Gallup: Americans Say Country Ready for a Female President

snood

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:08 am
I believe my eyes and ears. If that man reads classic literature, then the mission was accomplished in Iraq three years ago.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:46 pm
snood wrote:
I believe my eyes and ears. If that man reads classic literature, then the mission was accomplished in Iraq three years ago.

What a perfectly asinine comment.

Your ears, if they had been listening, would have heard representations by both the president and his spokesman that he did, indeed, read The Stranger. They would not have heard anything other than the sort of snide opinion you offer to prove he did not.

Unless your eyes have come across a test concerning The Stranger, miserably failed by Bush, they have not come across any evidence to contest the assertion that he read the book.

This is a perfect example of the particularly distasteful and utterly unfounded conceit of Liberals: Conservatives, in general, and Bush in particular are low grade morons when compared with the enlightened Left.

I suggest that you have no idea of what books Bush may or may not have read, but simply assume that if he reads at all, his favorite authors are Zane Grey and Tom Clancey.

Clearly the man is not an intellectual giant, and whether or not, as president, he needs to be is a subject for another debate. His remarks about the Camus novel: "It was interesting and a fast read," are perfectly consistent with the man's literary proclivity. There is nothing but prejudice to suggest that the claim that he read the book is a lie.

Your comments are, unfortunately, so typical of the knee-jerk responses of Liberals in general and specifically A2K Liberals whenever the subject of Bush comes up.

Dianne Rheames (sp?) had an excellent show on NPR relative to The Stranger and sparked by the "news" that Bush had read the book.

Her guests were a Philosophy Prof. at Georgetown, an author, and a reporter for the Washington Post. Interestingly enough, not one of them even hinted at disbelieving the assertion that Bush read the book. Only one, the Post reporter (surprise surprise) made any political assertions about the "news," and it was singular and lame.

When was the last time you had a discussion concerning the First and Second Awakenings in America? Oh wait, that involves religion and can't, therefore, be intellectual. My mistake.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:34 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:

Your ears, if they had been listening, would have heard representations by both the president and his spokesman that he did, indeed, read The Stranger. They would not have heard anything other than the sort of snide opinion you offer to prove he did not.

Unless your eyes have come across a test concerning The Stranger, miserably failed by Bush, they have not come across any evidence to contest the assertion that he read the book.

This is a perfect example of the particularly distasteful and utterly unfounded conceit of Liberals: Conservatives, in general, and Bush in particular are low grade morons when compared with the enlightened Left.

I suggest that you have no idea of what books Bush may or may not have read, but simply assume that if he reads at all, his favorite authors are Zane Grey and Tom Clancey.

Clearly the man is not an intellectual giant, and whether or not, as president, he needs to be is a subject for another debate. His remarks about the Camus novel: "It was interesting and a fast read," are perfectly consistent with the man's literary proclivity. There is nothing but prejudice to suggest that the claim that he read the book is a lie.

Your comments are, unfortunately, so typical of the knee-jerk responses of Liberals in general and specifically A2K Liberals whenever the subject of Bush comes up.

Dianne Rheames (sp?) had an excellent show on NPR relative to The Stranger and sparked by the "news" that Bush had read the book.

Her guests were a Philosophy Prof. at Georgetown, an author, and a reporter for the Washington Post. Interestingly enough, not one of them even hinted at disbelieving the assertion that Bush read the book. Only one, the Post reporter (surprise surprise) made any political assertions about the "news," and it was singular and lame.

When was the last time you had a discussion concerning the First and Second Awakenings in America? Oh wait, that involves religion and can't, therefore, be intellectual. My mistake.

Bush says he read The Stranger. You say its asinine, my not believing him - I think you're asinine for believing it.

If you think the man has, during his time in intense public scrutiny as president, demonstrated the type of thinking that suggests an interest in existentialism, that's your privilege. I don't.

If you think we should just take him at his word that he read and understood this story, that's your privilege. I don't.

No need to make a frikkin speech. We just disagree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:45 pm
Tolstoy and Camus...

now there's a pair.

I'm out of it since I haven't read Camus.

Any way any of you could describe why we should think of these two differently, however obvious, and delineate the various reasons why?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:54 pm
Sorry, I just answered the question, not gathering info for context.

How could this relate to Bush?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:05 pm
snood wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:

Bush says he read The Stranger. You say its asinine, my not believing him - I think you're asinine for believing it.

If you think the man has, during his time in intense public scrutiny as president, demonstrated the type of thinking that suggests an interest in existentialism, that's your privilege. I don't.

If you think we should just take him at his word that he read and understood this story, that's your privilege. I don't.

No need to make a frikkin speech. We just disagree.

By that absurd standard, all dialogue on A2K should consist of a statement and a series of "I agree," and "I disagree" replies.

Let's return to your expression of "I don't agree:"

"Then him and his pet pig flew off to beddy bye. How gullible are you?"

A bit more, one could argue, than "I don't agree," and so spare us this last minute argument that it is all simply a matter of honest opinions.

Reread my post. What was particularly asinine was not your disbelief that Bush read the book, but your statement: "I believe my eyes and ears. If that man reads classic literature, then the mission was accomplished in Iraq three years ago."

You have introduced the question of whether or not Bush "understood" the book: "If you think we should just take him at his word that he read and understood this story, that's your privilege. I don't."

I take him at his word that he read the book. Since, again, there is no reason to believe that he was lying about having read the "quick read" book other than prejudice, I assert that my opinion is far better founded than yours.

