SHOCKER AT THE POLLS

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
My post above describes the primary procedure for two neighboring states with closed primaries-New York State and Connecticut. The purpose of all this was to see if Sierra Song's posted story could possibly occur. As has been proven, this story could NOT occur in New York State, which is the state Hillary is running for Senate. So the story has been proven to be utterly false, as Setanta and others accurately stated early in this thread.

However, since the subject of primaries in other states has been raised, I will now deal with the primaries in other states in a general way, and answer Joe's post as well.

Up until 1990 or so, most states had closed primaries similar to New York State and Connecticut. You had to be a member of a party by Primary Day to vote in that party's primary. Incidentally, back then registering to vote even in the general election in November was not so easy to do-deadlines to register were usually in mid or late September, before a lot of people became interested in the races. A lot of people were left out on Election Day because they had not gotten around to register.

As pressure grew to make voting on Election Day easier, a related movement occurred to make it easier to vote in party's primaries as well. So the concept of "open primaries" took hold. The idea was to eliminate the requirement of making the voter register with a political party before voting in a primary.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

Quote:
Open. Voters may vote in primaries of a party of their choice, the choice to be made at the voting booth. When voters do not pre-register for a party, this is called the pick-a-party primary because the voter can select which party he wishes to vote in on election day. In other open primary states, voters pre-register their party preference but the information is only used by parties for mailing lists and is non-binding.

Please go to the link because it has a chart which says which states have closed primaries like New York State, and which have these "open primaries". Joe's Illinois has a "loosely enforced" system where the person must vote in the primary of the party whose primary he voted in before, but as he has shown, in actual practice it really is a "pick-a-party primary" system there.

So the story Sierra posted could theoretically have occurred if Hillary was running in any of a number of states with these open primaries-but not New York State, where Hillary is running.

PS: Massachusetts has a closed primary-you must be registered as a member of the party in whose primary you are voting-but you can register or change your registration right at the polling place. However, Massachusetts is not New York State, where you cannot do that. And Hillary is running in New York State.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Joe's Illinois has a "loosely enforced" system where the person must vote in the primary of the party whose primary he voted in before, but as he has shown, in actual practice it really is a "pick-a-party primary" system there.

Well, not precisely. The Illinois law says that a voter cannot switch parties if he or she voted in the other party's primary "within a period of 23 calendar months next preceding the calendar month in which such primary is held." 10 ILCS 5/7-43(d). Since primaries are usually 24 months apart, the law effectively means that a voter is free to switch parties at the polling place.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:59 am
Okay. So basically in law, as well as practice, Illinois has a "pick-a-party" primary system. Thank you for clarifying that.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:31 am
Okay. Just to return to New York State for a moment, the following chart shows the deadline for registering in a party to vote in that party's primary was August 18. Primary was Sept 12.

And a quick call to the New York State Board of Elections confirmed that when you go to the polling place on Primary Day, the party affiliation of every voter is listed right next to his or her name. The listed party is the only political party the in whose primary the voter will be allowed to vote.

Anyone wishing to confirm can call here:

New York State Board of Elections
40 Steuben Street
Albany, NY 12207-2108
Phone: 518-474-6220
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:39 am
In doing a little research on the author of this tripe, Alicia Colon, i came across another piece in The New York Sun, about allegations against two campaign workers (you guessed it, Democratic campaign workers), and which Miss Colon had sufficient irony (or lacked a sufficient sense of irony) to entitle "Election Ignorance Must End."

Indeed.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:20 pm
Quote:
Election Ignorance Must End
By Alicia Colon

An educated voter does his homework and will find good and bad candidates in every party. It is vitally important, however, to keep an open mind as we prepare to vote. I happen to be a conservative, but if I lived in Queens I would be voting to re-elect Council Member Eric Goia, a Democrat of the party that used to be. He's a politician who's hands-on, living and working in the community he represents. He sees a problem and does his best to solve it without wasting taxpayers' money. Then again, we have Democrats like Bill Perkins, who thinks noncitizens should have the right to vote, and Charles Barron, who sees everything in black and white, period.

Just terrible. How could she? Imagine, urging voters to vote responsibly. The nerve.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm
How very charming of you SS, to leave out so much of the article which preceeds that . . .

Quote:
Have Katie Barge and Lauren Weiner been indicted yet? No? I wonder how long it will take before these suspended members of Senator Schumer's campaign committee are charged with identity theft. Excuse me? Never, you say? Oh, that's right: They're Democrats. Republicans are getting indicted left and right on spurious charges while legal machinations against Democrats grind only slowly.

These two enterprising women are being probed for allegedly using a Social Security number to get access to a credit report on Maryland's lieutenant governor, Michael Steele, a rising Republican star. Mr. Steele is a charismatic speaker who also happens to be black, and that makes him dangerous to the Democratic Party, which must keep the black community in its back pocket. That's especially true here in New York City.

As Election Day nears, I keep hoping against hope that New Yorkers from all ethnic groups will wake up and take voting seriously for a change. This means exercising responsibly the privilege of electing our community representatives. For too long, too many New Yorkers have taken the easy way out and voted down the party line as a family tradition. Consequently, the same do-nothings get into office, perpetuating the status quo.

I've heard many in the minority community say they will never vote for a Republican. When asked why,they have no answer. Yet these same individuals are the ones who constantly complain about high taxes, failing schools, and poor services. They never bother to research the records of the politicians to whom they repeatedly hand over the reins of government. But things are changing, and while it may not be in time for this election, hope springs eternal.

