Mel Gibson's divorce

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
So, I have to assume Mel Gibson's wife, who filed for divorce, is a catholic also.

I was raised a catholic, albeit not Mel's flavor, but I seem to remember something about no divorce. Annulment yes, separation yes, divorce no.

If this are also going to get an annulment, well, what about the 7 kids they've had together?

If they get a divorce, not recognized by their religion, if they start seeing someone else, won't that be infidelity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,416 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:46 am
@chai2,
Not sure about the 7 kids ages for sure, but my guess is that they are older now - most of them may be out of school by now.

I also wonder if Mrs. Gibson decided to divorce now because the kids are now adults (or close to it).

You are correct if they only get divorced and not an annulement then by seeing anyone else it would be in the Church's eyes as infidelity. I am not a Catholic expert (grew up, but do not practice it now) - but it would seem to me if they were to get an annulement then they kids would be born out of wedlock as an annulement is as if the marriage never took place - at least that is my understanding.
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:21 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not sure about the 7 kids ages for sure, but my guess is that they are older now - most of them may be out of school by now.

I also wonder if Mrs. Gibson decided to divorce now because the kids are now adults (or close to it).

You are correct if they only get divorced and not an annulement then by seeing anyone else it would be in the Church's eyes as infidelity. I am not a Catholic expert (grew up, but do not practice it now) - but it would seem to me if they were to get an annulement then they kids would be born out of wedlock as an annulement is as if the marriage never took place - at least that is my understanding.

Exactly.

How do you explain to the children (adults or no) that have been raised in the catholic faith that they are bastards, and the result of illicit sex?

How do you show that 27 years of living together, having children together, all the other things that occured in their lives over the years, was all a lie, that a marriage never existed during that entire time?

According to the their faith, they can live apart, but remain married. Wouldn't that be preferable to having to tell your children you were never married, and everything done in raising them was outside the church?

I suppose if the wife has decided she's no longer a catholic, she can get a divorce, and mel can still consider himself married.

wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:54 am
@chai2,
I do not believe that Mel Gibson will ask for an annulment. He claims to be a devout Catholic. He would be labeled a hypocrite. (I know he has been labeled negatively about other things, but he would lose all credibility if he requests annulment.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:56 pm
@chai2,
Well seems he doesn't have a problem divorcing either....

"Mel Gibson filed a response to the divorce within four hours of his wife's filing, stating that the couple separated in late August 2006. He does not want to pay Robyn Gibson spousal support and is seeking that attorneys' fees be paid out of the couple's joint property, the documents show."

So sounds like he wants it as well. I checked and they do have one son who is 10 - all the other children are over 18.

0 Replies

lindapg27

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:54 pm
@Linkat,
I went to "ask a priest" online. Annulment in the catholic faith has nothing to do with legitimacy of the children according to that website. If he has neglected a part of the marriage whatever that may be a priest will be able to determine if that is grounds for an annulment. Thanks!
chai2

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:35 pm
@lindapg27,
lindapg27 wrote:

I went to "ask a priest" online. Annulment in the catholic faith has nothing to do with legitimacy of the children according to that website. If he has neglected a part of the marriage whatever that may be a priest will be able to determine if that is grounds for an annulment. Thanks!

wow, you're right, I looked and found this info online....

QUESTION: Will my children be illegitimate if my marriage is annulled?

Answer: NO! This is a grave misconception. The marital status of the parents does not affect the status of the children. All children are created in God's image and have equal status in the church. Neither civil law nor church law considers the children of an annulled marriage illegitimate. Nor does the annulment imply that the children were not the fruit of a genuine human love. Annulment is simply a decision on the circumstances surrounding a marriage that could prevent that marriage from being a sacramental marriage.

I really don't understand that though...for catholics, if the marriage wasn't a sacrament, then it wasn't a marriage...

Maybe I see the point that catholics look at people of another religion, or atheists, and acknowledge their kids are legit.

But, it still doesn't make sense to me.
JPB

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:49 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Annulment is simply a decision on the circumstances surrounding a marriage that could prevent that marriage from being a sacramental marriage.

$10,000 donated to the church doesn't hurt either.

I have a friend whose first marriage was in a Catholic ceremony. Her husband was a sleazeball and they eventually divorced. She remarried in an Episcopal service. Many years later she found out that her husband was pursuing an annulment because he wanted to remarry in the Catholic church, which could only happen if the first marriage was annulled.

He admitted his infidelities during his first marriage and the ruling from Rome was that he was too immature to take the wedding vows when he took them the first time. The annulment was granted and he remarried in the church. Cash changed hands.
JPB

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:56 pm
@JPB,
Oh... They're a bargain in St Cloud, MN!

Quote:
An ordinary annulment is $500.00 with $100.00 being due at the time the case is submitted. The remainder can be paid in monthly payments. The Diocese of St. Cloud heavily subsidizes the Tribunal. source
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:44 am
@chai2,
Well I think it is only fair - not really the kids fault, but I agree it doesn't make sense.

Seems like an annulement is kind of a way out like a divorce - just that the priest says it is ok rather than a judge.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:45 am
@JPB,
I've heard the same thing - all you need to do is slap a wad of cash into the priest's hands and all is forgiven. But of course this is simply just rumor.
djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:47 am
i hear he's joined a new church, the church of "i'm bangin' a 24 year old russian pop star", he plans to attend services regularily
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:47 am
@Linkat,
oh, that just couldn't be true.

I refuse to believe such things could go on.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:03 pm
@chai2,
Well the nice thing is (at least for Mel) that he should be fine getting an annulement - didn't he buy his own church? At least I believe he is a major source financially for his independent church.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 02:43 pm
More than two weeks after his wife filed for divorce, Mel Gibson and girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva made their first public appearance at the X-Men Origins: Wolverine screening in L.A. Tuesday.

Holding hands, the 53-year-old actor -- in a black suit with a dark gray shirt -- and Grigorieva, 38, did not stop to pose for photographers, instead rushing inside Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 03:48 pm
@JPB,
quote="JPB"]
Oh... They're a bargain in St Cloud, MN!

Quote:
An ordinary annulment is $500.00 with $100.00 being due at the time the case is submitted.
The remainder can be paid in monthly payments.
The Diocese of St. Cloud heavily subsidizes the Tribunal. source

That 's GREAT!
I am almost tempted to get married.
0 Replies