rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:33 am
gungasnake wrote:
In the case of old fashioned chemical warfare against pests, you're basically right, with the single glaring exception of DDT which, used properly, provides a foolproof way of protecting human habitats from the most dangerous insect pests.

I doubt it's foolproof. DDT isn't magic. A few skeeters are going to have resistance, and they will reproduce, and then we'll have more of them, and so on and so on...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:14 am
rosborne979 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
In the case of old fashioned chemical warfare against pests, you're basically right, with the single glaring exception of DDT which, used properly, provides a foolproof way of protecting human habitats from the most dangerous insect pests.

I doubt it's foolproof. DDT isn't magic. A few skeeters are going to have resistance, and they will reproduce, and then we'll have more of them, and so on and so on...

DDT isn't magic, but it's really close; it's a legitimate candidate for greatest thing the white man ever invented. It's less than clear that anything ever developed immunity to it and if you use it properly, i.e. do not use it as an area pesticide for crops on a square mile basis, nothing ever will. Moreover, virtually all insects avoid the stuff, i.e. they simply leave when they sense it, which works perfectly well from the viewpoint of protecting humans from malaria.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 03:08 pm
gunga
Quote:
It's less than clear that anything ever developed immunity to it and if you use it properly, i.e. do not use it as an area pesticide for crops on a square mile basis, nothing ever will.
I like your self-proclaimed authority. (All of which youve gotten from some whacko right wing website)

The developer ofDDT won a NOBEL prize for this work and, like anything else governed by laws of genetics , insects began developing superimmunity to it before Muller even cashed his check. Like everything we think we can accomplish , we merely demonstrate the amazing adaptability of life

I understand that youre in a quandry, adaptability and acquired immunity is like (gasp) accepting the facts of natural selection..
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:11 pm
farmerman wrote:
gunga
Quote:
It's less than clear that anything ever developed immunity to it and if you use it properly, i.e. do not use it as an area pesticide for crops on a square mile basis, nothing ever will.
I like your self-proclaimed authority. (All of which youve gotten from some whacko right wing website)

The developer ofDDT won a NOBEL prize for this work and, like anything else governed by laws of genetics , insects began developing superimmunity to it before Muller even cashed his check. Like everything we think we can accomplish , we merely demonstrate the amazing adaptability of life

I understand that youre in a quandry, adaptability and acquired immunity is like (gasp) accepting the facts of natural selection..

Your body builds up resistance to invaders based on genetic information that is ALREADY there.

You don't 'evolve' when you build up immunity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 04:58 am
RL--By George, I think youre finally getting it
Quote:
Your body builds up resistance to invaders based on genetic information that is ALREADY there.

Ken Miller says approximately the same thing
"Evolution is taking whats already there, and doing something new with it"

The national GEos November Issue has a wonderful article on Hox genes and how they describe the various modes of morphology in the thoracis region. "From wings to fingers"

As Gould and MAyr always said, genes are only the bookeeping of evolution, not the driver. Genetic diversity is responsible for resistance, new genes that occur by repretition or whole chromosomal copying , may or may not occur. For example , Darwins Finches are pretty much the same genetically, they difer by less than 1% from each other. Now, with time, as each new species is exposed to totally different self imposed environments. will their genic makeup change much more? Tune in tomorrow for another episode of "As the Finch Forges Forward"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:25 am
farmerman wrote:
RL--By George, I think youre finally getting it
Quote:

Ken Miller says approximately the same thing
"Evolution is taking whats already there, and doing something new with it"

The national GEos November Issue has a wonderful article on Hox genes and how they describe the various modes of morphology in the thoracis region. "From wings to fingers"

As Gould and MAyr always said, genes are only the bookeeping of evolution, not the driver. Genetic diversity is responsible for resistance, new genes that occur by repretition or whole chromosomal copying , may or may not occur. For example , Darwins Finches are pretty much the same genetically, they difer by less than 1% from each other. Now, with time, as each new species is exposed to totally different self imposed environments. will their genic makeup change much more? Tune in tomorrow for another episode of "As the Finch Forges Forward"

Of course , as you'd expect, I note that Darwin's finches are all............finches.

They are only 'different species' because we have chosen to call they so.

Different beaks, coloration, habits, etc are basically superficial.

If one were to categorize humans so, you might have many 'different species' of modern humans.

Certainly also , if you were to categorize domesticated dogs in such a manner, you would easily end up with many 'different species' of domesticated dog, as has been previously discussed.

But the arbitrary nature of evolutionary perspective is shown by the fact that domesticated dogs are all generally considered 'one species'.

But my point about immunity is that it is not in any way demonstrative of evolutionary principle.

