Nursing Homes - Personal Needs Allowance et.al.

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:25 am
Due to my personal situation (actually: my mother's and my aunt's), I'm very interested to compare senior citizen's life here to that in other countries.
(Besides: I've some knowledge about that due to my professional background and poltical activities in related committees.)

After reading a report in today's Chicago Tribune - Making do on just $50 a month - some questions arose.

Quote:
As a nursing home resident, Stevens receives a $50 monthly Personal Needs Allowance, or PNA, from Medicaid to cover expenses not provided at the home. She spends it on stamps, stationery and food for an occasional dinner in her room when she wants a little privacy or doesn't like what's being served in the dining room.

Is $50/month really considered by most (politicans) to be enough?

Or even $30?

Quote:

Here, you get $113 (89 EUROs). When you have been in a nursing before January 1, 2005, you get additonal $57 (45 EUROs) due to a previous law.

Generally, this sum is considered by nursing homes, charities and especially the people actually living there is too low. But politics says, it's enough.

This sum covers about the same as it does in the USA. However, this passage raised my eyebrows:

Quote:

Is fruit not thought to be part of the daily meal(s)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,442 • Replies: 0
No top replies