gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
Mame wrote:
My daughter chose to go to Sunday School with some friends of hers when she was 8. It lasted till she was about 10, at which point her Sunday School Teacher told her she would go to heaven and I would be going to hell because I was a non-believer.... .

Jesus said that no man enters the kingdom of heaven save by way of himself.

He never said that only Christians go to heaven.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:26 pm
Well, that's not what this lady was teaching.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:40 pm
gungasnake wrote:

Hey, gunga.
I have never quite understood what that means. What do you think?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:45 pm
echi wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

Hey, gunga.
I have never quite understood what that means. What do you think?

Witnesses at the time said that the thing which totally floored people about Jesus was that he spoke of the spirit realm as one with authority. That had never been seen before.

The biggest hangup which most people have with God and religion is usually called "the problem of evil", i.e. how does an omnipotent and loving God allow the hardships which we see in our physical world. There are several similar and related problems, such as if the son of god actually came to this world 2000 years ago, how did the American Indians go 1500 years without ever hearing about it? Again, how does an omnipotent and loving God create the creatures of Pandora's box, biting flies, mosquitos, ticks, fleas, chiggers, and disease vectors?

There are a few others. All such questions basically hang on the question of what the word "omnipotent" is supposed to mean. Most people view it as meaning "having all the power which anybody could imagine", and it is that definition which leads to conundrums and breakdowns of logic. A more rational definition would be "having all the power that there actually is", and THAT definition does not lead to conundrums.

That view says that the spirit world and our physical realm are strongly separated, at least in our age of the world, and that the two are orthoganal to eachother and that the spirit world actually has little if any real power to act within our realm; that we in fact might have originally been put here to PROVIDE the spirit world with some degree of instrumentality in this physical realm. THAT of course would require solid and reliable communications between the two realms, which we do not presently have. Such communication channels did exist in the ancient world.

That view also says that on the day that Christ was born into our physical realm, he was subject to all of the same physical laws which we are subject to, including not being able to get from Israel to Mexico or Kansas without airplanes.

That view also says that a loving God simply did not create the creatures of Pandora's box. The best evidence we have at present is that the engineering and re-engineering of complex life forms was some sort of a cottage industry or something like that in past ages and that more than one pair of hands was involved, and that whoever was responsible for the existence of biting flies, ticks, and chiggers, is not anybody we need to worship, to say the least.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:17 pm
gungasnake,

So then was Jesus saying that we should "tap into" the spirit realm? Is that what he meant when he said that the only way to Heaven is through me?

To me, it seems like he probably would have said something like: "To get to Heaven you must do as I have done." That seems to make more sense than anything else I have heard. (I was raised a Catholic.)

[I know we're way off topic, but who cares?]

What do you think about the Buddha? I kinda think Christ and Buddha are virtually synonymous.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:02 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
Indoctrination of children with atheism had a long and glorious history in the Soviet Union.

I don't support that either. But just out of curiosity, what did the athiest parents say to indoctrinate their kids into athiesm? There's no burning in hell for athiests, and no punishment for thinking any other way, is there?

I do support giving kids personal opinions about what we (adults) think about the world (it's unavoidable), and explaining to them as they grow older that they have choices.

Religious parents will certainly expose their kids to religion, even if they don't indocrtinate them, just as non-religious people will expose their kids to a non-religious view of things. It's inevitible that the environment a child grows up in will be partial in some way. It's unavoidable, and doesn't bother me very much.

As noted above, I'm not sure what threats an athiest might use to get a child to think like an athiest, but the christian threat of burning in hell forever if you don't believe what you're told (purely on faith), is certainly an effective threat.

The gulag was a pretty effective threat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:34 am
Quote:
The best evidence we have at present is that the engineering and re-engineering of complex life forms was some sort of a cottage industry or something like that in past ages and that more than one pair of hands was involved, and that whoever was responsible for the existence of biting flies, ticks, and chiggers, is not anybody we need to worship, to say the least.

One piece of thie "evidence" please. Youre killing me!
And you try to call out science as being built on laws of sand. Im in a constant state of amazement how you guys twist and parry with a quiver full of NOTHING, and then cant seem to believe that discoveries in science are actual fact?
Why not embrace the Universal Turtle rising out of the depths of the surrounding ocean to bring forth the world.
Since this is about the flood, going back on topic, there is no evidence that a worldwide contiguous submersion occured in any past geologic time. Yet you go on believeing that without any supportive evidence . AND THEN, you have the hutzpah to criticize that which you dont even take time to understand. CAn you say hypocrisy?

