• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,908 • Replies: 53
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:37 pm
Re: SHOCKER AT THE POLLS
SierraSong wrote:

Yeah, there was a lot of this kind of braggodocio from Republicans in '04 too: more and more blacks are trending Republican! The Democrats cant take their vote for granted anymore!

Well, I'm all for parties not taking people's vote for granted, but as long as the Republican Party pursues its current policies and keeps its current cultural profile, it'll have a hard time attracting black voters. Q.E.D. in the '04 elections: after all the hooha, GWB got 11% of the black vote - just 2% up from 2000. Kerry got 89% - just 1 point less than Gore had gotten.

But then again, in 2004 about 90% of the delegates at the Republican National Convention were white; at the Democratic National Convention, it was about 65%. (I cited the exact numbers somewhere at the time, cant find it back). Having a few black figureheads can help the Republicans a little bit of course, but without a far-reaching overhaul of grassroots party culture and party policy, isnt going to effect much of anything.

Stopping to make out like the overwhelming majority of blacks who now vote Democratic must just be nothing but a bunch of unthinking sheep who can be bribed easily would probably be as good a place to start as any.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:47 pm
SierraSong wrote:

So casting your vote is not done in secret in America.....?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:50 pm
old europe wrote:
SierraSong wrote:

So casting your vote is not done in secret in America.....?

This is Republican propaganda, attempting to paint a lurid and melodramatic picture. When you vote in a primary, you can only vote in one party's primary--you can either vote in the Democratic primary, or the Republican primary, or another party's primary (if there is one, which is extremely rare). I frankly suspect that this is entirely made up horsepoop--when i've voted in primary elections, they ask you first thing which party's primary you intend to vote in. I frankly consider this propagandistic fiction, which the author can get away with because no one is able to check the story.

Basically, i say: horseshit . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 02:58 pm
complete and utter.

Joe(big round balls of it)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:01 pm
Not worth a new thread, but what is the background for primary elections?

I mean, why should a Democrat vote who she/he thinks should be the Republican candidate for whatever office?

Or even more, why should someone not being a member of a certain party do so?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:04 pm
Oh, right... it said primary election...

Interesting concept, primaries. And registering for a party before voting. Anyhow, thanks for the clarification!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:09 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I mean, why should a Democrat vote who she/he thinks should be the Republican candidate for whatever office?

You can only vote in one party's primary. If you vote for the candidates in the Democratic primary, then you can't vote for candidates in the Republican primary, and vice versa. This stupid Op/Ed piece intends to claim that people are shocked and unable to cope with the idea that black women would vote in a Republican primary, and that the poll workers automatically assumed that these black women would be voting in the Democratic primary. I say it's very likely made-up bullshit. Because of successful lawsuits, people's voters registration no longer includes information on what party the registered voter claims to affiliate with, and this has been true for more than 20 years. For more than 20 years, poll workers automatically ask you which party's primary you intend to vote in, because it is no longer recorded in the registration rolls.

This fairy tale is attempting to suggest that these poll workers automatically assumed that black women would be voting in the Democratic primary, rather than asking them. I frankly think the author is lying, and that the incident never occurred. For more than 20 years, poll workers right across the country have been in the habit of asking voters in which party's primary they intend to vote. The author is attempting to create the false impression that no one would believe that a black woman would vote in the Republican primary, because no one would ever think a black woman were a Republican. It's a horseshit story, but i'll be the rightwingnuts love it . . . look for it to come to an anonymous email near you soon . . .
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:09 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Yeah, I've been wondering, too. Just looked it up online, but that only enlightened me that much...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:10 pm
Here in Wisconsin you don't have to state party affiliation when you register, and can vote in any one party's primary.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:10 pm
http://www.acteva.com/pba/26821/images/NBRA%20logo.JPG http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Black_Republican_groups_radio_ad_accuses_0921.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:11 pm
In some states, they hold the primary elections on different days, and an incident like this would never occur.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:11 pm
old europe wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Yeah, I've been wondering, too. Just looked it up online, but that only enlightened me that much...

Did the same, came to the same conclusion Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:17 pm
For the clueless Europeans in this thread:

AMERICANS DO NOT REGISTER AS MEMBERS OF POLITICAL PARTIES WHEN THEY REGISTER TO VOTE. THEREFORE, IN A PRIMARY ELECTION, THEY MUST INDICATE TO THE POLL WORKERS WHICH PARTY'S PRIMARY ELECTION THEY WISH TO VOTE IN, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE IN THE PRIMARY ELECTIONS OF BOTH PARTIES.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
I had to state my affiliation when I registered in California, but that was doubtless because I was registering to vote absentee...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:24 pm
patiodog wrote:
I had to state my affiliation when I registered in California, but that was doubtless because I was registering to vote absentee...

Could be--i've never voted absentee for a primary, so i wouldn't know--but that makes sense.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:25 pm
Setanta wrote:

AMERICANS DO NOT REGISTER AS MEMBERS OF POLITICAL PARTIES WHEN THEY REGISTER TO VOTE. THEREFORE, IN A PRIMARY ELECTION, THEY MUST INDICATE TO THE POLL WORKERS WHICH PARTY'S PRIMARY ELECTION THEY WISH TO VOTE IN, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE IN THE PRIMARY ELECTIONS OF BOTH PARTIES.

Thanks, Set, but I am still clueless. Crying or Very sad

I mean, no-one is interested if I'm a party member or not, when I get registered - that happens automatically here, when I'm old enough (16 resp. 18 years old).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:25 pm
Setanta wrote:

He's talking about me!

<stands up>

So, two more questions, your honour:

1. I thought Americans did register as members of political parties when registering to vote. In some cases. (So: when exactly?)

2. Why is it still not done in secrecy - like, you get a list of every party, cast your vote(s) on one party's list, drop the list you vote on into a "my vote" box and the other list(s) into a "not my vote" box...? Or you could use a 'puter, and it would be even simpler.... I mean, why does everybody have to know your party affiliation kindofsortofyouknow???
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:27 pm
Thanks, oe - you put it much clearer. :wink:
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
patiodog wrote:
Here in Wisconsin you don't have to state party affiliation when you register, and can vote in any one party's primary.

And patiodog, can you vote in every party's primary, or just in any party's primary?
0 Replies