Reservists pay steep price for service

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:15 am
Reservists pay steep price for service By Sandra
Thousands of citizen soldiers charged with rebuilding Iraq face an even more daunting prospect when they return home: repairing the damage to their careers and personal finances.
For some, the task could take years. More than a third of military reservists and National Guard members suffer a cut in pay when they're called to active duty. Long term, the cost of military service is even greater: Small businesses collapse. Raises and bonuses disappear. Clients defect to competitors.
Reservists and Guard members are being deployed more frequently, and for longer periods, than ever before. As of May 28, there were 219,692 on active duty vs. just 83,746 a year ago, according to the Department of Defense. Some have been called up two or three times since the Sept. 11 attacks.

Continued at.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/iraq/2003-06-08-reserve-cover_x.htm

I can only conclude that this will have a negative effect on but reenlistments and future enlistment's in the reserves and national guard.
These two parts of our military supply a good part of the establishments force in time of need. If it does will the services need to increase the size of the standing military? What is the possibility of the need for the draft to fill it's needs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:23 am
I don't think the historical trend would show that big of a dip in reenlistments after major deployments. I'd guess the reenlistment rates will drop for a year or two and then go back to "normal" levels.

The Guard and Reserves usually don't have to many problems attracting people. The benefits packages offered are often much better than what the same person would get if they went on active duty.

I doubt we'll see a need to increase active duty strength or institute the draft.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
I agree with fishin's opinion about the future enlistment trends.

I don't know if this is across the board, but my brother was recalled for the USCG and he gets extra pay for housing even though they already pay to house him, he gets some 'make up' pay to make for the difference between what he was making before and now, and all of his purchases are expensed. I know there are reservists who went to Iraq that are getting similar perks. My brother was a union carpenter, so there is no 'job holding' that goes on for him because he works with contractors. However, I think anyone employed at a specific company has to have their job held.

And I didn't get a bonus or a raise this year either. A lot of people didn't because of the lousy economy (or some excuse like it).

I'm not saying that getting recalled doesn't put a big dent in your life, but it was OK for these reservists signed up to get an extra check to do their one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. If the possibilty of going to any war or being recalled for any reason was unattractive to them for financial, family or career reasons, they should have thought about that before volunteering. Because it still is volunteering and I don't feel bad for them at all. Many of the men and women in our military have been in a while, sitting around and getting nice perks (education, etc.) just for wearinga uniform - and that's great. But sometimes they get called to perform the job they signed up for. Who knows? Maybe things like this will weed out a few people who just sign up for a free ride through college.

OK - a real tangent of a rant, I'll admit. Happy monday. pppbbbttthhh
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:53 am
Sugar
You seem to have mixed the reserves and national Guard the enlisted or regular services.
Yes, I would suppose that many in the Guard and reserves are there for the money and other perks [if there are any] the question was will the recent and seemingly constant callups effect the rate of enlistment in those arms of the military?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:56 am
Sugar
I was recalled to active duty during the Korean war. It put another 21 month dent in my life. You can be assured that I did not reinlist.
0 Replies