Do you have a monetary stake in the Jesus industries?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:17 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
The best evidence we have at present is that the engineering and re-engineering of complex life forms was some sort of a cottage industry or something like that in past ages......

One piece of this "evidence" please. .....

My pleasure:

Quote:

Henry Gee
Monday February 12, 2001
The Guardian

The potentially-poisonous Japanese fugu fish has achieved notoriety, at least among scientists who haven't eaten any, because it has a genome that can be best described as "concise". There is no "junk" DNA, no waste, no nonsense. You get exactly what it says on the tin. This makes its genome very easy to deal with in the laboratory: it is close to being the perfect genetic instruction set. Take all the genes you need to make an animal and no more, stir, and you'd get fugu. Now, most people would hardly rate the fugu fish as the acme of creation. If it were, it would be eating us, and not the other way round. But here is a paradox. The human genome probably does not contain significantly more genes than the fugu fish. What sets it apart is - and there is no more succinct way to put this - rubbish.

The human genome is more than 95% rubbish. Fewer than 5% of the 3.2bn As, Cs, Gs and Ts that make up the human genome are actually found in genes. It is more litter-strewn than any genome completely sequenced so far. It is believed to contain just under 31,780 genes, only about half as many again as found in the simple roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans (19,099 genes): yet in terms of bulk DNA content, the human genome is almost 30 times the size.A lot is just rubbish, plain and simple. But at least half the genome is rubbish of a special kind - transposable elements. These are small segments of DNA that show signs of having once been the genomes of independent entities. Although rather small, they often contain sequences that signal cellular machinery to transcribe them (that is, to switch them on). They may also contain genetic instructions for enzymes whose function is to make copies and insert the copies elsewhere in the genome. These transposable elements litter the human genome in their hundreds of thousands. Many contain genes for an enzyme called reverse transcriptase - essential for a transposable element to integrate itself into the host DNA.

The chilling part is that reverse transcriptase is a key feature of retroviruses such as HIV-1, the human immunodeficiency virus. Much of the genome itself - at least half its bulk - may have consisted of DNA that started out, perhaps millions of years ago, as independent viruses or
virus-like entities. To make matters worse, hundreds of genes, containing instructions for at least 223 proteins, seem to have been imported directly from bacteria. Some are responsible for features of human metabolism otherwise hard to explain away as quirks of evolution - such as our ability to metabolise psychotropic drugs. Thus, monoamine oxidase is involved in metabolising alcohol.

If the import of bacterial genes for novel purposes (such as drug resistance) sounds disturbing and familiar, it should - this is precisely the thrust of much research into the genetic modification of organisms in agriculture or biotechnology.

So natural-born human beings are, indeed, genetically modified. Self-respecting eco-warriors should never let their children marry a human being, in case the population at large gets contaminated with exotic genes!One of the most common transposable elements in the human genome is called Alu - the genome is riddled with it. What the draft genome now shows quite clearly is that copies of Alu tend to cluster where there are genes. The density of genes in the genome varies, and where there are more genes, there are more copies of Alu. Nobody knows why, yet it is consistent with the idea that Alu has a positive benefit for genomes.To be extremely speculative, it could be that a host of very similar looking Alu sequences in gene-rich regions could facilitate the kind of gene-shuffling that peps up natural genetic variation, and with that, evolution. This ties in with the fact that human genes are, more than most, fragmented into a series of many exons, separated by small sections of rubbish called introns - rather like segments of a TV programme being punctuated by commercials.

The gene for the protein titin, for example, is divided into a ecord-breaking 178 exons, all of which must be patched together by the gene-reading machinery before the finished protein can be assembled. This fragmentation allows for alternative versions of proteins to be built from the same information, by shuffling exons around. Genomes with less fragmented genes may have a similar number of overall genes - but a smaller palette of ways to use this information. Transposable elements might have helped unlock the potential in the human genome, and could even have contributed to the fragmentation of genes in the first place (some introns are transposable elements by another name). This, at root, may explain why human beings are far more complex than roundworms or fruit flies. If it were not for trashy transposable elements such as Alu, it might have been more difficult to shuffle genes and parts of genes, creating alternative ways of reading the "same" genes. It is true that the human genome is mostly rubbish, but it explains what we are, and why we are who we are, and not lying on the slab in a sushi bar.

• Deep Time by Henry Gee will be published shortly in paperback by Fourth Estate. He is a senior editor of Nature.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:21 am
real life wrote:
The gulag was a pretty effective threat.

