rockpie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:06 am
if you take a semi-scientific approach i think it's possible the flood happened. people ask ''how did noah get all the animals from all over the world?'' well take the theory of tectonic plates, back then the world could well have been the one big landmass that scientists claim it was. ''how did the animals get there?'' instinct. the same way that all birds know to fly south for winter, God places into them an instict to be at a place at a time. as for the flood, well that's God's work, why wouldn't he flood the earth if man was that bad? seems easy enough for him right?
0 Replies

smittims

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:48 am
The flood
If you take a semi-scientific approach it is obvious the flood story is not factual.It was imposible to build a wooden boat the size of the ark.It would have fallen apart in the water.

Also it would have been impossible to get two of every species into a boat that size.It would have been impossible to provide the food they all needed, remembering that some eat only animals they have caught themselves.

The more one examines it rationally the more obvious it is that this is a moral tale based on the 'epic of Gilgamesh'.Trying to'prove'that the Bible is literally accurate is a waste of time and effort.You are simply barking up the wrong tree.

To the ancient intellect the question was never 'did it really happen?' but always, 'what does it mean to me now?'.That is the way to read the Bible.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 03:51 am
we are talking about God though, nothing's impossible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:09 pm
Re: The flood
smittims wrote:

.....it would have been impossible to get two of every species into a boat that size......

Where does the Bible say that two of every 'species' were to be put on the Ark?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:00 pm
rockpie wrote:
we are talking about God though, nothing's impossible.

Exactly. God made it so, and it was. Simple as that.

It's kinda silly to try to disprove something that was done by magic, especially magic from an omnipotent being.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:03 pm
Yes, the flood was most likely a local event, and then a story was made up about it, and then the religious people made it into a parable.

Pauligirl had it right - the mountains were created - what is now Mt. Everest was once the sea floor.

This is not the only place you find this....

My husband is an igneous petrologist and he is still laughing at the concept of Mt. Everest being underwater.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but come on.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:26 pm
Greeks, Romans, Chinese, and others note that humans and animals survived here and there on high places or anything that could float for the better part of a year, but most present animals owe their survival to Noah.

Midrashim note that the Lord turned on the primordial lights of the universe for the week prior to the flood to commemorate the death of Methusaleh who died at that time. These were the seven days of intense light and radiation which preceeded the flood and are referred to in Genesis 7:4 and 7:10 and in Isaiah 30:26, meaning basically that the flood itself was part and parcel of some solar-system-wide calamity involving some major solar activity either with our sun or some other star. There were any number of seven-day light festivals in the ancient world including Hannukah and Saturnalia, which all ultimately commemorated the seven days of "the primordial lights of the universe" being turned on prior to the flood.

Continental shelves are probably just pre-flood ocean boundaries; we are living in areas which would have been viewed as plateaus prior to the flood and sparsely inhabited or uninhabited. Cities which they continue to find beneath the waves are antediluvian cities. In the case of the city which has been found offshore of Cuba 2000' down, there is no possibility of any sort of yuppie or PC explanation, e.g.

http://s8int.com/water27.html
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:31 pm
I say again, biblical authors lived in a totally subjective world. they would never write that John went to the bathroom; always "The Lord CAUSED John to go to the bathroom for such and such a reason:.

When you read that, you can be totally certain that John DID go to the bathroom. The ancients did not make **** up. The religious interpretation, you can take or leave.

Likewise the Noachean flood was a real event. Whether or not sin or any sort of punishment was involved, I've no clue.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:55 am
Mame wrote:
Yes, the flood was most likely a local event, and then a story was made up about it, and then the religious people made it into a parable.

Fact: Floods happen all the time. They are all local events (nothing global in human history).

Fact: People tell stories, stories get embellished.

Fact: People who believe in magic and omnipotent gods can justify anything they dream up.

The result: A literal interpretation of Noah's flood.

The third fact is the one that prevents reasonable evidence from convincing literal fundamentalists of the silliness of their view, and it's why I posted my previous comment.

If the stance someone wants to take is that God can do anything, then you can stop right there trying to discuss evidence, because it just doesn't matter. Right?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:20 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Mame wrote:

Fact: Floods happen all the time. They are all local events (nothing global in human history).

Bullshit. No local flood could produce a city 2000' beneath the waves.

The scholars and historians of all antique nations tell the same story in similar terms. It is basically hubris for moderns to write the entire ancient world off as a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

In fact the main motivation for it is the obvious fact that ANY global scale catastrophe destroys the assumptions on which the various timeframes needed by evolutionists rest.

The evolutionite claim of course is that **** which has never been observed and which massive testing with fruit flies has proven to be impossible, is GUARANTEED to happen given enough millions and tens of millions of years. Entirely like the two rednecks who were buying watermelons for $2 in Fla and trucking them to Chicago and selling them for $2. They noticed they weren't making any money and determined they needed a bigger truck. Evolutionists aren't any better than the two rednecks.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:28 am
rockpie wrote:
if you take a semi-scientific approach i think it's possible the flood happened. people ask ''how did noah get all the animals from all over the world?'' well take the theory of tectonic plates, back then the world could well have been the one big landmass that scientists claim it was. ''how did the animals get there?'' instinct. the same way that all birds know to fly south for winter, God places into them an instict to be at a place at a time. as for the flood, well that's God's work, why wouldn't he flood the earth if man was that bad? seems easy enough for him right?
semi brained more like.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:52 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
rockpie wrote:

Are you for real?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:13 pm
gungasnake wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Bullshit. No local flood could produce a city 2000' beneath the waves.

It's a fact. There have been no global flood events in human history (By global flood, I mean every bit of land on the planet submerged at one time).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:17 pm
rockpie wrote:
if you take a semi-scientific approach i think it's possible the flood happened.

No, it didn't happen. Period, no doubt about it. Get it out of your head. It's a fable, nothing more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:19 pm
real life wrote:
smittims wrote:

.....it would have been impossible to get two of every species into a boat that size......

Good point--it was two pair of every unclean beast and seven pair of every clean beast.

When it comes to fairy tales, you can't beat the Bobble.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
I have no way of knowing, but it would make sense to me that the bible merely exaggerated a true historical event. The bit about Noah, the ark, and the two-by-two animals sounds like a bit of poetic whimsey. Makes for a warm, fuzzy story, though!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:25 pm
Mame wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
rockpie wrote:

Are you for real?
who me or stonehead?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:41 pm
LOL, sorry! Let's put it this way, I wasn't quoting you Cool
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
smittims wrote:

Good point--it was two pair of every unclean beast and seven pair of every clean beast.

When it comes to fairy tales, you can't beat the Bobble.

The bible doesn't say how big or how old the animals were and it figures they'd have taken cubs and yearlings of the larger animals. It also figures many would have hibernated through the passage on the ark.

Then again, you get evo-losers claiming man couldn't make a wooden ship large enough for Noah's purposes. Apparently they forgot to tell that to those first Ming emperors in the early 1400s.....

http://www.1421.tv/assets_cm/files/image/baochuan.jpg

One of Zheng-He's trading ships, approx. 500' long, 150' abeam.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
God told Noah, "Everything that is on the earth shall die" by a flood. (Gen. 6:17; 7:4). Noah was also told that the Ark would save his family (four married couples) and a male and female pair of every kind of "unclean" animal and 7 each (or 7 pairs) of every "clean" animal. (Gen. 6:18-19). Noah was also instructed to store food in the Ark for his family and for all the animals. (Gen. 6:21).

http://www.westarkchurchofchrist.org/library/noahsark.htm

Of course, that site is a joke.
0 Replies