The United States was not founded as a Christian nation

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 12:53 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

With logic like that, if you were to extended it just a couple more steps, a person could be saying only christians have these rights.

Why not go that far? Have you forgotten that the popular doctrine is that only Christians go to Heaven. So if only Christians go to Heaven why would it be such a leap for many to believe that only Christians have these rights.

You better look around you quick, because that thought is already out there.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
Letty wrote:
The founding fathers were deists

A common misconception.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:08 am
Mindonfire wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
maybe I'm dense hep, but where does it specifically mention chistian as opposed to other faiths?

You are right Chai. Because of the teachings through-out the last 17 years that I've submitted to it was very easy to fall into the belief that they must have been talking about the "Creator" that christianity is suppose to promote. Though it does not specifically say it. However I still stand that it was founded on a belief in a "Creator" of some sort that has given us certain "unalienable rights" that were being violated therefore it became the job of the government to protect those rights, regardless of their personal status within a "religion". And I personally still believe that "Creator" is the God that christianity is suppose to promote.

Well if they state that there is a Creator which gives you those rights, then it means that if there is no Creator then you don't have those rights.

And the point is?

Talk to the guys who wrote it mindonfire. Maybe they could straiten that out for ya.

Chai Tea wrote:
Well, don't take this personally (because I know you're not the only person who thinks like this), but that is quite a reach.

With logic like that, if you were to extended it just a couple more steps, a person could be saying only christians have these rights.

It says what it says, not what you read into it.

Someone clever enough could start at point A and end up with a statement that pink elephants run the NRA, or AMA for that matter.

Naaa... not really chai. I'm just going by what was said and how it was said. I'm not reading between any lines or making anything up. It's right there in black ink. I didn't write it or word it the way it was worded. As far as the next step it could be taken to... well, honestly I don't see much difference between that and people saying the US was not founded as a "christian" nation. Anyone is capable of twisting anything they would like in order to make it fit their beliefs don't you think? And I can assure you that "christians" are not the only ones who have done it, or will continue doing it.

Mindonfire wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
And I personally still believe that "Creator" is the God that christianity is suppose to promote.

The last time that we checked, The Creator created more than Christians.

Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

*sigh*

I never said or even implied that christians are the only ones God created. Everyone has the same rights regardless of what they believe, if they believe, if they don't believe, or whatever. Given to them by this "Creator". It's their choice to exercise those rights or not.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 02:40 am
Scott777ab wrote:
That may be true.
But it is also true that MOST of the founder's believed in GOD.
So America may not have been founded as a CHRISTIAN nation, but it was founded as a nation with a GOD.

Bollocks. It was expressly intended to keep church and state separate. So it was deliberately, if you like, founded as a state WITHOUT a god, but with freedom of religion for those who required it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:14 am
Mindonfire wrote:

Actually the more intelligent the person, the more likely they will come to the realisation that there is a Creator.

In a paper yet to be published Elizabeth Cornwell and Michael Stirrat of 1074 Fellows of the Royal Society...(the most prestigious scientific body probably in the world...(well it was the first)) only 3.3% agreed strongly with the statement that a personal god exists. The overwhelming majority of FRS are atheists as are member of the US Academicians.

Michael Shermer and Frank Sulloway in How we Believe describes a large survey of randomly selected Americans. They found religiousity to be negatively correlated to education (more highly educated are less likely to be religious).

Regarding IQ and religion, Paul Bell in Mensa Magazine concluded

Quote:
'Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. This is, the higher one's intelligence or education level the less one is likely to be religious or to hold "beliefs" of any kind.'

Of course there are some very intelligent religious people, but the trend is clear.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:26 am
hephzibah wrote:
However I still stand that it was founded on a belief in a "Creator" of some sort that has given us certain "unalienable rights" that were being violated...
By whom? The British government? I think thats a charge you will have a great deal of difficulty proving...however I'm no student of the American wars of Independence...fire away tell me what inalienable rights were violated...I can only think of one and that was the rebels wish not to pay tax to London. Very Happy
0 Replies

toratheesh2000

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:38 am
[a country which has no proper culture, heritage... we shoukld expect them to act like wht they say.... also we should not expect them to say wht they act.....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:58 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
However I still stand that it was founded on a belief in a "Creator" of some sort that has given us certain "unalienable rights" that were being violated...
By whom? The British government? I think thats a charge you will have a great deal of difficulty proving...however I'm no student of the American wars of Independence...fire away tell me what inalienable rights were violated...I can only think of one and that was the rebels wish not to pay tax to London. Very Happy

Errrr steve... did you read my first post? It's all listed right in the declaration of independance. hehehe...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:07 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Actually the more intelligent the person, the more likely they will come to the realisation that there is a Creator.

