Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
Simple solution. have no religious groups/churches tax exempt and let them all say/preach whatever they so desire.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:41 am
dyslexia wrote:
Simple solution. have no religious groups/churches tax exempt and let them all say/preach whatever they so desire.

dys, it's more than just tax exemption here.

What happened to freedom of religion and speech?

If they were pro war and pro Bush this would not have happened. What you've got in America is the Brave New World.

Protesters are not allowed to speak in the presence of BushCo.
Pro Bushies are. What the hell is that saying about your freedom?

Pretty scary sh** going on down there in the States.
0 Replies

Dghs48

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:58 am
Billy Graham isn't tax exempt, is he? Is his church/foundation?
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
Billy Graham is tax exempt - why?
Billy Graham Evangelistic Association

www.give.org
there is more than one website about his tax exempt 'church'

Billy Graham Evangelistic Association November 2005

1 Billy Graham Parkway
Charlotte, NC 28201

877-247-2426
704-401-2432

www.billygraham.org Expiration Date: November 2007

Year, State Incorporated: 1950, Minnesota

Affiliates: Blue Ridge Broadcasting Corporation, Graham Fund for Evangelism

Stated Purpose: "to support and extend the evangelistic calling and ministries of Billy Graham and Franklin Graham by proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all ... by every effective means available ... and by equipping others to do the same."

Evaluation Conclusions

Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) does not meet the following 3 Standards for Charity Accountability.

Standard 4 : Compensated Board Members - Not more than one or 10% (whichever is greater) directly or indirectly compensated person(s) serving as voting member(s) of the board. Compensated members shall not serve as the board's chair or treasurer.

BGEA does not meet this Standard because the chair of the board is directly compensated.

Standard 12 : Detailed Functional Breakdown of Expenses - Include in the financial statements a breakdown of expenses (e.g., salaries, travel, postage, etc.) that shows what portion of these expenses was allocated to program, fund raising, and administrative activities. If the charity has more than one major program category, the schedule should provide a breakdown for each category.

BGEA does not meet this Standard because the organization's financial statements did not include a detailed functional breakdown of expenses by natural classification (e.g., salaries, travel, postage, etc.) that shows what portion of these expenses was allocated to program, fund raising, and administrative activities.

Standard 17 : Web Site Disclosures - Include on any charity websites that solicit contributions, the same information that is recommended for annual reports, as well as the mailing address of the charity and electronic access to its most recent IRS Form 990.

BGEA does not meet this Standard because its website does not include all of the recommended information for charity websites that solicit contributions. Specifically, it does not provide electronic access to BGEA's most recent IRS Form 990.

In addition, the BBB Wise Giving Alliance requested but did not receive complete information on the organization's governance and oversight, effectiveness measures, finances, solicitation materials, donor privacy, and fundraising disclosures and is unable to verify the organization's compliance with the following 12 Standards for Charity Accountability: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, and 20.

Charity Response: In response, BGEA indicated that it voluntary provided the Alliance copies of its latest IRS Form 900, audited financial statements, and annual report. However, it does not wish to provide other requested updated information. BGEA believes that it "...continue[s] to enjoy a reputation for accountability and trustworthiness."

Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) meets the remaining 4 Standards for Charity Accountability. Please note that as of the date of this report 1 of the 20 Standards for Charity Accountability is not currently effective. As a result, this Standard has not been applied to this evaluation.

Programs

BGEA conducts evangelistic outreaches in North America and around the world. BGEA also publishes a monthly magazine, Decision, which includes articles on evangelistic and spiritual growth and updates about the current work of BGEA. BGEA's literature ministry also sells various Christian publications and products. BGEA maintains a youth website. The organization's broadcast evangelism program also produces television specials across the United States and Canada, as well as radio programs and Christian-themed motion pictures. Its training ministry prepares individuals for large scale and one-on-one evangelism. BGEA's World Emergency Fund provides physical and spiritual aid to areas around the world that have been affected by natural disasters. Some ($43,461,624 or 44%) of BGEA's program activities are carried out in conjunction with fund raising appeals. Most ($6,507,084 or 62%) of BGEA's administrative expenses are carried out in conjunction with fund raising appeals.

For the year ended December 31, 2004, BGEA's program expenses were:

Radio, television and films 26,599,011
Evangelistic crusades and festivals 19,450,833
Communications - other 17,658,532
Other evangelistic ministry 10,255,040
Billy Graham Training Center 9,118,126
Training ministry - other 7,838,958
International television and film ministry 6,313,648
Decision magazine 2,602,945

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Program Expenses:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$99,837,093

Governance

Chief Executive Officer: Wm. Franklin Graham, III , President and Chief Executive Officer
Compensation*: $151,337

Highest Paid Executive: Billy Graham, Chairman
Compensation*: $451,707

Chair of the Board: Billy Graham

Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation: Founder, BGEA

Board Size: 20

Paid Staff Size: 734

*2004 compensation includes annual salary and, if applicable, benefit plans, expense accounts, and other allowances.

