Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!"
The mention of this animal's name made them silent again, so the turtle took the opportunity and continued: "The wolf is a great danger to all of us, and we shall not believe you fox; and I can prove to you how wicked your peaceful wolf is".
"Really! And how, you crawling boss?!" the fox replied mockingly.
"Put a piece of meat on the rock he has chosen" the turtle said wisely. "and when he comes back and starts eating, go , you brave fox, and try to share it with him. Try it, and you'll see."
A noise began with some chickens' remark: "We eat cereals", geese supported "so do we", and pigeons flied to agree with their partners, while rabbits gathered and began to champ grass, and the monkey handed a banana to the parrot.
They all stopped for a while when the turtle spoke: "Wolves love themselves and only themselves. They fight each other for food. We'll work together to banish him". Then she turned away and said: " Come with me to our meeting area, there, we are going to put a plan to get rid of this intruder."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 645 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 01:26 pm
Re: the wolf... translated story
I'll start with the first paragraph, Proudgirl. The animals are probably not made of wood, but rather live in the woods, an area densely populated with trees. Please note that this is not a plural construction, so, while you may live in a single tree-dense area, you do not live in a wood nor in the wood. It is gramatically correct to use a noun as adjective, so you could use woods animals. However, it does not sound very native. It is more common in the U.S. to say woodland animals.

Proudgirl wrote:
The woodland animals froze and stared with horror at the wolf as he descended the mountain and reached the forest. The parrot stopped cawing, and the birds trembled.
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:41 am
but I have chequed Longman dictionary and it says that (wood) can be used and it is the same as (the woods). or do you mean that I can't use it befor animals only?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:06 pm
Proudgirl wrote:
but I have chequed Longman dictionary and it says that (wood) can be used and it is the same as (the woods). or do you mean that I can't use it befor animals only?

You are correct that wood is acceptable. It is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), which does not even acknowledge woods , except as a plural form of wood.

Quote:
2. a. A collection of trees growing more or less thickly together (esp. naturally, as distinguished from a plantation), of considerable extent, usually larger than a grove or copse (but including these), and smaller than a forest; a piece of ground covered with trees, with or without undergrowth.

In fact, the only reference to woods in the OED is in the following:

Quote:
b. out of the wood (U.S. woods). (Cf. quot. 1664 in sense 4.)

From Dictionary.com (more American usage):

Quote:
7. Often, woods. (used with a singular or plural verb) a large and thick collection of growing trees; a grove or forest: They picnicked in the woods.

It is interesting to note that most of the more modern usage references in the OED use woods, but I will again concede that the use of wood is acceptable.

However, I will add that I have rarely, if ever, heard such usage in my lifetime and would maintain that it would sound foreign to most U.S. speakers. I will defer to our British, Aussie, and Kiwi cousins as to how it sounds to them.

Incidentally, if cheque is listed in the Longman Dictionary as an acceptable alternative spelling for the verb check then you need to examine closely whether such usage pertains to a significant region or time period for the purpose of your studies. Do NOT depend on one dictionary.
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:37 am
I'm sorry, I've made a terrible mistake.. The word check can be written as (cheque) when it's only a noun and not a verb.
How did I do such a mistake, I was quite sure that I was right.

Thanks anyway for the infromation.
I already have 2 dictionaries to depend on. and I'm thinking of adding more...
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:40 am
I'm sorry, I've made a terrible mistake.. The word check can be written as (cheque) when it's only a noun and not a verb.
How did I do such a mistake, I was quite sure that I was right.

Thanks anyway for the infromation.
I already have 2 dictionaries to depend on. and I'm thinking of adding more...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:21 am
The wood animals froze- use of the word wood here is ambiguouse, could mean animals made of wood or animals living in a wood. The word certainly sounds awkward. As the animals belong to the wood, woods' animals would be reasonable. Could forest be substituted, either forest animals or forests' animals could be acceptable. rereading i can see forest would be acceptable.
Have you noted where i have used apostrophes?

