The great politician trust charts - you get to rank them!

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:31 pm
  1. Blair
  2. McCain
  3. Bush
  4. Obama
  5. Mandela
  6. Hillary Clinton
  7. Kerry
  8. Merkel
  9. Kofi Annan
  10. Chirac
  11. Havel
  12. Putin
  13. Berlusconi
  14. Lula
  15. al-Sistani
  16. Zapatero
  17. Hu Jintao
  18. Turkmenbashi
  19. Gadaffi
  20. Chavez
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
No worries, Osso ;-)

Thanks for your list, Tico!
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm
Again, this is a meaningless list. I do not think that anyone on this thread is sufficiently familiar with the backgrounds of all of the people listed to make an intelligent judgment. The least trustworthy person on the list is, of course, George W. Bush, and mainly because he is in the most powerful position and his actions can hurt the people of the rest of the world the most. Mandel? Havel? Zapatero? Ridiculous. Who would be the people in a list of Billionaires who would be the most important and the most able to do damage if they wished? Why the richest! Such as Gates, Buffett and Ellison. Certainly, not Oprah Winfrey and Georgio Armani who have around a billion dollars when compared to 40 billion, 30 billion or 15 billion. Focus on the real problems- Bush and Blair. The rest are meaningless.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:03 pm
I am afraid that Mrs./Mr MarionT's information about international politics isn't as good as that of some other members.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:07 pm
Why? Did I leave out Adolf Hitler?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 01:28 am
MarionT wrote:
Again, this is a meaningless list. I do not think that anyone on this thread is sufficiently familiar with the backgrounds of all of the people listed to make an intelligent judgment. The least trustworthy person on the list is, of course, George W. Bush, and mainly because he is in the most powerful position and his actions can hurt the people of the rest of the world the most. Mandel? Havel? Zapatero? Ridiculous. Who would be the people in a list of Billionaires who would be the most important and the most able to do damage if they wished? Why the richest! Such as Gates, Buffett and Ellison. Certainly, not Oprah Winfrey and Georgio Armani who have around a billion dollars when compared to 40 billion, 30 billion or 15 billion. Focus on the real problems- Bush and Blair. The rest are meaningless.

This is a meaningless list? No one on this thread is sufficiently familiar with the backgrounds of all the people listed to make an intelligent judgment (<- this word lacks a vowel, btw.). Except for you of course, when, in the very next sentence, you state : The least trustworthy person on the list is, of course, George W. Bush, Well, when you claim mr. Bush is the least trustworthy, you also claim you know enough about the other leaders on the list to assume they are more trustworthy then Bush.
So I guess what you mean to say is that you are smart and we are not, huh?

Oh, and one other thing: Being the leader of a country usually brings with it the ability to command it's army. Or have you forgotten that? I'd say a billionaire such as Gates has little defense against say the Spanish army(Zapatero).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:19 am
Anyone else got a list? I might even make one of those fancy graphs, if Marion bores me enough..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:53 am
Interesting differences between the 9 US participants and the 7 non-US participants.

Vaclav Havel, for example, is ranked second on average by non-Americans. Americans only rank him seventh. I cant place an explanation for that. Is he simply less well known there? Not quite the Mandela of Europe that he is considered widely here?

Another huge difference is on Zapatero; an average 6th on the list of non-Americans; 13th on the list of Americans. Thats easier to explain I think; low rankings by Asherman, McG and Tico probably have a lot to do with Zapatero's decision to withdraw his country's participation in Iraq pretty much the day after he was elected. (Edgar also has him very low but that might just be confusion, like with Osso.)

No surprise that Bush does (even) worse among non-Americans (14th) than under Americans (11th).

The two other differences of note are not surprising either: al-Sistani does worse among Americans (11th) than under non-Americans (7th); Turkmenbashi, doubtlessly slightly less unfamiliar in Europe than in the US, does worse among non-Americans (19th) than among Americans (16th).
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:13 am
Oh, btw, after reading up on Wikipedia about Obama (is this trustworthy info btw.?) I'd prolly place him third... And turkmenbashi... still not sure... I think he firmly believes he is the most brilliant individual in the world, and every decision he makes supports that. So, if we take this standpoint, wouldn't he rank very high? (He seems a random force of destruction in his own parliament, but that can also probably be explained by the fact that he feels he is far better then all there combined, and that they are only there as a weak gesture towards democracy....)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:17 am
najmelliw wrote:
MarionT wrote:
Again, this is a meaningless list. I do not think that anyone on this thread is sufficiently familiar with the backgrounds of all of the people listed to make an intelligent judgment. ...

... judgment (<- this word lacks a vowel, btw.).

That word is spelled correctly.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:24 am
You are absolutely correct, Tico.

However, it is misspelled so often as "judgement" that we probably can't blame those to whom English is a second language for thinking the incorrect spelling is the correct one. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:49 am
Ticomaya wrote:
That word is spelled correctly.

Might be, because - at least the somewhta older - Europeans have learnt English and not AE, we prefer judgement.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:52 am
However, it is misspelled so often as "judgement" that we probably can't blame those to whom English is a second language for thinking the incorrect spelling is the correct one. Laughing[/quote]

http://i9.tinypic.com/404nltu.jpg

Quote:
Main Entry: judg·ment Pronunciation Guide
Variant(s): or judge·ment \jjmnt\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: Middle English juggement, from Old French jugement, from jugier to judge + -ment -- more at JUDGE

... ... ...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:31 am
Walter-what is the source of that first list? The one written in German. Is that a German message board talking about a legal judgment?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
Online dictionary :wink:
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
I see. That is an online English-German dictionary. The BE nest to the English word means British English, the AE next to the English word means American English.

However, when I said that judgment was frequently misspelled as "judgement", in most of the cases the "judgement" form was being used by Americans. I'm perfectly willing to let the English, and for that matter the Canadians, have their own spelling.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:29 pm
My bad then, and my apologies to Marion for incorrectly stating judgment should be written as judgement... But I have to add that my english teacher taught me that judgement was the correct way to write it, and it is sort of 'rusted' into my vocabulary.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:34 pm
najmelliw wrote:
But I have to add that my english teacher taught me that judgement was the correct way to write it, and it is sort of 'rusted' into my vocabulary.

Well, there are several words, I'll never use the American way of spelling ... for the very same reason :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
But I have to add that my english teacher taught me that judgement was the correct way to write it, and it is sort of 'rusted' into my vocabulary.

Well, there are several words, I'll never use the American way of spelling ... for the very same reason :wink:

Eurocentric megalomaniac.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:39 pm
Thanks, tico, suits me well.

signed

Walter Hinteler, E.M. (Tico. hons.)

:wink:
0 Replies