Instead, it is the organism using genetic information that is ALREADY in existence to cope with it's environment. It doesn't need to 'evolve', and it doesn't do so.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 06:03 am
RL, If I may, id like to rephrase your last paragraphs point. AN Individual organism, with its own personal genetic diversity in hand, adapts to an environment better than its neigbor. Through successive generations this favorable adaptation separates and isolates the new clade from any previous. Gene structure, such as the acquisition of new genes and genetic makeup, is a given for every successive generation. (Sex redistributes the gene pool a bit). Natural Selection only states 3 things

1there is a continuity of relation through successive generations(this is easily seen in genomes of different species, families, orders and higher)

2Small and incremental changes occur to individuals of a population and these become transferred to the population as a "selected benefit"

3Offspring are produced in numbers outstripping the environments ability to support (the ole Malthusian doctrine )

Birds remain birds until they become something else as dictated by gross adaptation responses to a new environment. Dinosaurs became birds sometime in the Jurassic (Its difficult to deny the overlapping similarities of reptiles and birds demonstrated in archeopteryx) or the bird-like structure of strutheid dinosaurs
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 01:32 pm
farmerman wrote:
RL, If I may, id like to rephrase your last paragraphs point. AN Individual organism, with its own personal genetic diversity in hand, adapts to an environment better than its neigbor. Through successive generations this favorable adaptation separates and isolates the new clade from any previous. Gene structure, such as the acquisition of new genes and genetic makeup, is a given for every successive generation. (Sex redistributes the gene pool a bit). Natural Selection only states 3 things

1there is a continuity of relation through successive generations(this is easily seen in genomes of different species, families, orders and higher)

2Small and incremental changes occur to individuals of a population and these become transferred to the population as a "selected benefit"

3Offspring are produced in numbers outstripping the environments ability to support (the ole Malthusian doctrine )

Birds remain birds until they become something else as dictated by gross adaptation responses to a new environment. Dinosaurs became birds sometime in the Jurassic (Its difficult to deny the overlapping similarities of reptiles and birds demonstrated in archeopteryx) or the bird-like structure of strutheid dinosaurs

C'mon....dinosaurs didn't really walk the earth. They were put there by god to challenge the believers of this earth and to test their fortitude. Those 'missing links' you keep talking about are tests from your god, which you are currently failing.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
maporsche wrote:
C'mon....dinosaurs didn't really walk the earth. They were put there by god to challenge the believers of this earth and to test their fortitude. Those 'missing links' you keep talking about are tests from your god, which you are currently failing.

Wait a minute, I can almost see it...

http://questionthedogma.com/blog1/pat_robertson_devil_sign.jpg
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:54 pm
Isn't that the "Devil sign"?

Idea Idea Idea
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:55 am
Right. I shall now bring upon you the great and wonderful wisdom of my Christian priesty friend.

Drum roll and trumpet fanfare.

I can taste the suspense.

Ok, here goes.

I warn you this is rough.

Anyway. The izrayleez feared water. If anyone wanted to invade them, they could just come at them by water. And that's what some people did. Please forgive my ignorance; I don't who they were, so I shall call them, Da ppl. Anyway Da ppl came and invade and took hold of jeeroozeelamb.

This is told is psalm somethingy or other. It goes - On the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, there we wept and so on. (or something like that). So the izrayleez told this tale by depicting it as the most terrible thing that could happen to them. And they used the thing the feared most, which was water.

Behold my Christian priesty friend's great wisdom. Bow down and worship him.

Sorry this is vague but when he was telling me about it I wasn't really concentrating.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:41 pm
bm
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:38 am
What's that suppose to mean?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:21 am
aperson wrote:
bm means book mark

but bs would have been better.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:02 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
aperson wrote:
bm means book mark

but bs would have been better.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:37 am
Re: The Flood
EpiNirvana wrote:

How could the freshwater fish survive in salty water?
With Giddeon,er,um, I mean God, All things are possible...including fish survival if it is what God wanted.
EpiNirvana wrote:
Where did all that water go?
Same place moisture always goes after floods...do a little scientific research. Think about it. After a heavy rain there are often times puddles and water accumulations; but, after a time they disappear...almost like magic.
EpiNirvana wrote:
Why is such a mythological concept still around?
First off most if not all myths are based on facts.
Secondly, people like the excitement generated by over the top happenings in mythical tales.

EpiNirvana wrote:
What does sedimentary rock prove about anything?
Time for you to crack open your geology books.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:12 am
First of all, I thought bm meant "Bite Me" Smile

Secondly, why would anyone write that down?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:49 pm
Heres an article by Steve Godfrey, who is the curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Miocene Museum in Solomons Point Md.(He was born and raised a Creationist who believed his teachings about "The Flood")
Quote:
Moving Past Creationist Roots
Stephen Godfrey
Growing up, my family looked to the Bible for answers to questions relating to the origin of the universe and life. Yet for as long as I can remember, I have loved natural history and natural history museums. Thus, during my final undergraduate year, I decided to study paleontology to see if its claims were true, and in so doing, I thought that I could serve the creationist cause.