The parrot stopped cawing- Parrots do not "caw" they would squawk or perhaps screech. Crows or ravens would caw

he smiled and waved his hand wolves do not have hands they have paws

There where he settled and began planning for his new home- "where" is not required. "for" is not required but acceptable.

The wolf was so noisily engrossed building his house that he made a huge cloud of dust Rewrite- the wolf was noisily engrosed in building his house, a huge cloud of dust rose above him. He pulled out.....

...drew closer to each other, and the first audible voice There is some contention with the use of " , and " I personally dont like , and. Either leave the comma out or the and.

Read carefully and look for my words in (brackets)

When he disappeared among trees, the anxious animals drew closer to each other, and the first audible voice was the parrot's.
"Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!" he shouted. he screeched
His words made all the wary animals wince and disappear in a flash, except the turtle, who walked as slowly as ever, encouraging other animals to come back.
"Come on.. It's just the parrot… Come on.. We must discuss this serious matter," she said with a faint voice.

The rabbit was the first to be assured by the turtle's words and, with an acrobatic feat, he was on top of the turtle's shell.
Then, everybody else came: hedgehogs, rats, squirrels and birds of different kinds. The deer also came, batting her beautiful eyes, and took a place alongside a flock of pigeons. Then, ducks and geese came swaying and shaking off their wet feathers to dry them. The monkey, though late, was not to miss this important event. Taking his usual way of transportation by jumping from one branch to the other, and he joined the others. The last one to come was the fox. He showed up wagging his tale (tail) and his eyes shining slyly.
When the turtle was sure that everyone was there, she spoke:
"We have been living here peacefully and quietly for a long time. Each one of us knows his rights and carries on his duties, but this new arrival… the wolf."
The parrot interrupted again: "Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!", and they all looked around, then laughed.
The deer shyly suggested: "We don't want him here. It's our land."
Birds seemed to be pleased by her words and waved (flapped) their wings in agreement.
The squirrel added: "We must think carefully before we come to a decision".
The monkey said bravely: "Well, I have no fear of this wolf, yet I agree. We must cooperate",
But the fox had a different opinion: "Oh, calm down fellows.. The wolf is an animal.. just like us.. and he's kind too. Haven't you seen him when he waved his hand (paw) to greet us? He's come here to live with us peacefully".
This suggestion set off an uproar that the parrot shouted (screeched) once more as he did before:
"Wolf… Wolf…Wolf!"
The mention of this animal's name made them silent again, so the turtle took the opportunity and continued: "The wolf is a great danger to all of us, and we shall not believe you fox; and (no need for and) I can prove to you how wicked your peaceful wolf is".
"Really! And how, you crawling boss?!"(is "bossy boots" suitable?) the fox replied mockingly.
"Put a piece of meat on the rock he has chosen" the turtle said wisely. "and when he comes back and starts eating, go , you brave fox, and try to share it with him. Try it, and you'll see."
A noise began with some chickens' remark: "We eat cereals", (the) geese supported "so do we", and pigeons flied (flew) to agree with their partners, while (the) rabbits gathered and began to champ grass, and the monkey handed a banana to the parrot.
They all stopped for a while when the turtle spoke: "Wolves love themselves and only themselves. They fight each other for food. We'll work together to banish him". Then she turned away and said: " Come with me to our meeting area, (. instead of ,) there, we are going to put (make) a plan to get rid of this intruder."
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:53 am
In order to make a good fiction it has to be plausible.

The geographic distribution of the wolf and the parrot don't really match...
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
wow,, that was amazing.
I don't believe that I've made some of the mistakes you've corrected. some of them are the abcs of English.. others I didn't know what to do about them and you've helped me so much so thanks.

Quote:
In order to make a good fiction it has to be plausible.

The geographic distribution of the wolf and the parrot don't really match...

true, but it's a children's story.. and it's translated, I don't have so much freedom to chage the discriptions.
0 Replies