HIV

Nokia

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:15 am
Hallo
I have some questions abou HIV
1. Are men and women both equally at risk?
2 What are the chances that an uninfected man get the disease if he has unprotecetd sex with an infected woman?
3What are the chances that an uninfected woman get the disease if she has unprotected sex with an infected man?
4. How does the virous enter the body of a man when he has unprotected sex? Is it through the penis hole or through the sensitive skin of the penis, or both?
5 do you definitely get the disease even if you have only one time sex with an infected person?
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,459 • Replies: 19
No top replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:24 am
1. Yes both have equal risk
2, 3. Not statistically possible to predict, but its high a chance (i.e. more than 50%)
4. via genital hole or cuts or oversensitive genital skin
5. Most likely. Chances are less only if the sex had been oral or dry i.e. w/o copulation.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:08 am
Neither poster is correct, as neither has distinguished between AIDS and HIV.

Please do so, before proceeding further. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:25 am
My answers do not change may it be HIV (virus) or AIDS (the disease), as an HIV +ve person has high risk of contracting AIDS, So whenever the questioner asked about disease I understood it to be AIDS.

And if the answers change (wrt virus / disease) you can guide us with more appropriate ones.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:32 am
Miller wrote:

Doesnt the virus have to be HIV form first then develops into AIDS?!
0 Replies

Nokia

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:04 am
I don't see much difference between HIV and aids.
if you are HIV+ it means that sooner or later you will get aids and since there's no cure for that you'll kick the bucket before long.
HIV for me means aids. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:14 am
Nokia wrote:
if you are HIV+ it means that sooner or later you will get aids and since there's no cure for that you'll kick the bucket before long.

I see your point but HIV+ people can live with it for years(with medication) before it turns into AIDS.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:16 am
Nokia it is not "necessary" for an HIV+ person to develop AIDS.

HIV + person may live with the virus all his life (like High BP patients, Diabetes patients) and by following a strict Healthy Life, may not develop AIDS at all .
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:13 am
From Wiki:

Human immunodeficiency virus or HIV is a retrovirus that causes Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS), a condition in which the immune system begins to fail, leading to life-threatening opportunistic infections.

HIV: a virus
AIDS: when your immune system begins to fail because the virus (HIV) has replicated in your body so much
(my definitions)

A few things Nokia:
HIV is not the same as AIDS
HIV is not a death sentence and it doesn't mean you will develop AIDS.
You may, or you may not.
There are many different strains of HIV - not one virus - and a person can carry more than one at a time.

Your best bet to learn about this is at a clinic. It's free. You will learn a lot.

That last point was something I only learned recently. A guy asked the question "If you have HIV, why not have sex with another HIV + person so that you can go without a condom?"

I was surprised to hear that an HIV + person can pass on a second or third HIV strain to an HIV + partner.

So always wear condoms!

Miller, is my info correct?

Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:31 pm
Re: HIV
1. Are men and women both equally at risk? - Not exactly. The HIV virus is found in body fluids of an infected individuals. The highest concentrations are found in blood and semen. In order to become infected an exchange of fluids containing virulent HIV antigens must be transferred from one individual to another. The likelihood of a woman passing body fluids into a man in much lower than the likelihood of a man passing body fluids into a woman during sex. Female to male transfer is from blood to blood transfer which happens occasionally during intercourse but not nearly as often as semen transfer into the woman from the man.

2 What are the chances that an uninfected man get the disease if he has unprotecetd sex with an infected woman? Blood to blood transfer is required.

3What are the chances that an uninfected woman get the disease if she has unprotected sex with an infected man? Very high if the infected man is not being treated for HIV.

4. How does the virus enter the body of a man when he has unprotected sex? Is it through the penis hole or through the sensitive skin of the penis, or both? It could be from pre-existing openings in the skin or tears that occur during intercourse. Remember though, there needs to be blood present in the female for the infection to transfer (small vaginal tears are sufficient).

5 do you definitely get the disease even if you have only one time sex with an infected person? There is no such thing as definitely in medicine, but the likelihood is high if the infected individual is not being treated for the disease. Many HIV positive individuals are taking numerous medications to inhibit the growth of the virus. They are still HIV infected, but possibly not at a level that can be demonstrated by testing or transmitted via unprotected sex.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:38 pm
Nokia wrote:

Definitely not true. This was the thinking in the late '80s, early '90s, but treatment advances have made HIV positivity a chronic condition rather than an acute one. Proper lifelong treatment is the key.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:59 pm
Re: HIV
JPB wrote:
1. Are men and women both equally at risk? - Not exactly. The HIV virus is found in body fluids of an infected individuals. The highest concentrations are found in blood and semen. In order to become infected an exchange of fluids containing virulent HIV antigens must be transferred from one individual to another. The likelihood of a woman passing body fluids into a man in much lower than the likelihood of a man passing body fluids into a woman during sex. Female to male transfer is from blood to blood transfer which happens occasionally during intercourse but not nearly as often as semen transfer into the woman from the man.

I should qualify this to say that other high risk activities such as sharing needles present an equal risk to both males and females because there is an equal risk of blood to blood transfer.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 09:25 pm
I don't understand why it's not more well known the risk of transfer from hetrosexual intercourse is pretty low.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I don't understand why it's not more well known the risk of transfer from hetrosexual intercourse is pretty low.

Actually, you're wrong. The most at-risk group is african heterosexual females.

The risk of infection, when viewed from the perspective of the mechanics thereof, is equal for both hetero- and homosexual groups. It is not a "gay disease."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm
I didn't mean it was a gay disease. Guess I should have clarified I meant the chance for a male to receive it.

Banging 'em dry in Africa can't help the cause:

http://www.salon.com/health/sex/urge/world/1999/12/10/drysex/
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 01:30 am
Ah, yes. In that respect you're right. It's harder for the.... "pitcher" to get it in either homo- or hetero- lovins.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:03 am
Miller wrote:

Well, that's not very helpful is it Miller?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:06 am
I'm sorry but there is something about Nokia that makes my skin crawl.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:34 am
Theres a report on the radio about 20 year old girls not carrying around condoms when they go out.70% say catching hiv is 'not on their radar'.

This is winding me up, my reasons are-

Not everybody carries them because not everbody sh*gs someone the first chance they get.I suppose that was a personal reason as i dont carry them on me.

There pathetic excuses are-They dont think they are at risk.Its embarrasing to be caught with a condom.

Some even say it was hardly mentioned at school.

Do people have there head in the sand when it comes the prevention of spreading/catching HIV???
Do you think enough is being done re education?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:35 am
I think the attitude of most young people (in the Uk) is that HIV / AIDS is something that happens to other, older and usually gay people and it isn't really a threat to them but as someone pointed out previously, the virus is fastest growing at the moment among young heterosexual females.

When I was working at the family planning clinic a few years back, I was responsible for logging the swab results and most of the positive results for things like chlamidya, ghonnorhea and trichomonas were for young women about 13-25 years of age. Scary.

(sorry for any STD spelling errors!)
0 Replies