The Nazi Spoon

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:48 am
@Roberta,
Is it still spooning chocolate pudding?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:54 am
interesting thread, it was started before i joined the site, glad it was resurrected, it's a good read
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:57 am
@Roberta,
Maybe you should make some pudding today.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:27 pm
Chocolate pudding is still one of my comfort foods, but I don't make it. I buy it already made.

The spoon was missing for a long time. I had no idea where it was. When I found it (a few months ago), I smiled--a sign to me that I would hang onto it. But I don't use it. I just have it.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:50 pm
@Roberta,
I wonder how someone stumbled onto this thread. What combination of words was he or she looking for when handed this search result from Google?

Roberta? You still consider donating the piece?

How about donating it to either the Jewish Museum or the Museum of Tolerance?
http://www.thejewishmuseum.org/Directions
http://www.museumoftolerancenewyork.com/site/c.lkIYLdMMJpE/b.5468087/k.C946/About_Us.htm

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
i wondered about that myself
Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:06 pm
@djjd62,
I also wondered how someone could have found this thread. Hadn't thought about it for years.

I may eventually get around to donating it somewhere. For now, I'm keeping it in the kitchen drawer. And it's the chocolate pudding spoon. When I think of it that way, it still makes me smile.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:07 pm
@Roberta,
mmmmmm, pudding....
chai2

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:11 pm
roberta can buy some pudding, and eat it with the Nazi Spoon.

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

mmmmmm, pudding....

Egg-zactly
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 04:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

roberta can buy some pudding, and eat it with the Nazi Spoon.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion. Very Happy
0 Replies

junquehunt

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:18 pm
@Roberta,
Hi Roberta: I arrived at this site by accident, by simply reasearching a spoon I found with a swastika on it, my reasearch has revealed that my spoon was probably made by the American, Navajo's, for the tourist trade in the early part of the 1900's in the US southwest: see the following http://spoonplanet.comindiansw.html. The swastika, to the Navajo's, and many other world civilizations is a symbol of peace and has been for over a thousand years, I don't know what happened in Germany! Anyway I would like to pass on somenthing my father gave me many years ago, he served during WWII, in Italy, Africa, France, and afterward during the occupation of Germany, as a kid, I would ask him from time to time about the war and the Germans, I think he went to war with the opinion that all Germans must be Nazis, and horrible, but afterward felt quite differently about them, he was involved in alot of combat and at times during truces ,he and the other troops would feel comfortable going out to the lines to trade rations and cigeretts with them, and always felt they were always an honorable people (even in war), never violated the truces and yes fought very hard against us Americans, he also realized from his experence during the occupiation of Berlin, and through his own reasearch after the war that the Nazis were the political end of the military, and did not represent the Germans as a whole, in fact the Nazis represented a small minority who were unfourtinatly in control of Germany, and in control of all the branches of the military(much like the US today, just a different name for it), my father looked upon the Germans, later as a people who felt it an honor and an obligation to do their duty to serve and protect their country, I just hope now that you have a different view of things, and I hope you keep your spoon and continue to smile over the memories it conjers of your past with your family , and not the horrors commited by a small monority. Sincerely HW
mesquite

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:51 pm
@junquehunt,
The link was missing a slash. Try this.
http://spoonplanet.com/indiansw.html
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:15 am
@junquehunt,
junquehunt, The spoon I have contains the following symbol. Please follow the link. I'd prefer not to post it here.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/26197_f260.jpg

Absolutely positively not Navaho.

There is nothing you can say that will change my feelings about the nazis and the Germans who participated in the Holocaust, whether they were nazis or not. However, I have no bad feelings at all toward Germans now.

My father was also in WW II. He wasn't as open-minded as your father. At least I don't think he was. It was hard to get him to talk to me about the war.

I really don't have a different view of things, but the spoon is my chocolate pudding spoon. I can still see my mother stirring the pot with it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:20 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

And it's the chocolate pudding spoon. When I think of it that way, it still makes me smile.

Aww, IMO that's the best reason for keeping it.
Memories of more innocent times.

It's interesting that your mother, who was conscious of the iniquity that the symbols on that spoon represented, seems to not have had any hang-ups about it. What's her take on the spoon?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:33 am
I would also say keep it and let the next generation worry about what to do with it. I love the fact that your family took something of evil and turned it into something good, even if it only stays that way as long as you are around to look at it. More pudding, less evil.

(PS- Roberta, As you may know from being on this site so long, I have a direct history with Holocaust survivors)
djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
@Green Witch,
you just made the sig line thread
Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:52 am
@djjd62,
It's really just common sense but thanks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:12 pm
What I love about A2K. Threads like The Nazi Spoon.
Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:31 pm
InfraBlue, My mother is long gone. When I was a kid, I didn't know about swastikas. When I got older, I asked about the spoon. "It's a war souvenir." She was very casual about it. She'd probably be rolling her eyes that I'm making such a big deal about it.

No, Green Witch, I didn't know that history of yours. It's the symbols on the spoon that represent evil to me. But when you're stirring chocolate pudding, you can't see the symbols.

Glad you feel that way, Panzade.
0 Replies