What does "Fill my cup" mean?

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:07 pm
What does the phrase "Fill my cup" mean? Does it mean "to fill with events"? For example... if a person says "I'm going to wake up tomorow and fill my cup" in a rephrased version that would be "I'm going to wake up tomorow and ___________."
Help?
Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 30,154 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:26 am
Hey, love. That expression can be metaphorical or literal. If one says, "My cup runneth over", it means that everything is almost perfect in the life of an individual.

It can be literal in the respect that it means refilling a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. It is all dependent on the situation and context.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
BBB
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

The caravan of life shall always pass
Beware that is fresh as sweet young grass
Let's not worry about what tomorrow will amass
Fill my cup again, this night will pass, alas.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:05 pm
well, none of your replies really helped me. I need a specific definition and the literal kind where you actually fill a cup, that's why I said "the phrase "Fill my cup" ...
What exactly do people mean when they say, "Tomorrow I'm going to fill my cup." ??
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:09 am
BBB
fill as much as possible; "brim a cup to good fellowship"
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
Thanks! So it basically means, do as much as possible?
loveislikearose3

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
loveislikearose3 wrote:
well, none of your replies really helped me. I need a specific definition and the literal kind where you actually fill a cup, that's why I said "the phrase "Fill my cup" ...
What exactly do people mean when they say, "Tomorrow I'm going to fill my cup." ??

Ooops... above I meant NOT the literal kind.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
It means you wake up and have a cup of coffee. Fill it to the rim, with Brim.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:36 pm
loveislikearose3 wrote:
loveislikearose3 wrote:

Ooops... above I meant NOT the literal kind.....

Oh. Never mind.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/8662/gr1oc.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:37 pm
loveislikearose3 wrote:
Thanks! So it basically means, do as much as possible?

Yes.
loveislikearose3

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
Ah! Where did you get that picture of me??
I am going to tell Dr Chai about you hacking in or breaking in... she will know how to deal with it.
But umm.. thanks. Now I know. Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Actually, I've never known anyone to use that phrase anyway, Nope, never heard it used. Not in Canada, at any rate.

Weird phraseology, if you ask me.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Actually, I've never known anyone to use that phrase anyway, Nope, never heard it used. Not in Canada, at any rate.

Weird phraseology, if you ask me.
AaTruly

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:58 am
What does "Come fill my cup" mean?
Naturally, the term "fill my cup" is not in common, everyday usage, because it is primarily in poetic, literary, or archaic usage.

BumbleBeeBoogie was quite correct in citing its usage in the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - poetry, not everyday conversation.

As others have posted, "fill my cup" may be used in either literal or figurative senses. Examples:

--No, don't put any coffee in the vacuum bottle - just fill my cup.

--Spoken to somebody serving coffee: Everybody else seems to be having only half-cups of coffee, but please fill my cup. (more common: "Fill it up all the way.")

--Realizing what he had been missing for many years, Horace decided to take a "fill my cup" approach to life and resigned from his job before embarking on a long cruise to Patagonia.

--Life is a cabaret - come fill my cup. (with pleasure, joy, etc.)

cf. "My cup runneth over." (not a cup of water, but things for which to be grateful)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:01 pm
Re: What does "Fill my cup" mean?
loveislikearose3 wrote:
What does the phrase "Fill my cup" mean? Does it mean "to fill with events"? For example... if a person says "I'm going to wake up tomorow and fill my cup" in a rephrased version that would be "I'm going to wake up tomorow and ___________."
Help?
Sad

Sure, sure, whatever.... poetry, archaic, whathaveyou... the point is, the question was if a person says that phrase, what does it mean? And my answer is, Nobody uses it TODAY in conversation, in Canada at least.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:14 pm
Re: What does "Fill my cup" mean?
Mame wrote:

Sure, sure, whatever.... poetry, archaic, whathaveyou... the point is, the question was if a person says that phrase, what does it mean? And my answer is, Nobody uses it TODAY in conversation, in Canada at least.

Actually, I hear it being used all the time, and I live in the US. I hear it used very commonly and very often, by many people.
And I don't live in the past either... so that means it IS used today. Mad
loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:20 pm
Re: What does "Come fill my cup" mean?
AaTruly wrote:
Naturally, the term "fill my cup" is not in common, everyday usage, because it is primarily in poetic, literary, or archaic usage.
BumbleBeeBoogie was quite correct in citing its usage in the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - poetry, not everyday conversation.
As others have posted, "fill my cup" may be used in either literal or figurative senses. Examples:
--No, don't put any coffee in the vacuum bottle - just fill my cup.
--Spoken to somebody serving coffee: Everybody else seems to be having only half-cups of coffee, but please fill my cup. (more common: "Fill it up all the way.")
--Realizing what he had been missing for many years, Horace decided to take a "fill my cup" approach to life and resigned from his job before embarking on a long cruise to Patagonia.
--Life is a cabaret - come fill my cup. (with pleasure, joy, etc.)
cf. "My cup runneth over." (not a cup of water, but things for which to be grateful)

No, I don't need it in the literal way where a person is actually asking someone to fill their cup of coffee for them. What exactly, does "come fill my cup" mean, and not the literal way? And when a person says that tomorow he will fill his cup, I know for sure he doesn't mean a cup of coffee, but he means something different. So far I've gotten answers like "do as much as possible" and I've stuck with those. Those are the only ones that fit to the examples of conversation that I've given.
Thanks for your help.
If you anyone still wants to give me specific definitions of the phrase "fill my cup" when used in comon conversation, you're welcome to- I'll gladly accept it.
zoofer

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 01:17 am
I'm with Mame and not just because she is pretty.

I have never heard it being used in the context of which it was asked.

In most English speaking countries anyway.

As an aside Mame, how did you get in nearly 7,000 posts since the start of the year?

(Have you no laundry and dishes to do?) Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 02:51 pm
Zoof - there's an art - you have to play the games, baby, play the games - we're really quick over there Smile Trivia.

Fill My Cup. Nope. Fill your boots. Fill your pants/britches. Fill 'er up. Fill in the form. Fill in the blanks. Fill the bill.

When I googled it, I got a hymn:

Fill my cup, Lord I lift it up, Lord Come and quench this thirsting in my soul. Bread from Heaven, Feed me till I want no more. Fill my cup Fill it up

There ya go.
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:00 am
Ya'but language is dynamic, it is always evolving. Maybe "Fill my cup today" is emerging into everyday common use.
It may even overtake "Lets do lunch" (hint hint :wink: ) as an example of unusual if not mangled grammar.
Shocked
0 Replies