Amazing Race? Amazing!

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:34 am
Seems a big part of the order resulted in jeep break downs/flat tires and getting lost - the challenges seemed easy in comparsion.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 10:03 pm
Okay, I admit it. I gasped (just a little) when I saw the "Hanoi Hilton" as a pickup point for clues. Didn't gasp but was surprised to see it's set up as some kind of museum or memorial.

Sorry to see the father-daughter team go. What a strange and unfortunate set of circumstances. Ripped off by a native who promised to help them. The only team who couldn't find the coal brick place. C'est la vie.

The woman with the prosthetic leg and her friend remind me of an old song (Kingston Trio, I think)--The Cat Came Back. No matter what happens to that pair, they seem to manage to return to the fray. Wrong bus. Doesn't matter.

I'm developing a strong dislike for the beauty queens. I'm liking the coal miner and his wife more and more--and the Asian brothers, too. The rest I'm reserving judgment on.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 05:00 am
I like Godwin & Erwin (why do parents do that to their kids?) the Asian brothers best. But then, I always like the travellers who are respectful of where they are and get the most out the trip -- and who maintain cheerfulness and poise. Which is why I liked the hippies in the last race.

Surprisingly for me, I also like the coal people, although her voice grates. But they show a lot of depth and openness -- look at who they bonded with -- the gay couple ("I ain't never known no gay man b'fore" she whispered to the camera a show or two ago) and the black women.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
The brothers have also become a favorite of mine as well. They don't get into any scuffs with others, are very respectful while still being competitive. Even though it resulted in them living the prison last, they gave a moment of silence out of respect; I found that very touching and showed something about their character especially considering their age. At first I did not like the coal miner and wife, but they have started to grow on me. I also like the single moms, but don't expect them to last very long.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:34 pm
I have to admit, I am becoming a little frustrated with the staggered starting times, which give a theoretical advantage to the first placers, only to have all the folks bunch up at the very next destination. I really don't see the advantage in getting to leave at 6:30 am if the place you arrive at doesn't open until 9! So you hang around and watch everyone else arrive, including the folks who left an hour behind you...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 12:17 am
Blacksmithn, I've been wondering about the "great equalizers" since the show first aired--plane, train, bus, and boat schedules, opening times, etc. Aside from winning a prize for arriving first, it seems to me that the major priority is not arriving last--until the last leg of the race, of course.
Can't think of a situation in which all that mad rushing paid off long term.

BTW, loved it when the coal miner opted for the coal task--"I'm a coal miner." And then later, "This isn't coal."

Very interesting to see who's bonding with whom. The coal miner's wife waited with the gay couple. Amazing.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 02:58 am
Sorry to see the gay guys go. Is it my imagination or are the physical challenges more challenging this year than they have been in the past? Climbing and rowing and more climbing.

I'm liking the coal miner and his wife a lot. I'm disliking the woman with prosthetic leg less and liking her companion less. Is his purpose to challenge her in everything. Will he ever do anything?

The guy who had the hissy fit in the back of the car makes me nervous. Is he going to survive this whole thing?

Loved the idea of the clues being audible. Tres confusing and challenging.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:34 am
Well, I'll miss the gays. They were tres entertaining. Like the gimp a lot now, she's got plenty of guts and smarts, but REALLY hate her companion. What a LOAD! Speaking of loads, the Barbie twins are starting to grate a lot too. The dating couple is just weird. I thought the guy was going to go completely nuts a couple times.

Frankly, though, I'm rooting for either the coal miners or the single moms at this point. And hoping the male models lose.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:15 pm
I have now developed outright distaste, dislike, and disdain for Peter. Sarah, his companion with the leg (or should I say without the leg), got it right when he said they were supposed to have fun and she said she wasn't having any fun with him. Yuck.

I don't know what possessed the male models to do the sand painting rather than deal with the crocodile. I understood why the coal miner and wife made that decision. As she succinctly stated, "I ain't wrestling no crocodile."

Interesting twist. Those coming in last in nonelimination situations will receive a time penalty on the next leg of the race if they don't come in first. I think this might have more overall impact than the previous approach--no money, no belongings. That never seemed to slow people down much.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 10:39 am
I can not stand Peter! My goodness what a wimp! If he says come on Sara one more time I will belt him good myself (if she doesn't). She's coming as fast as she can for the love of Pete! She better dump his ugly butt when this is over. He makes her do all the physical challenges - does that make sense, then cries and whines that he can't do it.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:12 am
I'm afraid that Kentucky won't make the cut next time. I just don't see them coming in first and a half hour delay could well result in their elimination.

Peter's a jerk. He and the Barbie twins should be fed to the crocs. But what was up with Erwin and Godwin telling them about the others flight plans? I didn't care for that at all.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:41 pm
Blacksmithn, Yes, Erwin and Godwin were deceptive about the cell phone too. They used a fake cell phone to pretend they were making reservations. Ridiculous. Then Peter borrows a real cell phone to make real reservations.

There appears to be some very strong animosity among these groups.

Linkat, too bad Sarah can't dump Peter midrace. Yuck.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:51 pm
I actually thought the fake cell phone was kind of funny-- until Peter got a real one!

Yeah, it's too bad Peter can't get dumped mid-race. Think they'll still be together after the show? My money is on "no."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:52 pm
If the race ended now, I'd say no. But it's hard to say how these things play out. And if they win, I'm guessing that all will be forgiven.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 02:57 pm
I think if she takes him back - she deserves him - what a putz.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:13 pm
I'm with you, Linkat. But women have been known to do stranger things. So have men, but I've seen more women do strange things than the other way around.

She seems like a strong woman. I hope she dumps him.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:11 pm
Seems like Sarah is a wise and perceptive woman. She saw Peter for the putz he is. He seemed a bit surprised when she said he lacked warmth. I'm sorry she's gone, but not sorry to see Peter go.

Lucky for David and Mary that there was a fast forward in this leg of the race. I was stunned at the generosity of Edwin and Godwin, helping David and Mary get the fast forward. I truly like these guys. I hope that their generosity and "unusual" behavior (like paying attention to where they are) won't ultimately cost them first place.

What will they think of next? Robots riding and whipping camels.

Were my ears deceiving me, or did one woman (don't remember her name) say they she didn't know what a mosque was? She called it a mask at one point and a church at another. And there's the guy who seems to get easily unhinged. He makes me nervous.

Overall an interesting group. Heroes and villains--and a few mishuginas.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:42 am
She did call it a mask, indeed. And later her partner called her a dummy.

I REALLY like the Cho boys. What a mensch thing to do for Kentucky! I wish Kentucky, Alabama and the Chos could all win.

Not sad to see Peter go. What a 4 star prick! And glad to hear Sara saw it too. Next, the Barbies or the male models, please!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:13 am
I agree. Love the Chos, glad that Peter the Putz is gone (quite a surprise as they were in first place to start). I don't think I've ever seen this level of co-operation among the teams. It probably won't, it can't, last until the end but it's heartwarming to see.

And Kentucky won a trip to Jamaica, along with their first place on this leg. Not too shabby for a couple who had never been outside of Kentucky before this. You can almost see them growing. And all because, despite stereotypes, they are open and kind-hearted people (who were lucky enough to connect to the Cho brothers).

Now, I'll be watching for payback. Kentucky has been on the receiving end of a lot of help. We don't see 90% of the footage, I'm guessing, so we don't know what they've done to inspire this help -- but now I'd like to see some reciprocity.

Yeah, not only did whats-her-name from the whozit team (up until now they've been nonentities) call it a mask, but later she called it a church.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:23 am
At least she didn't call it a synagogue! Laughing
0 Replies