In a paper yet to be published Elizabeth Cornwell and Michael Stirrat of 1074 Fellows of the Royal Society...(the most prestigious scientific body probably in the world...(well it was the first)) only 3.3% agreed strongly with the statement that a personal god exists. The overwhelming majority of FRS are atheists as are member of the US Academicians.

Michael Shermer and Frank Sulloway in How we Believe describes a large survey of randomly selected Americans. They found religiousity to be negatively correlated to education (more highly educated are less likely to be religious).

Quote:
'Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. This is, the higher one's intelligence or education level the less one is likely to be religious or to hold "beliefs" of any kind.'

Of course there are some very intelligent religious people, but the trend is clear.

I'm going to take a guess here that, in MindonFire's world, intelligence has a totally different meaning. Up is down, black is white, dumbasses are geniuses...but I'll bow out now and let him explain it. He's the "smart" one around here.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:42 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Quote:

Ah! yes the most presitgious scientific body in the world and yet they are still unable to explain the Bible. They are still unable to figure out the rudiments of time. They are still unable to unlock the secrets of the number One. Can they explain how and why a miracle occurs? LOL You all are still unable to add, subtract and divide correctly. They are not as intelligent as they think themselves to be.

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:03 pm
pants on

you need to sit down and extinguish
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:24 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
maybe I'm dense hep, but where does it specifically mention chistian as opposed to other faiths?

You are right Chai. Because of the teachings through-out the last 17 years that I've submitted to it was very easy to fall into the belief that they must have been talking about the "Creator" that christianity is suppose to promote. Though it does not specifically say it. However I still stand that it was founded on a belief in a "Creator" of some sort that has given us certain "unalienable rights" that were being violated therefore it became the job of the government to protect those rights, regardless of their personal status within a "religion". And I personally still believe that "Creator" is the God that christianity is suppose to promote.

Yet despite what you personally believe, George Washington wrote, and John Adams signed, the Treaty with Tripoli only 20 years after the Declaration.

Steve 41oo wrote:
Treaty with Tripoli draftedn 1796 under George Washington and signed by John Adams in 1797:

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

It's pretty clear that we are not a "christian" nation, nor were we intended to be by our founders. The first amendment also clearly separates our government from religion. Thank god Smile
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:07 pm
Alright rosborne. The treaty signed specifically says:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

The government OF the nation, not the nation itself. So then please explain to me why it is they even mentioned any of the following if it was not of any importance to anyone:

"...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rightssecure these rightsbecomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:20 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Quote:

Ah! yes the most presitgious scientific body in the world and yet they are still unable to explain the Bible. They are still unable to figure out the rudiments of time. They are still unable to unlock the secrets of the number One. Can they explain how and why a miracle occurs? LOL You all are still unable to add, subtract and divide correctly. They are not as intelligent as they think themselves to be.

Did I call that or what!? Yes!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:32 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Ah! yes the most presitgious scientific body in the world and yet they are still unable to explain the Bible

unable to explain?

not so much.

you simply don't care for what historians have to say about the book.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:51 pm
hephzibah wrote:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

The government OF the nation, not the nation itself. So then please explain to me why it is they even mentioned any of the following if it was not of any importance to anyone:

Because it is important. It just doesn't say anything about Christianity. It just says "by their creator". Creator could easilty be deific, and it probably is.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Ah! yes the most presitgious scientific body in the world and yet they are still unable to explain the Bible

unable to explain?

not so much.

you simply don't care for what historians have to say about the book.

Oh yes we care what historians have to say. But unfortunately many historians do not even understand the book. So, how can you take someone's word who does not understand what they are reading?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
kickycan wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Quote:

Did I call that or what!? Yes!

Good call. You are indeed a genius. Now, explain to us the secrets of the number One? Can you explain to us how time moves?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Because it is important. It just doesn't say anything about Christianity. It just says "by their creator". Creator could easilty be deific, and it probably is.

So what is the primary "religion" in the US anyway rosborne?
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:57 am
A goodly number of the US 'founding fathers' were indeed Deists but of the sort that today are often called "Biblical Deists" to distinguish them from Deists of other kinds.

We forget at our peril that science explains 'how' but not why. It can explain the processes of evolution (at least as they apply on Earth), they can explain how the earth most likely formed but not 'why' it did form.

Science can explain how a flower evolved to enable fertilisation and how the various parts of the flower work together. But not why there should be a flower in the first place, nor why humans should find them beautiful.

Personally I accept that there is a God and that the universe is God at play, here we see all manner of wonders and sometimes we can explain how they work, how they came to be but not, I think, why they should be in the first place.

Kiwimac
0 Replies