Much to my chagrin, the evidence I found in the field did not support my belief in a young Earth and flood geology; it contradicted it and ultimately drove me from that belief. Seeing that footprint fossils of terrestrial animals exist throughout much of the geologic column convinced me that all of the world?s fossils could not have been laid down in a single flood. The fact that different suites of fossils characterize different geologic strata, and that transitional life forms do exist in the fossil record forced me to concede that macro-evolutionary changes had happened through time.

Although field geology and paleontology convinced me that young-Earth creationism was untenable, one of the most profound discoveries I made was how badly mistaken young-Earth creationists and I were in our understanding of the first chapter of Genesis. Our problem was not a scientific one; it was much more fundamental, in not seeing the world through the eyes of those for whom the first chapter of Genesis was originally written.

Genesis presents a phenomenological cosmology ? it describes how things appear from the perspective of an Earth-bound observer and how they appear to have been made. To these ancients, Earth was flat and it lay below a dome-shaped sky. The blue region above the firmament was composed of water, not outer space, with the sun, moon and stars lying within the firmament.

The Biblical cosmology is quite different, quite innocently naive in its understanding of the depth of time and space as compared to our present cosmological understanding. Because creationists further compound the cosmological problem by reading Genesis in a selectively literal way, we should not marvel at how different their claims are to those of evolutionary scientists.

One way to summarize the argument is this: If someone feels compelled to believe in a young Earth on the basis of a commitment to a literal reading of Genesis, they must also believe that Earth is flat on that same basis. But if, as is no doubt the case, they do not feel that they have to believe in a flat Earth, even though that is what Genesis literally presents, then they may already have articulated for themselves the reasons why they don?t need to believe in a young Earth, either. We are free to let the data speak for itself.

The problem, however, is more than literal interpretation of the Bible; it also has to do with perceptions within the religious community. Christians who work in other scientific fields do not feel that they have to begin with the Bible?s descriptions of their subject matter as the foundation of their work. In embryology, meteorology, mineralogy, medicine and countless other fields, we applaud the work of those who pursue their research and synthesize their findings into a reasonable model. We do not expect them to derive their conclusions from a reading of the Bible. So why should there be a double standard for fields such as geology, paleontology and cosmology? (There shouldn?t!)

I found comfort in a recent book by D.P. Domning and M.K. Hellwig, which articulates the reconciliation between Christianity and Darwinian evolution, and their inextricable unity, in a intellectually compelling and theologically satisfying way. What Darwin did for science, Domning and Hellwig have done for Christianity.

Darwin resolved disparate observations in nature by identifying natural selection as the prime agent driving evolutionary change. Likewise, Domning and Hellwig resolve vexing and long-standing theological issues by showing how chance, mutations, natural selection and evolution necessarily link to God?s selfless love, ?physical? and moral evil, and selfishness and salvation. Love would be impossible without free will, which in turn can only exist in an autonomous universe, and evolution offers the only mechanisms known that could have produced conscious creatures able to choose, they reason. As a once-fervent creationist, the irony is not lost on me at how theologically revealing evolutionary theory is to Christianity.

In the end, religion and science do not represent universal opposites. To quote Proverbs 25:2: ?It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; it is the glory of kings to search out a matter.? And from King Solomon: ?God has hidden countless fascinating and wonderful things in his creation, and he wants us to delight in discovering them.?

So, all those who are called to scientific enterprise should pursue that calling without fear or doubt, but rather with joy and enthusiasm. There is no script that you need to follow, no predetermined conclusion with which your results need to square. If there were, God would not really have ?hidden? these treasures for us to find. They?re out there ? go get them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARTICLE SOURCE
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:58 am
Good article. Now the first thing that comes to mind is how did his family react when he entered his new profession.

Quote:
Darwin resolved disparate observations in nature by identifying natural selection as the prime agent driving evolutionary change. Likewise, Domning and Hellwig resolve vexing and long-standing theological issues by showing how chance, mutations, natural selection and evolution necessarily link to God?s selfless love, ?physical? and moral evil, and selfishness and salvation. Love would be impossible without free will, which in turn can only exist in an autonomous universe, and evolution offers the only mechanisms known that could have produced conscious creatures able to choose, they reason. As a once-fervent creationist, the irony is not lost on me at how theologically revealing evolutionary theory is to Christianity.

Somehow I don't think literal Biblist are going to buy this.

I'll have to pay a visit to that museum. Never heard of it before.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:19 am
Its down near the Solomons nuke plant and its right along the Calvert Cliffs.
0 Replies