Is Living Well is the Best Revenge?

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:27 am
In about a week I will be attending a conference out of state. As a result I have been sent many emails inviting me to various functions from different clients during this conference. Interesting I was invited to a couple of events by my former employer.

Anyone who had read my prior work place trauma a little over a year ago will appreciate the irony. To make it short for others - I was pretty much stabbed in the back and caught by surprise in my annual review - resulting in me not getting a raise or bonus. All indications previously from my boss was the opposite - in his words I was "qualified for a promotion", while a month later my review rated me as performing below expectations. I had proof otherwise, however, decided to leave and now work for more money, better benefits and significantly less hours. Blessing in disguise as you say.

Now I am invited to this reception/dinner as my current company uses my former company for some aspects of work. Now I am the client and my former company needs to kiss up to me! Fortunately the person doing the invite, I do know and like so I have accepted - in part to watch my former bosses squirm. Good chance also, I will run into my former client and will probably have a word or two. I am definitely in a position to screw them over by saying choice things to my former client, however, I think I will just play nice and simply watch them squirm, letting them wonder what we are discussing. Anyone have other thoughts on how I can make this as uncomfortable as possible for my former boss, etc. while still maintaining my dignity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 14
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:56 am
Living well is truly the best revenge. Don't give in to the pettiness of screwing them over, no matter how delicious the temptation. Be above that. Just make sure that you look absolutely fabulous at the reception, from head to toe, makeup, hair, outfits, jewelry, and be as gracious as can be. Kill them with kindness.

If you really want to make things uncomfortable for your former boss, simply do not speak to him/her. Speak to everyone around them but never address them directly, ignoring them COMPLETELY. I did that to my ex-fiance at our tenth high school reunion and heard from his tablemates that he got so flustered by it all, how great I looked and my total dismissal of him, that all he could do all evening was focus on and talk about me, making a fool of himself while his poor pregnant wife sat there angry and humiliated.

A moment of triumph considering that he was the one who dumped me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:12 am
eoe wrote:
Living well is truly the best revenge. Don't give in to the pettiness of screwing them over, no matter how delicious the temptation. Be above that. Just make sure that you look absolutely fabulous at the reception, from head to toe, makeup, hair, outfits, jewelry, and be as gracious as can be. Kill them with kindness.

If you really want to make things uncomfortable for your former boss, simply do not speak to him/her. Speak to everyone around them but never address them directly, ignoring them COMPLETELY. I did that to my ex-fiance at our tenth high school reunion and heard from his tablemates that he got so flustered by it all, how great I looked and my total dismissal of him, that all he could do all evening was focus on and talk about me, making a fool of himself while his poor pregnant wife sat there angry and humiliated.

Nice!
A moment of triumph considering that he was the one who dumped me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:15 am
Question
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:29 am
Sorry - I messed up with the quote stuff.

Meant to simply say .... "Nice!"
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:39 am
eoe ...

<clapping!>

well done.

In the old days, they called that "the cut direct."

My suggestion is with eoe.

If you say anything derogatory, it will only make YOU look bad.

Absolutely better to say nothing at all and give them the cut direct.

It speak volumes, LOUDLY!

Have a great time! You deserve it.

Reminds me of that movie ... Baby something.

the gal who left a high stakes, high pressure, back-stabbing food manufacturing company in New York and moved to the country and started her own line of baby food ... and then they wanted to buy her out ... and so then she held all the cards ...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:25 am
Also, never badmouth a former client to a present client. You'll come off as tacky and unprofessional and they will be leery of you doing the same to them in the future.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
I would never say anything bad - I have worked in the industry way too long not to know this. However, it is just nice to know you have the power to if you so desired - that is simply enough for me.

When I left my former company - I had a sort of good bye discussion with the director of HR. We had met previously because of all the crap that I went through and even though he wasn't a great help to me - at least he was direct and let me know how his cards played out (ie he works for the company so he needs to support them). I also helped him out with several things so I knew him pretty well. His parting words were that even in the worst situation I had always help my self in the most classy and professional manner. And I intend to - I just have too much to offer to do anything less. However, it will be nice to simply see them squirm and see them have to be nice to me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
Any chance you can get the former client in on the fun? They could leverage it for price discounts....
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:32 pm
You should say something to your former employer like "you guys totally suck". On second thought, don't listen to me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:45 pm
Linkat wrote:
However, it is just nice to know you have the power to if you so desired - that is simply enough for me.

However, it will be nice to simply see them squirm and see them have to be nice to me.

What would be reeeeeally great is if you had someone else involved in this glorious and rare moment who could share with you the view that you'll be too occupied to see.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:28 pm
It would be, but I will be there with my current boss (not sure if he is going to this event) and some other individuals, but I do not know them in such a way to share this tidbit with them.

You never know though as I do know many people in the industry - depends on who is going from other companies that are "friends" of mine. So far - none of my closer friends are going - more former co-workers.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:53 pm
I wouldn't do anything other than be gracious. You never know who you are stomping on who can be of benefit to you in the future.

Many years ago, I had a situation where our division was sold and my old boss stayed with the parent company. I went with the new owners because they, apparently, wanted me on their staff. It turned out that there was a conflict over a considerable amount of stock and the new boss asked me to deal with my old boss who was the director of sales at the time. This was actually out of my area.

I met with the old boss and diplomatically told him that we would not be responsible for the product and would not be held accountable for the costs. He became belligerent and I did have the pleasure of asking him to leave my office and the premises.

This was something that was not planned, but just came up. I would suggest that you do not spend too much time thinking about what you may or may not do. Let things fall where they may.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:24 pm
Intrepid - don't worry - I have enough experience in my industry to realize if I actually did or said anything unacceptable it could come back to haunt me. And to be honest, I am too happy where I currently work, to really worry or think about my past employer. I am simply amused how quickly the tides have changed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:55 pm
As you should be. Personally, I'm loving this for you because I know how good it feels.

When I resigned from the position of art director for a prominent retailer, I was told in a less than friendly manner not to expect any freelance work from them. Well, threats are one thing but I had weighed things out and knew, considering the amount of advertising done daily vs. the number of art directors left on staff, that they would be forced to come to me to fill the hole that I was leaving, it would be senseless and way too costly for them not to, but with shoulders back, I assured my soon-to-be-ex-supervisor as cool as you please that I didn't expect a thing from him.

A month later the phone call came asking if I was available for freelance work. I was gracious, didn't rub their faces in it at all but boy oh boy did it feel GOOD. It's a very rare thing to find yourself indespensible.
0 Replies