Nightmare boss-talk

Gala

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:24 pm
My boss is difficult, which loosely translated means I am being extremely generous. Please share your nighmare boss stories so I know I am not alone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,240 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:46 pm
oh god gala...where to start?

I'll be back.
we'll have a lot to share. Cool
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:48 pm
I have a new boss. She is really nice - a great person.

But she seems to be having a problem focusing on anything. I am trying to tell her something and she talks in a tangent to whatever I'm saying...So much that I began to doubt my own communication capabilities. Everybody seems to be having the same problem with her...

Also, she's dumb when it comes to technical stuff. I dont really hate her...but i mostly ignore her. Cool
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
sakhi wrote:

But she seems to be having a problem focusing on anything. I am trying to tell her something and she talks in a tangent to whatever I'm saying...So much that I began to doubt my own communication capabilities. Everybody seems to be having the same problem with her...

Also, she's dumb when it comes to technical stuff. I dont really hate her...but i mostly ignore her. Cool

That sounds confusing. I know about ignoring your "superior", but that can get a little draining.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:51 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
oh god gala...where to start?

I'll be back.
we'll have a lot to share. Cool

You just start slowly, Chai Tea. it's the never-ending discussion, once you start, well, you start to make connections and bring up the insults, etc. It has a life of it's own.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:55 pm
Here's an example of my supervisor-- this happend in the Spring. His wife calls him in the morning and tells him she has tingling down her arm and chest pains. He tells her "don't go to the emergency room because if it's not an emergency it will cost more."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:24 pm
I'll get back to you. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:40 pm
Checking in - I had a boss who either backslapped or fired people, big time guy too. I was among the backslapped, but that's no way to live either.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 12:49 am
Gala wrote:
sakhi wrote:

That sounds confusing. I know about ignoring your "superior", but that can get a little draining.

Draining? Not really. It drains me to talk to her though. She is taking way too long to get to know the product and the project. She keeps getting muddled with all the releases of the product - well, it was ok in the beginning but it's getting on my nerves now.

I can afford to ignore her - with the kind of structure we have. So far I haven't consulted her on anything - though I'm polite enough to just inform her, at least. I don't think she will last long here
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 04:48 am
It's draining to talk to my boss too.

There are several reasons, but lack of focus is a big one.

The only way to ensure she is listening to you is to literally call her attention to the fact she's not absorbing what you're saying being she's also doing at least 3 other things. We've worked together since 1998, so I have no problem with saying to her..."when you get done reading that email, I need to have all your attention so I can talk to you about 4 things"

I need to tell her there will be 4 items coming up, or I'll loose her in a tangent she'll go off on during the first. As I finish each one, I'll say, Now....pause....NEXT (or 3rd)....

This lack of focus has to do with a real self centeredness, a unawareness that others lives are different that hers, and quite frankly, a certain about of gaucheness.

whew gala.......that last part was hard to put into words.

This thread is going to be good for me I think....I don't need advice, but a place to express, and listen to others.

Definately a work in progress.....thanks
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:39 am
I have a multi paged thread on another forum about the people I work with.
They are very nice and incredibly intelligent but I have been f***ing livid about some things that have(or havnt) happened here.
My main concern (in my own 'im only a receptionist' way) is that I think people should come in at a good hour and work when they are there.
Yes, my colleagues work unsociable hours at times but other times I feel very annoyed when bosses come in late, avoid work, chat etc when there is a pooh load of work to do.
One boss went to a job that was a 4 hour drive away did the job then spent the rest of the day with his relatives that lived in the area!!!He had loads of work to do!!
He has also bought a shed, has his hair cut, picked up friends form the airport etc all on work time.
Things get delayed or forgotten then it all snowballs.I have very little work to do but sometimes there are 3 of us here, me and 2 superiors and they will chat about crap for a couple of hours instead of working!
Sometimes I dont get lunch or a break due to no cover being arranged, and Im rarely informed I wont be able to have a break.
Im in an hour before the colleagues here have to be in!!How crazy is that.I do nothing!

Call me crazy but Im under the impression that superiors are supposed to lead by example.No example here.

Best if I stop there or Il go off on one again.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:40 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

There are several reasons, but lack of focus is a big one.

The only way to ensure she is listening to you is to literally call her attention to the fact she's not absorbing what you're saying being she's also doing at least 3 other things. We've worked together since 1998, so I have no problem with saying to her..."when you get done reading that email, I need to have all your attention so I can talk to you about 4 things"

I need to tell her there will be 4 items coming up, or I'll loose her in a tangent she'll go off on during the first. As I finish each one, I'll say, Now....pause....NEXT (or 3rd)....

This lack of focus has to do with a real self centeredness, a unawareness that others lives are different that hers, and quite frankly, a certain about of gaucheness.

whew gala.......that last part was hard to put into words.

This thread is going to be good for me I think....I don't need advice, but a place to express, and listen to others.

Definately a work in progress.....thanks

What's draining about talking to my boss is he's competitive, an egomaniac, has mood swings, and is terrified of ever being wrong or admitting he makes mistakes.

If I go to him with a simple question that ought to take a minute at the most to answer it invariably turns into 10 minutes or longer of discussion. A control freak.

He favors one person in the office who does minimal work, but she kisses his keester to kingdom come. She's a snitch and a back-stabber.

