The United States was not founded as a Christian nation

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:55 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Terry wrote:
The Founding Fathers had to justify rebelling against a King whose authority, according to the Bible, had been established by God himself.
Balls. Find out about the English civil war and the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

Good point . . . the Whig Lords had been ordained by God to rule the land in a revision of the original establishment upon the occasion of James II absconding with the warming pan baby.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 03:31 am
nicely summed up Set.

whats your take on that story? Was the warming pan theory just a bit of Whig propaganda?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:59 am
One can never know for sure. I don't consider it Whig propaganda to the extent that i don't think it originated with the Whig Lords. Rather, i think that they did not originate or encourage the story, but did nothing to discourage the story, either. Charles II was insistent upon descent in the right line, which was a source of increasing discomfort for them as Catherine of Braganza consistently failed to produce and heir and Charles aged, while producing a quiver full of bastards. Stories that Charles converted to Catholicism on his deathbed cannot be confirmed, and there is no good reason to assume that he intended a specifically Catholic succession--he only insisted upon descent in the right line, which meant that James would succeed him.

Claims that the Old Pretender did not resemble his Stuart forebears are bootless. His greatgrandmother was Catherine de Medici, and if he was legitimate, his mother was Mary of Modena. The influence of Italian ancestry was strong enough in the children of Charles I and Henrietta Maria that Charles II was described as "a black man," meaning his black hair and his swarthy complexion (a result of his Italian ancestry) were uncommonly dark by the standards of England in the seventeenth century. The so-called "James III" was in fact rather fair than dark, and his character (on the few occasions upon which he displayed any) was that same stubborn, unyielding variety which cost his grandfather his head.

The warming pan baby story simply lacks compelling evidence--it was based originally on speculation and sustained by innuendo. With the birth of an heir, the situation changed completely in England, and the Whigs were no longer simply waiting out the life span of a King whom they found distasteful, but facing the prospect of a second consecutive Catholic heir. Stories like the warming pan baby meant that the Whig Lords could more effectively rally support for their substitution of Mary and William for James, without actually having to do anything--they need only not to discourage a silly rumor. William being James nephew and son-in-law, and Mary his daughter meant that they could console themselves that they were preserving descent in the royal line, if not actually in the right line. The warming pan baby story simply helped them with the opinion of the commons.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:33 am
I forgot to say thanks for that Set.

For those who think the story of no relevance, it has a direct bearing on the Hanoverian succession, the end of the Divine right of kings in Britain, and ultimately on the American revolution, at least insofar as it defined what they were rebelling against, which was not absolute monarchy as some poster said earlier.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:41 am
That's a good point, Steve. In fact, initially, the colonists claimed to be rebelling against the insufferable impositions of Parliament, and petitioned the King directly for a redress of grievances. George, of course, refused to receive the petition. It was only later that the colonists came to the conclusion that they were the victims of royal oppression, with Parliament as the instrument. Neither piont of view was, however, entirely correct.
0 Replies

peace

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:17 pm
hephzibah wrote:
IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of
America

-snipped the complete quoting of the Declaration of Indepenance-

This is the second time tonight I have seen the DoI quoted as if it was the Constitution of the United States. The DoI was a statement /against/ British rule, not the charter for the creation of a government.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:15 am
Pauligirl wrote:
From: R.P. Nettelhorst, "Notes on the Founding Fathers and the Separation of Church and State", posted on Quartz Hill School of Theology website (http://www.theology.edu/journal/volume2/ushistor.htm; viewed 30 November 2005):
Benjamin Franklin, the delegate to the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention. He has frequently been used as a source for positive "God" talk. It is often noted that Franklin made a motion at the Constitutional convention that they should bring in a clergyman to pray for their deliberations:
In this situation of this Assembly, groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when present to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings?... I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth - that God governs in the affairs of men.

(Catherine Drinker Bowen. Miracle at Philadelphia
: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787. New York: Book-of-the-Month Club, 1966, pp. 125-126)
...Franklin presented his motion after "four or five weeks" of deliberation, during which they had never once opened in prayer... Franklin's motion was voted down... [Franklin] made the motion during an especially trying week of serious disagreement, when the convention was in danger of breaking up. Cathrine Drinker Bowen comments:
Yet whether the Doctor had spoken from policy or from faith, his suggestion had been salutary, calling an assembly of doubting minds to a realization that destiny herself sat as guest and witness in this room. Franklin had made solemn reminder that a republic of thirteen united states - venture novel and daring - could not be achieved without mutual sacrifice and a summoning up of men's best, most difficult and most creative efforts. (Bowen, p. 127)
About March 1, 1790, [Franklin] wrote the following in a letter to Ezra Stiles, president of Yale, who had asked him his views on religion...:
As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes, and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England, some Doubts as to his divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and I think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble...." (Carl Van Doren. Benjamin Franklin. New York: The Viking Press, 1938, p. 777.)
He died just over a month later on April 17.
http://www.adherents.com/people/pf/Benjamin_Franklin.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe he was just trying to keep the convention together.
P

Are you suggesting that he dishonestly represented his own views in order to patronize the delegates?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:20 am
Probably
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 02:38 pm
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:

P

Are you suggesting that he dishonestly represented his own views in order to patronize the delegates?

