the Democrats Should Lose in November

snood

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:04 am
This is not something one would expect to read in the Huffington Post.

But I think it needed to be said, and needs to be read by our Democratic 'leaders'. I am so sick of their trying to all things to all people, and not just clearly saying where they stand. I would like to hear especially from Sozobe and Joe Nation on this one.

I don't generally cut and paste things this long, but I wanted as many to read it as possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE DEMOCRATS SHOULD PROBABLY LOSE IN NOVEMBER

For the sake of America, I hope the Democrats win. In the 5+ years of solid Republican rule, the congress has abdicated its constitutional role as a watchdog. It has become just another cheerleading section for the Republican party and has overseen fraud, waste, criminal activity and the abdication of American values and the abolition of precious liberties.
A Democratic congress would at least restore checks and balances and throw a well-deserving butt or two in jail.

For the sake of the Democratic party, the party's long-term viability, and America's long term existence I sort of hope the Democrats lose this November. A win this Fall would be an endorsement of the party's ridiculously idiotic posture and would reward its sniveling cowardice with power. A Democratic win would put a rubber stamp on the feckless leadership and push the party to keep it going into 2008, where we would lose yet again for the third time out of the last four elections.

The Democratic Party apparently has no clue. It seems to believe that 1994-present is just a temporal hiccup, and all they have to do is wait for the Republicans to self-destruct and naturally inherit the earth and the congress. The party is like the child who refuses to learn its lesson, even though the results of 2000, 2002, and 2004 show us that simply wishing is not a good enough strategy for winning.

I thought they would learn. I thought they would learn to keep the message simple, repeat it often and repeat it wherever the media was. The Republicans have mastered this. The phrases they come up with are not magic (as folks like George Lakoff would have you believe) but appeal to people's gut instincts, especially with their repetition ("Head On, Apply Directly To The Forehead" is just the latest iteration of "Flip Flopper").

Democrats refuse to aim for the gut and the heart and prefer to aim for the head. So many Democrats and progressives think simply dropping a mountain of "facts" to "refute" Republican arguments will work in the public's eyes. But if you're responding, you are already losing.

Ever since I've been able to vote, the Democrats have been in response mode. Since 1994 they have steadily tried the same old, same old stodgy techniques, acting as if still in power while the Republicans have adapted and are beating the hell out of the Dems. The Republicans identified a way to get the vote out by sending a consistent message to their base and getting the base to share that message with their friends. Democrats outsource the jobs to the unions and pray that black voters turn out to vote. One of those two strategies is viable in the long term. It's not ours.

The Clinton folks innovated with the war room concept, responding and also introducing new media stories throughout the whole media cycle. They did this in an environment dominated by the three networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) and a handful of papers (NY Times, USA Today, Washington Post, etc.). Yet, even this concept is not being used by today's Democrats and we face a significantly faster and news hungry media environment that encompasses 24-hour blogs, cable news, newspapers, magazines, radio and the like.

This is not a question of having a progressive or conservative media, or a question of financial assets. The tools are all there and they don't cost a lot. Democrats are just not willing to do this. Republicans regularly flood the media with new initiatives, attacks on the left, and propaganda in favor of their party and the conservative movement. If you're lucky, sometime in the cycle a Democrat will drop off a press release or someone will say something on the floor of the House or Senate that nobody ever sees. The idea of using friendly contacts in the blogosphere and pushing the media to include a Democratic response or initiative just seems like its too much hard work.

None of this is hard to do, it certainly is not rocket science. The strategy of "hoping" has led to losing, why would it be any different this year? The President is one of the most unpopular in history, while the GOP-dominated congress is at all-time lows. Yet, the Democrats are not benefiting from this. Like the Kerry campaign not capitalizing on a President with middling approval ratings, Democrats are not presenting themselves as the alternative to the Republican brand. People are tired of Brand GOP but Brand Democrat isn't even handing out free samples. You can't blame the consumer for not choosing you if aren't getting in their faces, can you? No.

The Democrats don't deserve to win this election or the next one until they begin to show that they are willing to fight for it. They need to show that they want to fight hard and aren't just going to sit back and relax. They need to show that they believe in their guts on the issues we hold dear (Defending America, Improving America, Uniting America) and aren't so damn scared that Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh might say something mean about them, and choose to be so damn vanilla nobody gives a damn.

America needs a strong Democratic party, but aren't getting it. In the absence of that, Republicans will rule. Because for all their innate evil, racism, classism and cronyism - their is no denying Republicans lust for the role of leaders while Democrats barely seem to want to show up.

Do better, damn it.

-OLIVER WILLIS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/oliver-willis/the-democrats-should-prob_b_30011.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 677 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:15 am
Not sure what you expect my response to be...?

I've long been extremely frustrated by how the Democrats are operating. That's part of why I'm so enthused by Obama -- he's pretty much the only Democrat right now that I wholeheartedly approve of. (I like Feingold, too, and a few others... but I'm not at all fond of Howard Dean or most of the ones who are currently in "power", or what passes for power in the Democratic party.)

All of that said, of course I think it's silly that things would be better off if the Democrats lose. That trope keeps coming up and keeps being proven wrong. It doesn't matter if a vote for Nader gets Bush into the White House, it will energize the left and make stuff happen. (2000.) It doesn't matter is Bush beats Kerry, they're both in the pocket of big business and they're both evil oh and it'll energize the left. (2004.)

The left keeps not being energized, or at least not energized in an effective way. I want Obama to energize 'em, on the presidential level. On the midterm election level, I think there are only good things in having the Democrats win, especially getting some checks and balances back into the government.

