"Not the Time for a Relationship" - Early Stages

el pohl

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:54 pm
Wow, its been a while since I post something here. Following my relational posting fashion, its a loooong one. Embarrassed

Around 4 months ago I found a girl in one of those social network webpages and established contact. After a couple of exchanged messages, I decided to add her on my MSN Messenger. This is not something unusual for me, though... generally I never actually meet the person.

She seemed to be a perfect "nice girl". Attached to her family, calmed, and a tad silly. Really beautiful IMO. 20 years old, in law school, and working
with some lawyers on the morning. Similar daily schedule than me, cause I also follow the work-school routine. We had a daily messenger relationship cause we are always logged in at work, although we are NOT always at the keyboard hehe. I am more than her. Her last relationship lasted for 1 month and was a short while before.

In the first stages of this period I was involved in another relationship that lasted around 2 months. When it ended - cause she was moving to Miami with her family - I was sincerely affected for a short while. Some weeks later I decide that it might be fun to actually meet the "new girl".

She responds perfectly, and we match well. I feel a sincere interest from her. I meet her in her school, then she invites me to a disco with her
friends (and cousin), next we see each other a couple of times, have lunch together, and finally she suggests that we should go to a beach thats 20-30 miles away from here. So I follow instructions, and its suddenly just the 2 of us alone, under a cloudless nightsky, in front of a spectacular beach with a sandy plateau and rock formations. Very intimate. One thing lead to another and we are suddenly down in the sand, kissing. Things get reallly passionate, but no actual below the waist action is involved. Simply a very special moment. We leave the place, we hold hands, hug, kiss, and say goodbye. 10:30 PM and she had a reunion with friends (and cousin).

Saturday - Sunday we dont see each other. In the former she had a couple of compromises with her girl friends. Next day I give her a morning call, and it seems that she would be busy with her family, and doesnt feel that well. We see each other on monday for around 30 minutes after her school. Lousy time. For the most part she was with her Nextel radio talking to her mom about some legal problems that involved a relative, and
then she leaves with her girl friend to see their friends (and cousin) play soccer.

I struggle to find a pleaseant timeframe with her on which we could meet, and we finally agree on seeing each other on friday, 6:00 to 9:00 PM. She was going on a camping during the weekend with her friends (and cousins), so she needed time for preparations. So we have the "OFFICIAL CHAT" and I put my feelings on the table after some casual and light conversation. I basically say what I really feel. That I like her very much, that we went a bit overboard on that passionate friday, that I wanted to know her more... and follow the normal process before actually being
"boyfriends". She slowly replies with an honest face, that everything took an unexpected turn on the last sunday after "our night". It seems that a family problem reached a critical point and it affected her greately. She says that all was ok with us, that we where going in the right direction, but that right now she's not int the state of mind needed to establish a "serious" relationship. Time? Of course she doesnt know. I nod, understand her, and reply that I'm unsure of what course of action I should take.

Wait passively? Actively? Ask her out? Avoid the friend zone? Finally I told her that I would like to be there, close, in case that she needs something, a distraction, whatever... We hug, and she's gone.

So what should I do? I am really fascinated about this girl. I admire her on many aspects, we have a really fun time, and I love that she is working and studying just like me. This is NOT a situation I'm familiar with. Generally I would not care THAT much of the other person in this early stages... but, my feelings are more intense than normal.

I recognize that it might be a complicated relationship in a family level (her mom has a tight grip, and will only let her hang out at night if her cousin joins her). Yet, if I COULD alliviate her griefs just a bit, while she grows out of her situation, it would make me feel very good.

--------------

Any advise, as always, will be deeply appreciated. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 775 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:20 pm
From what you say, I don't sense that she is playing you, but of course I could be wrong.

On what to do next, easy for any of us to say when we ourselves are not in the situation - but I'd let her make moves, more than you. Not to be coy, but to give her space, perhaps even a lot of space. I wouldn't hide that you really like her, but I'd also not overwhelm her with that.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:35 pm
Yeah, I dont think so too. Her father was murdered (yeah, thats Tijuana) 12 years ago, and she lives with a nice step father and mom. Female cousin is fleeing from her husband, sister giving headaches... and even more untold business. So, her family structure and background is quite unusual.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:07 pm
With luck, other smarter people than I will see this and comment.

I'm just remembering me, then, as the girlfriend, and thinking what would have helped. Given the drama in her life, you may not end up swashbuckling enough for her. (But Mr. Swashbuckler will probably not work out.) Whatever. Thinking... just be yourself (hah, like the advice columns say). Yourself is interesting, some of us here know that. Be calm, given that you've already made clear you like her, don't chase.

Though you shouldn't listen to me, I am way older and just giving opinion.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
I think she's playing you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:27 am
While of course I can't be sure, I don't get the feeling from what you say that she's playing you. It sounds more like she just has a very complicated life, which is something to consider, itself -- do you want to get involved in all that? I know it's not fair to her if she's just caught up in it all and is a nice person, but if it's that overwhelming, it probably doesn't bode well for a relationship.

If you want to keep trying, though, I'd say occasional, non-pressure contact. "Hey, how's it going?" kind of stuff (and listen to her answers). (Sounds like you do that, just saying.) Then keep asking now and then to get together, and be prepared for her to say "no, I can't..."

Good luck...!
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:09 pm
sozobe wrote:
While of course I can't be sure, I don't get the feeling from what you say that she's playing you. It sounds more like she just has a very complicated life, which is something to consider, itself -- do you want to get involved in all that? I know it's not fair to her if she's just caught up in it all and is a nice person, but if it's that overwhelming, it probably doesn't bode well for a relationship.

If you want to keep trying, though, I'd say occasional, non-pressure contact. "Hey, how's it going?" kind of stuff (and listen to her answers). (Sounds like you do that, just saying.) Then keep asking now and then to get together, and be prepared for her to say "no, I can't..."

Good luck...!

Perfect advice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:48 pm
Sozobe is right on target.

If you want to be a part of this young woman's life, do so--but recognize she is not ready for you to be a major part.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 01:29 pm
Excellent choice of words there.

Yeah, I'm prepared for some ocassional rejection... thats why I'll need to play it smooth and calm.

Thank you all, very much. Smile
0 Replies