And the evidence you have that children were threatened with the gulag (a system which ended in 1953 at Stalin's death, and the existence of which was not publicaly recognized before his death) if they did not embrace atheism is?

This is one of your favorite canards, isn't it "real life," that the Soviet Union was the great proselytizing atheist state?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:22 am
One thing to note:

As Walter Remine notes, the original creation of RNA/DNA which is the basis of all life as we know it, had to have been the work of a single pair of hands.

The "cottage industry" I mentioned in the engineering and re-engineering of complex life forms comes along much later when you have had complex life forms on the planet for some time, and it may simply be the case that the creatures themselves had some power to modify their own morphologies from one generation to the next, hard to say unless you were there.

What IS obvious from simple logic is that a loving or well-intentioned God did not create the creatures of Pandora's box, i.e. disease organisms, chiggers, ticks, biting flies, mosquitos, and other parasites. Whoever created those things was some sort of an a$$hole.

The human race should shortly have the power to eliminate all such things from the planet and we should not waste a minute doing it.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:49 am
gungasnake wrote:
Mame wrote:
My daughter chose to go to Sunday School with some friends of hers when she was 8. It lasted till she was about 10, at which point her Sunday School Teacher told her she would go to heaven and I would be going to hell because I was a non-believer.... .

to sum this up. the only unforgivable sin is to not accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:49 am
gungasnake wrote:
Mame wrote:

to sum this up. the only unforgivable sin is to not accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:53 am
rockpie wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Mame wrote:

Jesus never said that either.

You have to keep Christianity separate from the teachings of Jesus himself at times. Christianity is like what Churchill said about democracy, i.e. it's the worst religion there could possibly be except for all those other religions, including atheism and evolutionism which are also religions.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:31 am
Whatsamatter "farmerman"? You thought I was going to make a claim like that and not be able to back it up or something??
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:49 am
rockpie wrote:

so the muslims are certainly going to hell. Funny that as they say exactly the same about you RP.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:25 pm
lol, yea. What i love to think about is that Islam is supposed to be a religion of submition and fear, and Christianity of love and forgiveness. But Christians have the eternal hell and Muslims dont. Thats some crazy stuff right there.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:01 pm
gunga
Quote:
Whatsamatter "farmerman"? You thought I was going to make a claim like that and not be able to back it up or something??
Why did you pick Henry Gees 1999 book? His thesis is the antithesis of your spouting. In your quote of him , at the time we hadnt yet even finished the genome project. We now know that "junk" DNA , as well as "extra chromosomal DNA" are important units that can act as "controllers" in protein sysnthesis.
Quote:
What IS obvious from simple logic is that a loving or well-intentioned God did not create the creatures of Pandora's box, i.e. disease organisms, chiggers, ticks, biting flies, mosquitos, and other parasites. Whoever created those things was some sort of an a$$hole.
Youll find that the success of your Venture at eradication will only be met with an inverse function rule. We can wipe out things and, at the same time, based upon their reproductive rates, confer new vigor onto the remainders, thus allowing evolution to produce chiggers and bacteria with resistance to various agents.

Thats why Im glad that medical science is not full of Creationists, wed still be removing evil spirits .
PS, Henry Gee gave the Discovery Institute such a chewing out for quoting his work out of context and implying that he is , in effect, a closet IDer, that he published his chewing out in NATURE , where hes an associate editor.

Hes a bological scientist who understands evolution and , like Ken Miller is a Christian. HE sees no incompatibility between his science and his religious belief.
He never considered his God A micromanager or one whose every presence had to be shown, especially in the works of nature.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:12 am
Funny, I don't see the point I made being addressed at all:

[size=25]
"If the import of bacterial genes for novel purposes (such as drug resistance) sounds disturbing and familiar, it should - this is precisely the thrust of much research into the genetic modification of organisms in agriculture or biotechnology.... "
[/size]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:17 am
Quote:

....Youll find that the success of your Venture at eradication will only be met with an inverse function rule. We can wipe out things and, at the same time, based upon their reproductive rates, confer new vigor onto the remainders, thus allowing evolution to produce chiggers and bacteria with resistance to various agents....

In the case of old fashioned chemical warfare against pests, you're basically right, with the single glaring exception of DDT which, used properly, provides a foolproof way of protecting human habitats from the most dangerous insect pests.

In the case of the new technologies coming online which will are basically capable of destroying the reproductive cycles of insect pests and attacking them in other similarly sophisticated ways, there will be no immunity.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:28 am
rockpie wrote:

In other words, "believe with all your heart and mind, or suffer for eternity".

You have been indocrtinated.
0 Replies