Let’s Play Doctor!

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:32 pm
This past weekend we had over our house several of my daughter's friends - boys and girls. These kids' ages range 7 - 9. For a couple of hours they were playing outside, but the last hour before their parents came to get them, they came inside to play. So, I am working on my computer when I hear, "Let's Play Doctor" from one of the boys. I do get a little worried and am a bit surprised my husband isn't about to break his leg (knowing my husband). The two boys insisted on being the doctors, while one girl was a nurse and my daughter and another was a patient.

Even though they were playing in an area where mom and dad could watch them, I still felt uneasy. They didn't do anything weird just normal stuff with the doctor things, but now I want to pack up the emergency cart and all doctor supplies. I am forcing myself to relax about this and not toss the stuff. Am I paranoid or overprotective? When do these kids start thinking beyond one type of play doctor and the next?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:30 pm
The hardest part, to me, is the implied "...and if they do want to play doctor behind closed doors, do I stop them?"

I haven't quite figured out what I'd do, there. I think kids need unsupervised play, and need to do stuff that parents might not like so much but that is not actually harmful and may be beneficial. I did all kinds of things that my parents didn't know about and wouldn't have approved of that I'm awfully glad, on the balance, I got the chance to do.
0 Replies

Three P

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:36 pm
Thinking back, I was about that age when I first played the sort of doctors and nurses that I think you have in mind. Parents then were not so clued up I think. It was all part of life's learning curve I suppose.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
Re: Let’s Play Doctor!
Linkat wrote:
This past weekend we had over our house several of my daughter’s friends – boys and girls. These kids’ ages range 7 – 9. For a couple of hours they were playing outside, but the last hour before their parents came to get them, they came inside to play. So, I am working on my computer when I hear, “Let’s Play Doctor” from one of the boys. I do get a little worried and am a bit surprised my husband isn’t about to break his leg (knowing my husband). The two boys insisted on being the doctors, while one girl was a nurse and my daughter and another was a patient.

Even though they were playing in an area where mom and dad could watch them, I still felt uneasy. They didn’t do anything weird just normal stuff with the doctor things, but now I want to pack up the emergency cart and all doctor supplies. I am forcing myself to relax about this and not toss the stuff. Am I paranoid or overprotective? When do these kids start thinking beyond one type of play doctor and the next?

I would be surprised if your kids hadn't already played the next kind of doctor!

I wouldn't ditch anything, but just keep a bit of an ear and eye out for silence/disappearance/closed doors if the kids decide to play it again.

Playing "the next doctor"....unless there are real age/power differentials, coercion, obsessiveness or angry/negative emotions accompanying it....is quite normal.

It just needs normal limits set on it.

I doubt ditching doctor equipment would stop that kind of exploration if the kids are gonna do it, and it would deprive your kids of lots of fun.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:19 pm
You should get worried when one of the children says "Let's play OB-GYN!"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:28 am
sozobe wrote:
The hardest part, to me, is the implied "...and if they do want to play doctor behind closed doors, do I stop them?"

I haven't quite figured out what I'd do, there. I think kids need unsupervised play, and need to do stuff that parents might not like so much but that is not actually harmful and may be beneficial. I did all kinds of things that my parents didn't know about and wouldn't have approved of that I'm awfully glad, on the balance, I got the chance to do.

I agree - but when it is your child....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
Oh - I wouldn't really ditch the doctor stuff - but when I heard that question my mouth just dropped. They were playing in an open area and I just walked out and by them so they didn't get the impression I was checking on them. It really looked innocent, but it is my little girl.
0 Replies