That's just a small slice of the dynamic.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:49 pm
material girl wrote:
I have a multi paged thread on another forum about the people I work with.
They are very nice and incredibly intelligent but I have been f***ing livid about some things that have(or havnt) happened here.
My main concern (in my own 'im only a receptionist' way) is that I think people should come in at a good hour and work when they are there.
Yes, my colleagues work unsociable hours at times but other times I feel very annoyed when bosses come in late, avoid work, chat etc when there is a pooh load of work to do.
One boss went to a job that was a 4 hour drive away did the job then spent the rest of the day with his relatives that lived in the area!!!He had loads of work to do!!
He has also bought a shed, has his hair cut, picked up friends form the airport etc all on work time.
Things get delayed or forgotten then it all snowballs.I have very little work to do but sometimes there are 3 of us here, me and 2 superiors and they will chat about crap for a couple of hours instead of working!
Sometimes I dont get lunch or a break due to no cover being arranged, and Im rarely informed I wont be able to have a break.
Im in an hour before the colleagues here have to be in!!How crazy is that.I do nothing!

Call me crazy but Im under the impression that superiors are supposed to lead by example.No example here.

Best if I stop there or Il go off on one again.

Eeesh. This sounds a little familiar. Although the abuses aren't as flagrant where I work, there are definitely people in higher level positions who do whatever they want and often. The rules they impose don't apply to them. They always find someone to pick on or to carry the load they themselves do not want to do. And they're snobs.

I see these "well-educated" people to be self-indulgent, untrustworthy, full of themselves. Everyone I work with is well-educated, and the majority of us have advanced degrees. Nonetheless, they are narrow-minded and limited in their creativity and flexibility.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:26 pm
Gala wrote:
He favors one person in the office who does minimal work, but she kisses his keester to kingdom come. She's a snitch and a back-stabber.

My boss from Hell (one of them) was the type to demand ass kissing and then hate you for it. The more her ass was kissed, the harder she kicked the kisser. One man was old enough to be her father. He became her #1 whipping boy. It was a disgrace the way she belittled that man. Daily.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
I moved to another department and have a new boss now since June. He is the head of research. He is the kindest person I know but it is still hard to work with him. These researchers really live in another world... Last week, he asked me to book a hotel for him in Barcelona. He had stayed there before, but couldn't remember the name. I looked all over, couldn't find anything, then he walks in with an email he printed out. There was a hotel name in the email which he had circled. He said "There! That's not the hotel I am talking about. We were supposed to stay in this hotel, but it was closed so we stayed in the other one I am looking for now..." Oh yes? That's really helpful!

He starts telling me something, gets lost in his thoughts and walks out in the middle of his sentence. He dictates emails on tape, I type them, mail them to him and he sends them on - if he remembers to read my mail...

But again - he is a very nice person. I used to work for a guy who needed total attention 24/7 almost. He'd call me from the airport in Lisbon asking me to change his flight. I change the flight, tell him to go the Lufthansa counter to have his ticket changed and he - seriously - asks me where the Lufthansa counter is. I couldn't stop myself and said that as hard as I am trying, I just can't see the Lisbon airport from my desk in Germany...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
eoe wrote:
Gala wrote:

My boss from Hell (one of them) was the type to demand ass kissing and then hate you for it. The more her ass was kissed, the harder she kicked the kisser. One man was old enough to be her father. He became her #1 whipping boy. It was a disgrace the way she belittled that man. Daily.

Just pitiful. I feel badly for the man, but he asked for it? I can understand wanting toget along with your boss, but this is the opposite. Your boss from Hell must have loathed herself.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:08 pm
urs53 wrote:
I moved to another department and have a new boss now since June. He is the head of research. He is the kindest person I know but it is still hard to work with him. These researchers really live in another world... Last week, he asked me to book a hotel for him in Barcelona. He had stayed there before, but couldn't remember the name. I looked all over, couldn't find anything, then he walks in with an email he printed out. There was a hotel name in the email which he had circled. He said "There! That's not the hotel I am talking about. We were supposed to stay in this hotel, but it was closed so we stayed in the other one I am looking for now..." Oh yes? That's really helpful!

He starts telling me something, gets lost in his thoughts and walks out in the middle of his sentence. He dictates emails on tape, I type them, mail them to him and he sends them on - if he remembers to read my mail...

But again - he is a very nice person. I used to work for a guy who needed total attention 24/7 almost. He'd call me from the airport in Lisbon asking me to change his flight. I change the flight, tell him to go the Lufthansa counter to have his ticket changed and he - seriously - asks me where the Lufthansa counter is. I couldn't stop myself and said that as hard as I am trying, I just can't see the Lisbon airport from my desk in Germany...

urs, I truly believe the majority of people want to get promoted and have higher paying jobs so they don't have to use their brains anymore. Luckily, by your description he's not a nasty guy, which can be poison, he's just an air-head.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:42 am
Yes, Gala, I think you're right there... And I am really glad that my current boss is nice! Until now, I can still smile at the things he's doing...
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 03:43 am
Chai Tea wrote:

Rolling Eyes I know how that feels.

She's such a fake - and I really dislike her neverending compliments. She told me I'm beautiful - so is my dress. She called me a genius. She said i was hard-working. Just now she called me a super-woman!! (God, I have done nothing that worthwhile today..just another day)

And then she comes and asks me some dumb questions. I patiently answer and I can see that it's all bouncing off her head...I have no clue when I'll lose my patience and tell her to buzz off.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 04:16 am
sakhi, I hear ya, I get that, too. See: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83287 for more tales of, well, I wouldn't call it woe. More like puzzlement.
0 Replies