Mel Gibson, holocaust denier.

au1929

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:29 pm
Mel Gibson's new Movie...called "the Passion"

A few Sundays ago (March 9, 2003) there was an article in The New York Times Magazine section about Mel Gibson. He is making a movie about the last twelve hours
in the life of Jesus. He is going to show that the Jews killed him. He is filming this in Latin and Aramaic with no subtitles. He belongs to a group that believes this Roman Catholic Church is too liberal and that things should go back to the way they used to be before 1965 when the church apologized to the Jews for their behavior towards
them. His father says that the "Second Vatican Council was a plot put out by the Jews."
Hutton Gibson, his father, also believes that 911 happened not by terrorists on planes but by "remote control." He also believes that the Holocaust never
happened. He says that you cannot dispose of so many bodies and his new wife says "There weren't even that many Jews in all of Europe." and then Hutton adds "Anyway, there were more after the war than before." When asked if Jews might be offended by his movie, Mel Gibson says: "It's not meant to. I think it's meant to just tell the truth. I want to be as truthful as possible. But when you look at the reasons Christ came, he was crucified-he died for all mankind and he suffered for all mankind. So that, really, anyone who transgresses has to look at their own part or look at their own culpability."

Words fail me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 23,162 • Replies: 141
Topic Closed
No top replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:33 pm
You said Hutton Gibson is a holocaust denier, but not specifically Mel. Are there any quotes from him to that effect?
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:35 pm
Well, Gibson père seems to be a hateful idiot . . . but there is nothing in what you've written here that shows the Mel (idiot though he may be) has subscribed to denying the holocaust. I'm not defending him, i'm just not going to rush to condemnation without more evidence. Knowing nothing about the proposed motion picture other than how it is characterized here, it wouldn't be fair for me to condemn him.

That being said, nothing indicative of monumental stupidity on the part of motion picture stars ever surprises me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
More about the background:
The Passion
0 Replies

fishin

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 02:50 pm
Good catch Walter. I was going to post that link myself. Gotta love Snopes! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:23 pm
My god, people, Mel Gibson is only an actor. Why give an actor so much voice on an issue, if you know he's stupid? c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
C.I.
No one is giving him voice he is taking it. Consider the impact of the movie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
If it is in Aramaic and Latin, it's impact will be negligible. The sort of yokels who rush to judgment such as "the Jews are Christ killers" likely don't have an attention span of several hours to offer, and certainly would quickly grow bored of such a movie without subtitles.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
I read that article when it appeared in the NY Times Magazine. Gibson's father sounds nuts, and while Mel is too smart to agree with dad publicly, I'd imagine the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

Those who disapprove can do what the righties like to do to Dixie Chicks they don't like: stop paying for his product...
0 Replies

au1929

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
From what I had heard about the movie even without language the meaning will come through loud and clear. The movie mirrors Mel Gibsons beliefs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:21 pm
I don't watch Mel's movies anyway, but I will follow this story to see how it ends.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:37 pm
Actually, EB, i found Bounty to be one of the best historical movies i've ever seen--with the caveat that it is necessary to ignore Mel and imagine a more plausible Fletcher Christian. Anthony Hopkins did a tour de force as Lieutenant William Bligh.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:04 pm
I watched it and and a few other early ones. I just think he's off in a bad direction with his newer stuff.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 07:35 pm
I bet Mel's the one hiding the WMDs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:04 pm
Him or his dad, one . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Hey, you guys leave my sweet Mel alone.
0 Replies

cavfancier

What's this I hear about Mel Gibson attending a holocaust dinner? Oops, wrong thread...
0 Replies

Sofia

Mel went on O'Reilly months ago, and basically said the press was calling his dad, because they knew he had some wacky views. Mel said this was because Hollywood didn't want him to make his Jesus movie, and they were boondoggin' him.

(He didn't say 'boondoggin'. I paraphrased.)

He was very cute while he was saying it, but I wished he'd worn the braveheart wig. Mmmmm.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Well, one thing we know for sure, dude doesn't use condoms....
0 Replies

Sofia

He is of the seed-spreadin' persuasion.
0 Replies