Fund Raising

Method(s) Used:

Fund raising costs were 5% of related contributions. (Related contributions, which totaled $91,273,927, are donations received as a result of fund raising activities.)
BGEA incurred joint costs of $51,793,478. Of those costs, $43,461,624 was allocated to program expenses, $6,507,084 was allocated to administrative expenses, and $1,824,770 was allocated to fund raising expenses.

Tax Status

BGEA is tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is eligible to receive contributions deductible as charitable donations for federal income tax purposes.

Financial

The following information is based on BGEA's combined (with affiliates) audited financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2004.

Source of Funds
Contributions 74,461,811
Proceeds from estates, annuities and trusts 16,812,116
Realized gains on sale of investments 8,338,352
Decision magazine and other evangelistic materials 6,267,366
Billy Graham Training Center 5,591,257
Investment income 3,666,688
Other income 1,417,553
Evangelistic films 833,056
Change in value of annuities and trusts 415,217
Unrealized investment gains 130,036
Net loss on sale of/disposal of fixed assets -1,045,765

Total Income
$116,887,687

Cool so, conclusion is: If you are pro-BushCo- you can get away with anything. Including the bogus evangelistic tripe the Billy spews out. Churches NOT pro-Bush get audited and may have their tax exempt status revoked. Freedom of speech is gone, now freedom of religion....nice going, America.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:35 pm
like I said above.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:51 pm
Can we take somebody out back and shoot 'em ?
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 11:10 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Didn't you see how much Billy Graham makes??!! Do you think he'd willingly give that up and pay taxes?

He knows which side his bread is buttered on. Besides he's Bushie's friend.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 11:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
Can we take somebody out back and shoot 'em ?

wassa matta? Cannot understand the post?

His vanity requires no response.
And makes a welcome of indifference.
TS Eliot
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 11:50 pm
You know I used to go to church alot when Clinto was president, and I'm not ashamed to say I did then and still do think clinton was a great president.

I got tired of preachers always bringing up (often through not all that subtle hints) that clinton was imoral or should be impeached. I even once got up and walked out when a preacher started preaching against the presidents tax and spending proposals. I don't go to church to hear or discuss politics, actually I go for the opposite reason actually.

Politics in church can only exclude people from participating and create division.

Of course I don't think that a preacher promoting PEACE is really that political. It actually conforms to most christian beliefs. An anti-war speech isn't necesarily anti-bush.

Is the 700 club tax exempt, cuase there is definately no way the should be since they actively politically campiagn and raise money for their political efforts.

overall I think there is a fine line here and that the gov't should only stick their nose in in extreme examples this not being one.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:16 am
xguymontagx wrote:
You know I used to go to church alot when Clinto was president, and I'm not ashamed to say I did then and still do think clinton was a great president.

I got tired of preachers always bringing up (often through not all that subtle hints) that clinton was imoral or should be impeached. I even once got up and walked out when a preacher started preaching against the presidents tax and spending proposals. I don't go to church to hear or discuss politics, actually I go for the opposite reason actually.

Politics in church can only exclude people from participating and create division.

Of course I don't think that a preacher promoting PEACE is really that political. It actually conforms to most christian beliefs. An anti-war speech isn't necesarily anti-bush.

Is the 700 club tax exempt, cuase there is definately no way the should be since they actively politically campiagn and raise money for their political efforts.

overall I think there is a fine line here and that the gov't should only stick their nose in in extreme examples this not being one.

I agree with you; peace should be preached, not killing/war. That is completely opposite from what Jesus taught. Obviously Pat Robertson & his "Christian" coalition cult -who make millions every year and are pro-war (advocated assassinating Chavez - how religious is that?) know how to tap into that good ole time religion. Jesus would be proud.

Here's from Christian Broadcast Network:
source: www.museum.tv./archives

CBN's third innovation was to provide 24 hour religious programming to the nation's growing network of cable stations. By 1980 the Continental Broadcasting Network, an alternative name for CBN Cable, provided a 24 hour satellite tv service reaching more than 5 million homes; cable operators were paid a few cents per month per viewer for providing a religious cable channel in their area. CBN Cable moved to become an advertiser-and-cable-system-funded family entertainment channel with limited religious programming. On 1 August 1988 CBN Cable changed its name to the Family Channel; two years later CBN sold the channel to International Family Entertainment to satisfy IRS requirements so that CBN would retain its tax exempt status.
CBN claim that the transaction provided them with more than $600 million in total benefits--everything from cash to airtime. IFE became a publicly held 150 million dollar company when traded on the New York Stock Exchange in 1992. Effectively a small UHF religious station has become a cable programming giant in thirty years.

Interesting side note:
Pat Robertson's father, Absalom Robertson was a Democrat, wealthy, and involved with the Illuminist. He was chairman of US Senate's powerful committee on Banking & Currency and later as a consultant to the World Bank.
0 Replies

Helmut Roole

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
xguymontagx wrote:
Yeah, they are.

I don't think all churches should be tax exempt, but they should be audited and regulated. They should cap the incomes of the churches' CEOs, require a percentage of income be plowed into under developed neighborhoods and countries. When a church as enough loot to build a stadium-size cathedral, that's when it's time to clamp down.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
Re: Church targeted by IRS for anti-war sermon
pachelbel wrote:
The terrorists you Americans fear so much are running your government.

This is news?
0 Replies