Shouldn't the $$$ for this be going elsewhere?

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:46 am
Call me crazy, but shouldn't the money for this project be going directly to the homeless?

http://boston.com/dailynews/152/technology/Habitat_for_Humanity_to_open_s:.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,376 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:54 am
Looks like a serious PR misstep to me, Boss, apart from being a shameless diversion of funds . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 06:58 am
too friggin' weird for me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:02 am
I'm willing to bet that the people most likely to visit are those most likely to already understand the problem.

Interestingly, the article didn't mention how much had been spent to develop the land - perhaps the cost was insignifigant when compared to the contributions and PR that the "park" is likely to generate.

I believe there is information available about how much of each dollar a charity takes in spends on overhead and I think that Habitat has a pretty good track record. Maybe someone who joins the thread will have a link or some facts in support (or not) of this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:04 am
It should be easy enough to go get that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:06 am
Habitat for Humanity[/color]
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:07 am
It does seem kinda silly on the face of it but.. What if it actually brings in more money than it costs??? I dunno.. We live in a weird world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:07 am
That's one of 122,000 hits--but it's the official one . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:19 am
My daughter-in-law works for Habitat, first in Georgia and now in New England. As for all other charitable organizations, Fund Raising and Consciousness Raising are entertwined.

An unfortunate number of Good Americans believe that we should keep our charitable donations at home rather than having Habitat be an International Organization--after all, those savages all live in warm countries and don't need housing.

Further, a number of good and sincere people detour on their way to Florida Family Fun to visit the International Headquarters of an organization they have grown to trust--and there is nothing to see.

Americus is in a "poor" part of the state. The Habitat Theme Park should attract visitors and money to the area as well as publicizing Habitat's work.

I was a little startled when I saw the story, but after a cup of tea, the theme park makes good sense.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:27 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with that 'museum' unless you count the money that goes into building and maintaining it. It could be good advertisement.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:51 am
I think that it is a good idea in terms helping people to learn and understand about the difference decent housing makes to people. I think that it is a fine way to get the message across!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:45 am
There was no mention of this, but will there be an admission fee to enter the park. If so and it pays for the building and maintenance I see no harm I also see very little value. However, if it does not I see it as a waste of money which could be far better spent.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:28 am
I'm just wondering who would go to this sort of park? Imagine corprate team-building events there: "Oh, what fun to pretend we're poor...." It may end up raising revenue, but it all seems a little distasteful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:50 am
I've been thinking about the Habitat Poverty Park in terms of "family entertainment".

At this point in time "family entertainment" usually means spending money to have fun without the risk of encountering adult themes or unpleasant impressions. "Family entertainment" often does not involve any sort of education, any sort of enlarging of a child's world.

The Poverty Park is designed to educate both children and adults. I may be overly optimistic, but come Back To School in September when traditional teachers assign themes on the topic "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" that a shabby thatched hut with a dirt floor might have more impact for the run-of-the-mill middle class child than another roller coaster or a succession of trips-to-the-mall.

A young tourist just might feel, "I saw something important."
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:18 pm
What a strange but memorable concept -- really good marketting.

As a kid I remember my physical, experiential lessons the most vividly. Hands on. No theoretical BS, but actually seeing something real. The TV generation especially needs stuff like this, so it seems like an excellent visual aid for educational programs.

Cost? How much does it cost to build a slum? Isn't it called a slum specifically because it doesn't cost very much?

20,000 visitors per year without advertising or promotion or even tourist facilities -- Obviously people are interested to drop by and learn stuff. They tend to be people who are already somewhat aware and concerned, and would like to know more. Just like a nature exhibit at the forest ranger's station, only more ... cultural.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
CodeBorg
Quote:
Cost? How much does it cost to build a slum? Isn't it called a slum specifically because it doesn't cost very much?

About the same cost as it is to build anything else. Slums normally occur as a result of decay. This one will be built new and by design.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 05:10 pm
When I was younger, my family drove across country to visit Yellowstone Park for the first time. We detoured over to an area in Montana where strip mining was occuring and drove through the company town there. I don't remember the name of the town but the impact of seeing what was done to the environment and the living conditions of the workers has never left me. I can still visualize it when I think about it.

I believe places like this museum for Habitat for Humanity will serve an educational purpose just like that drive through the company town did for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:25 pm
http://www.habitat.org/gvdc/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 08:50 pm
A amusement/educational park to 1. ?, 2. ? 3. ?, and 4. ? I can't comment on this until there is some experience with it. I'm sure they did their homework before venturing into this idea. I contribute to Habitat for Humanities, because they benefit so many in this world to provide housing without regard to culture, race, or creed. I love their concept; people must provide labour, and pay for their homes. How many nonprofit organizations benefit so many for so few dollars? c.i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
They are a pretty terrific organization, not only for what they do for their beneficiaries, but also for their contributors and volunteers. Many corporations use Habitat for Humanity activities as team building exercises for their corporate staffs. You'd be amazed at how much a change in viewpoint can significantly improve a stagnant management group.
0 Replies