I think in politics, that's called being diplomatic.
P
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 02:52 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:

P

I think in politics, that's called being diplomatic.
P

I guess to answer the question of Jefferson's religious leanings, we would need to collect numerous examples of his description of his belief, as well as understand the circumstances in which he said it.

If the quote we've been discussing above exists in isolation, and appears out of character when compared to the bulk of Jefferson's notes, then I would suspect that he was just trying to keep the convention together.

If however, the general tenor of his writings as he got older, reflected ideas similar to those expressed in the convention, then I would have to give this round to RL.

RL started this whole thing by arguing that Jefferson changed his way of thinking as he got older. RL submitted that quote as evidence, and while I can see the logic of assuming Jefferson was just being diplomatic, I don't think we can argue subterfuge and dishonesty as a way to support our position that Jefferson was basically a Deist.

Right now, we have an isolated incident, under questionable circumstances, so I'm not convinced of Jefferson's theistic leanings. RL, do you have more quotes you would like to submit to support your claim?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:46 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

I guess to answer the question of Jefferson's religious leanings, we would need to collect numerous examples of his description of his belief, as well as understand the circumstances in which he said it.

If the quote we've been discussing above exists in isolation, and appears out of character when compared to the bulk of Jefferson's notes, then I would suspect that he was just trying to keep the convention together.

If however, the general tenor of his writings as he got older, reflected ideas similar to those expressed in the convention, then I would have to give this round to RL.

RL started this whole thing by arguing that Jefferson changed his way of thinking as he got older. RL submitted that quote as evidence, and while I can see the logic of assuming Jefferson was just being diplomatic, I don't think we can argue subterfuge and dishonesty as a way to support our position that Jefferson was basically a Deist.

Right now, we have an isolated incident, under questionable circumstances, so I'm not convinced of Jefferson's theistic leanings. RL, do you have more quotes you would like to submit to support your claim?

errr....I thought we were talking about Franklin....
P
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:00 am
Pauligirl wrote:
errr....I thought we were talking about Franklin....
P

Uh, yes, I meant to say Franklin. Sorry about that. It was late when I wrote it and I was tired. Smile
0 Replies

babyruth

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Actually the more intelligent the person, the more likely they will come to the realisation that there is a Creator. Many of those whom you all consider to be intelligent are not really as intelligent as they think. To be considered intelligent in one field does not always translt to overall intelligence. You can't always measure intelligence with an SAT.

Secondly the Church has an embarrassing record of interference in scientific inquiry. The Church may interfere, but it cannot restrict what is in the Mind.

The problem is that the majority is not even aware of who or what God is. If you really knew who or what God is then you will find out that a lot of people actually believe in Him.
And who is god?

I didn't see this get answered. Maybe the question should have been WHAT is God?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:56 pm
babyruth wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Actually the more intelligent the person, the more likely they will come to the realisation that there is a Creator. Many of those whom you all consider to be intelligent are not really as intelligent as they think. To be considered intelligent in one field does not always translt to overall intelligence. You can't always measure intelligence with an SAT.

Secondly the Church has an embarrassing record of interference in scientific inquiry. The Church may interfere, but it cannot restrict what is in the Mind.

The problem is that the majority is not even aware of who or what God is. If you really knew who or what God is then you will find out that a lot of people actually believe in Him.
And who is god?

I didn't see this get answered. Maybe the question should have been WHAT is God?

God is One but exists in many dimensions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:31 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

God is "One" what?

Which dimensions?

How do you know this?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 05:21 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

God is "One" what?

Which dimensions?

How do you know this?
Thats unimportant to the likes of mindonfire. Its only necessary to make it up as they go along, and if challenged protest it is their religious belief and hence unchallengeable. As for what sort of 'One' God is..

from Richard Dawkins The God Delusion

Quote:
Winston Churchill's son Randolph somehow contrived to remain ignorant of scripture until Evelyn Waugh and a brother officer, in a vain attempt to keep Churchill quiet when they were posted together during the war, bet him he couldn't read the entire Bible in a fortnight: 'Unhappily it has not had the result we hoped. He has never ready any of it before and is hideously excited; keeps reading quoatiaons aloud "I say I be you didn't know this came in the Bible..." or merely slapping his side and chortling "God, isnt God a sh!t!"
0 Replies