A new organization was founded last year to break the yoke of ignorance in the election process, at least on Staten Island. Citizens Organized for Political Empowerment, aka COPE (www.copedrum.com), was established to promote a strong political organization and spark active participation in the civic and political affairs of Staten Island through education and voter registration.

In this article, as in the pack of lies by Colon which you first posted, her agenda to get minorities to vote Republican is evident. And she doesn't care how many lies she has to tell or who she has to slander to acheive her end. You must be proud of her.

Anyone who would like to get a grip on what sort of rag The New York Sun is, can go to the Wikipedia article, which writes, among other things:

Quote:
The Sun was created to establish a pro-free market conservative broadsheet in New York City to rival the New York Times. One of the founders of the Sun, in fact, previously established and edited a website devoted to issuing daily critiques of the Times. Like the Washington Times, which was launched as a conservative rival to the Washington Post, the Sun is close to the Republican Party and conservative intellectuals. Especially on foreign policy issues the Sun's editorial opinions resemble those of the neoconservative The Weekly Standard magazine.

Yeah, sure, SS, Miss Colon is only about responsible citizenship at the voting booth . . . surely one could never accuse her of a partisan bias . . . or of lying, right? (insert appropriate rolly-eyed emoticon here)
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
How very charming of you SS, to leave out so much of the article which preceeds that . . .

Yet you left out the entire article, implying that it was only about...

Quote:
allegations against two campaign workers (you guessed it, Democratic campaign workers), and which Miss Colon had sufficient irony (or lacked a sufficient sense of irony) to entitle "Election Ignorance Must End."

Of course, in the fantasy world of the left, anyone (especially an African-American woman like Alicia Colon) attempting to leave the Democratic plantation must be lying. Next thing you know, she'll be getting Oreos tossed her way.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:15 pm
Quote:
Well, not precisely. The Illinois law says that a voter cannot switch parties if he or she voted in the other party's primary "within a period of 23 calendar months next preceding the calendar month in which such primary is held." 10 ILCS 5/7-43(d). Since primaries are usually 24 months apart, the law effectively means that a voter is free to switch parties at the polling place.

What happened to "vote early, vote often?"

Of course, it wouldn't make sense to change parties midday, especially in a town where (in my neighborhood, when I lived there, anyway) a couple of uniformed cops stand (illegally) outside the polling place and tell the little Ukrainian women who to vote for on the way in.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:53 pm
SierraSong wrote:
Of course, in the fantasy world of the left, anyone (especially an African-American woman like Alicia Colon) attempting to leave the Democratic plantation must be lying. Next thing you know, she'll be getting Oreos tossed her way.

Cut the baloney. It couldn't have happened.

When Colon came in the room and gave her name to the volunteers, her party affiliation was listed right next to her name on the list. This comes straight from the New York State Bureau of Elections. So there is no way that the volunteers did not know she was Republican.

Sierra, you owe this forum an apology for publishing a story which has been proven untrue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:55 pm
SierraSong wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Yet you left out the entire article, implying that it was only about...

Quote:
allegations against two campaign workers (you guessed it, Democratic campaign workers), and which Miss Colon had sufficient irony (or lacked a sufficient sense of irony) to entitle "Election Ignorance Must End."

I posted a Hell of a lot more of it than you did, and by posting the opening paragraphs, demonstrated the agenda of the author.

Quote:

In fact, she has been branded a liar here by me and others because of the process which she describes for primary voting in the state of New York. I don't expect you to understand that though, because it would involve reading the entire thread, and displaying a capacity for reading comprehension. My experience of your posts in these fora suggest that either of those would be an unrealistic expectation of you.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:56 am
kelticwizard wrote:
SierraSong wrote:

Cut the baloney. It couldn't have happened.

When Colon came in the room and gave her name to the volunteers, her party affiliation was listed right next to her name on the list. This comes straight from the New York State Bureau of Elections. So there is no way that the volunteers did not know she was Republican.

Sierra, you owe this forum an apology for publishing a story which has been proven untrue.

Peter, you owe Alicia Colon an apology for calling her a liar. You weren't there, now were you? You don't know what the form the poll workers referred to looks like, now do you? You don't know if the "R" for Republican was 'right' next to her name or not, now do you? And even assuming it was, you don't know that the poll worker saw it right away.

I think it's as the author of the article portrays it. She walked in and because she's African-American, the poll worker assumed she was a Democrat.

Probably happens all the time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:15 am
SierraSong wrote:
I think it's as the author of the article portrays it. She walked in and because she's African-American, the poll worker assumed she was a Democrat.

Probably happens all the time.

I'm sure you want to believe it's true, because this is the kind of propaganda that a third-rate political journalism hack like Colon writes for the "true believer." This is a preaching to the choir rant, and it is no surprise at all that you buy this crap, hook, line and sinker.

This constitutes an extraordinary claim, for which Colon provides no evidence, and which very conveniently is unlikely to be subject to verification--and she knew that when she wrote this tripe. Absent proof, the reasonable assumption is that this doesn't "happen all the time," and that, in fact it rarely happens, if at all. But i'm sure Republicans cherish fantasies of claiming every constituency in the nation, and becoming the great Mother Monoparty.

Hey SS . . . WAKE UP ! ! !

You're dreamin' . . .
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:53 am
More from Alicia Colon:
Some blog entries here, and her own blog found here.
0 Replies