Neither I, nor Bush, have suggested that he "understood" the book (or as you write, "the story"), but then who does? Do you? For that matter have you ever read the book? I have (no particularly great accomplishment) and I'm not sure I understand "the story" nor do all of the many people with whom I have discussed it. In fact one of the consistent comments in discussions about this book that it is open to all sorts of interpretations and closed to a simple explanation of "understanding," but then perhaps you have a greater insight into what Camus wrote, and so can easily recognize someone who does not "understand" the book.

I'm sure this has come across to you as another "speech." As you may prefer to simply drop self-described pithy and brief comments into the discussions, it's not surprising that you might consider a post beyond two or three sentences a speech.

But then, hey...we just disagree ---right?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:09 pm
Not at all, Finn - I find your penchant for public mental masturbation fascinating - continue at your conveinience. I'm just through with this particular hubbub about your stalwart president's literary proclivities.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
snood wrote:
Not at all, Finn - I find your penchant for public mental masturbation fascinating - continue at your conveinience. I'm just through with this particular hubbub about your stalwart president's literary proclivities.

Sure snood - another example of leftie "cut and run."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:14 pm
You're not paying attention - I'm not going anywhere. Please continue. The horse is not quite glue yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:17 pm
I see I showed up on this thread two times tired. Still, I doubt George has read Tolstoy or Camus, or much else.

Got an email from friend recently re an election when he was visiting in south america, re that the people expected their elected one to be literate.

Made me chuckle, re here.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:20 pm
snood wrote:
You're not paying attention - I'm not going anywhere. Please continue. The horse is not quite glue yet.

finn wrote:
Sure snood - another example of leftie "cut and run."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
So, if I don't match your fervor beating this horse, I'm running from you?

Surely not. The theme is exhausted. You think it's prejudicial to believe Bush doesn't read anything more involved than talking points from advisors. I think it's the height of stupidity to take it at face value when he claims to have read a whole book.

I just don't see it going much of anywhere, but I'm willing to humor you if you want to keep running it up and down the pole.

Or, we could act intelligent, and drop it in favor of addressing the launch post (what a concept!).

I'm flexible. don't flatter yourself acting as if your rapier wit has sent me scurrying, or such rot.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Tolstoy and Camus...

now there's a pair.

Any way any of you could describe why we should think of these two differently, however obvious, and delineate the various reasons why?

I'm sorry, I was otherwise engaged with snoodly.

Somewhere in this thread there may be a reference to Tolstoy, but I missed it.

If you've not read Camus, how do you know that "now there's a pair" (in all its sarcastic glory) is accurate?

If your request to compare Tolstoy and Camus is truly based on intellectual curioisty and a desire to learn rather than than some sort of childish test, post the question on the appropriate forum, PM me as to its existence, and I will be happy to respond---as I'm sure snood will.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:51 pm
Snod wrote:

Surely not. The theme is exhausted. You think it's prejudicial to believe Bush doesn't read anything more involved than talking points from advisors. I think it's the height of stupidity to take it at face value when he claims to have read a whole book.

Really? Well, snod, Bush's IQ is listed as being above 120 and his verbal SAT score was higher than the Rhodes Scholar, Senator Bradley.

That makes Bush's IQ at least 40 points higher than yours, Snood.

Have you ever really read a good non fiction book? Let us know which one? I'll bet you have never read an important book and you take shots at the president who has read at least 200 more books than you have in your life.

Don't try to fool us, Snod. The inner city ghetto does not produce readers. You may claim to have read some Shakespeare but only in the Classic Comics edition.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:56 pm
I am going to urge everyone I know to back Barack Obama for the Presidential Nomination in 2008. I hope that everyone will ask Democrats, Republicans and Independents to press for Obama's nomination.

If he is nominated he will receive 99.9% of the African-American vote, 35% of the Hispanic Vote( Hispanics cannot abide African-Americans who live with them in the large cities. They are adamantly against any kind of bussing of Hispanic Children to schools that contain black students) and no more than 15% of the White Vote( left wingers, superannuated New Dealers and gays).

Obama for President!!!(But he really can't take cocaine during his campaign)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:20 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Tolstoy and Camus...

now there's a pair.

I'm sorry, I was otherwise engaged with snoodly.

Somewhere in this thread there may be a reference to Tolstoy, but I missed it.

If you've not read Camus, how do you know that "now there's a pair" (in all its sarcastic glory) is accurate?

If your request to compare Tolstoy and Camus is truly based on intellectual curioisty and a desire to learn rather than than some sort of childish test, post the question on the appropriate forum, PM me as to its existence, and I will be happy to respond---as I'm sure snood will.

I don't know how they fit as a pair - I have not associated them together myself, not least since I haven't read Camus. That was why I asked. Now that you've so nicely reminded me, I'll do some research myself.
0 Replies

Renatus5

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:16 pm
I think that Barack Obama might make quite a good president. If he really tries to communicate with the entire country and disassociates himself from the radical African-Americans, he would do well. He is superbly educated and well spoken. He has already shown that he is dead set against poliltical pork. If he comes off as a real centrist, he has a chance.
0 Replies

Renatus5

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
It is quite ridiculous to speculate on the reading habits of Presidents. Just because President Bush announces he has five books on his reading list, as he did at the beginning of the summer, there is no assurance that he has really read them or understood them. Similarly with Bill Clinton. Although he allegedly had a photographic memory, there is no evidence from his Presidency that he really understood or put into practice anything he picked up from his alleged wide readings except possibly the Kama Sutra. But, I really don't know. As the Bible says-By their fruits, ye shall know them.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
Hi, Possum!
0 Replies