And I think it's dangerous to purposely do this "message" stuff -- as I think the 2000 and 2004 elections have amply demonstrated.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 11:44 am
I didn't ask for your reply because I expected anything in particular, Sozobe - I asked because I was interested in what you thought of the ideas.

I have to agree that I don't want any "messages" sent by not electing Democrats this November.

It's just that I am so frikkin sick of the wishy-washy-triangulating-not-too-blue-not-too-red NOTHING that passes for Democratic "positions" these days. I agree with the idea that they wait around hoping, instead of taking proactive action - like picking a few messages and a few outlets and repeating until we know them like we know Republican catch-phrases by heart.

I agree with the idea in the article that if they don't gain the house this time (or just barely gain it), they deserve every bit of the failure for all their luke-warmness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean. That definitely frustrates the heck out of me, too.

It seems like the Democrats have been doing focus groups first and then finding the candidate that best matches the focus group wish list -- but that is always too compromise and too milquetoast. That's why I want the inspiring candidate to come first -- he (or she) will bring people around, even if he (or she) does not neatly dovetail with their wishlists.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:25 pm
There is hope. We had Lamont defeating Lieberman (although he still has to do it a second time) in Connecticut. We have Deval Patrick winning in Massachusetts.

I wish that we had more consistant courage to take stands on issues from Democrats nationally, but as a solidly liberal Democrat... I feel more energized that I have in the past decade. I think that something is waking up in the Democratic party.

I don't agree it is better to lose... and I think that it is good when the progressive candidates do well in the Democratic party.

I am feeling hope.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm
Me too!

(And thanks for the compliment, snood. Always interested in your take on these things, too.)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
snood wrote:
I didn't ask for your reply because I expected anything in particular, Sozobe - I asked because I was interested in what you thought of the ideas.

I have to agree that I don't want any "messages" sent by not electing Democrats this November.

It's just that I am so frikkin sick of the wishy-washy-triangulating-not-too-blue-not-too-red NOTHING that passes for Democratic "positions" these days. I agree with the idea that they wait around hoping, instead of taking proactive action - like picking a few messages and a few outlets and repeating until we know them like we know Republican catch-phrases by heart.

I agree with the idea in the article that if they don't gain the house this time (or just barely gain it), they deserve every bit of the failure for all their luke-warmness.

Snood, I find your feelings very interesting. As an opponent of the liberal side, I've seen this for a long time. I wonder if you are undergoing a transition, but it has not yet gotten to the point where you would change your voting habits? It is my opinion that many liberals really cannot say what they truly believe in some respects or they would be thoroughly trounced at the polling place, so they have no choice but to ride the fence.

The Clintonistas refined focus grouping to state of the art, whereby Clinton even used it to determine where to go on vacation, just one example, but it was a way of life, so Clinton basically did everything in this manner. This of course is not leadership at all. I think the people crave a true leader that will stand up for something that is definite and inspiring, not demoralizing. I could use many examples, but partial birth abortion is not inspiring, so how can a Democrat give speeches trying to inspire people by discussing the right to kill our own? There are many more examples I could cite, but Snood, I think you get the drift that I am very glad to be a conservative because we do not need to shy away from stating very simple, inspiring, and common sense principles.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 01:28 pm
Okie,

As an opponent of the conservative side, I see things quite differently than you do.

The conservatives hold positions that many Americans disagree with. Most Americans want a woman's right to choose (with reservations). A great majority of Americans believe in stem cell research. Americans now agree that the war in Iraq was a mistake.

The conservatives get away with having and promoting views that are outside of the mainstream because they state them simply and stand behind them no matter what.

There is no question that American government has moved significantly to the right in the past decade. This doesn't mean that the American people have moved... remember that Gore got most of the vote and Kerry got almost half.

My belief is that Democratic politicians stood for liberal values (as I define liberal values which may be different than how you define them) and defended them much the way that Republicans now champion the values of the right, we would see much greater Democratic success in politics.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
As an example, conservatives are attacking multiculturalism. Republicans are jumping right in.

Multiculturalism is a core value of much of America. Struggles to gain acceptance for Catholics, Asians, Blacks and Jews are part of our national story.

This is a fight that should be easy to win. I want to see Democrats take on the anti-Diversity message of conservative Republicans and make them eat their own words.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
As an example, conservatives are attacking multiculturalism. Republicans are jumping right in.

Multiculturalism is a core value of much of America. Struggles to gain acceptance for Catholics, Asians, Blacks and Jews are part of our national story.

This is a fight that should be easy to win. I want to see Democrats take on the anti-Diversity message of conservative Republicans and make them eat their own words.

You've brought up a very important issue that we obviously disagree on. I see the Democrats efforts to promote multiculturalism as essentially promoting racial differences and other types of differences. Conservatives believe in judging people as Martin Luther King asserted, by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin. For example, politicians should be judged according to their character, their stance on issues, and on their leadership abilities, rather than whether we need another woman, black, or hispanic in office.

ebrown, I do not believe in discrimination against anyone due to race or due them being a woman or a man, I was not raised to do it, and I have never believed in it, but neither do I care to wallow in pity for people simply because of their race, gender, or something else. I don't understand why people simply cannot get over their own "woe is me" complexes and be happy. Instead of amplifying race and gender as liberals tend to do, conservatives would rather amplify other qualities of people that matter much more.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:49 pm
You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 11:41 pm
Only a Leninist wishes for the ship of state to run aground in order to obtain a new captain.

And I notice those who call for such never seem to be the galley slaves who bear the pain.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:43 am
I didn't post the article as a cheer for running the ship aground. Moreso, as a chance to hear the grumblings from the crew. I feel I have no real alternative bt to vote Democrat, in the present state of affairs. I just wish they weren't so abjectly chickenshyt.
0 Replies