ALERT! E. Coli Cases Traced to Bagged Spinach; DON'T EAT

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:56 am
E. Coli Cases Traced to Bagged Spinach
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 15, 2006
Filed at 8:42 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Consumers nationwide should not eat fresh bagged spinach, say health officials probing a multistate outbreak of E. coli that killed at least one person and made dozens of others sick.

Food and Drug Administration and state officials don't know the cause of the outbreak, although raw, packaged spinach appears likely. ''We're advising people not to eat it,'' said Dr. David Acheson of the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

Eight states were reporting a total of 50 cases of E. coli, Acheson said Thursday.

The death occurred in Wisconsin, where 20 people were reported ill, 11 of them in Milwaukee. The outbreak has sickened others -- eight of them seriously -- in Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah. In California, state health officials said they were investigating a possible case there.

The outbreak has affected a mix of ages, but most of the cases have involved women, Acheson said. Further information on the person who died wasn't available.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Wisconsin health officials alerted the FDA about the outbreak at midweek. Preliminary analysis suggested the same bug is responsible for the outbreak in all eight states.

The warning applied to consumers nationwide because of uncertainty over the origin of the tainted spinach and how widely it was distributed. Health officials did not know of any link to a specific growing region, grower, brand or supplier, Acheson said.

Amy Philpott, a spokeswoman for the United Fresh Produce Association, said that it's possible the cause of the outbreak won't be known for some time, even after its source is determined.

''Our industry is very concerned,'' she said. ''We're taking this very seriously.''

Reports of infections have been growing by the day, Acheson said. ''We may be at the peak, we may not be,'' he said.''

E. coli causes diarrhea, often with bloody stools. Most healthy adults can recover completely within a week, although some people -- including the very young and old -- can develop a form of kidney failure that often leads to death.

Anyone who has gotten sick after eating raw packaged spinach should contact a doctor, officials said.

Other bagged vegetables, including prepackaged salads, apparently are not affected. In general, however, washing all bagged vegetables is recommended. Thorough cooking kills the bacterium.

''We're telling people if they have bagged produce and they feel like it's a risk, throw it out,'' Michigan Department of Community Health spokesman T.J. Bucholz said. ''If they feel like they have to eat it, wash it first in warm water.''

E. coli lives in the intestines of cattle and other animals and typically is linked to contamination by fecal material. It causes an estimated 73,000 cases of infection, including 61 deaths, each year in the United States, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Sources of the bacterium include uncooked produce, raw milk, unpasteurized juice, contaminated water and meat, especially undercooked or raw hamburger, the agency says on its Web site.

In December 2005, an E. coli outbreak sickened at least eight children in Washington state. Officials traced the outbreak to unpasteurized milk from a dairy that had been ordered to stop distributing raw milk.

Last October, the FDA warned people not to eat certain Dole prepackaged salads that were connected to an outbreak of E. coli infections in Minnesota. At least 11 people were sickened.

In 1993, a major E. coli outbreak sickened about 700 people and killed four who ate undercooked Jack in the Box hamburgers in Washington state. That outbreak led to tighter Agriculture Department safety standards for meat and poultry producers.
---------------------------------------------------

On the Net:

CDC E. coli information: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/escherichiacoli--g.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 937 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
BBB wrote:
DON'T EAT

Er....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
DrewDad wrote:
BBB wrote:
DON'T EAT

Er....

That's what happens when title spaces are so small.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:34 am
I wish these type of announcements would mention the type of Escherichia coli. E. coli is part of our own normal intestinal flora. O157:H7, a pathogenic E. coli, isn't.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/e.coli.html
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:53 am
Do you really think most Americans would know the difference between e. coli strains? Half of them still think Iraq had something to do with 9/11!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
On my earlier thread here in "Medical News & Health" , I've at least included a graphic where it occures :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:01 am
Well, we have "outbreaks" of e. coli every time we defecate. They could at least say "pathogenic e. coli".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
ossobuco wrote:
Well, we have "outbreaks" of e. coli every time we defecate. They could at least say "pathogenic e. coli".

My posted article (from the Chicago Tribune) was published at about 00:30 local time.

Nothing has changed since that time :wink:

http://i10.tinypic.com/4ha9ci9.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:19 am
Whew! No E. Coli in Texas.... Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:28 am
Yes, Walter, so? That's a pathogenice e.coli.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
I don't doubt that. I just wanted to say that the report wasn't changed between when I posted it first here on A2K [and that's the reason I added some more infos] and some hours later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:09 am
Sorry, I misunderstood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 04:53 pm
from the discussion by the docs/interns/chemists at the food site I frequent

Quote:
But remember that cooking won't be 100% effective. It does kill the bacteria, yes, but one of the problems with pathogenic bacteria (like E. Coli, salmonella, shigella, etc.), is that they often produce a heat-stable enterotoxin. The bacteria get killed off, but the protein that causes all the nasty symptoms is not affected by heat. I would just avoid bagged spinach for awhile Smile

and

Quote:
The specific serotype (O157:H7) listed in the FDA notice classifies this particular strain of E. coli as a enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) which does produce an enterotoxin that is almost identical to a shiga toxin. However, it does not produce the ST toxins which are heat stable. Which is why we are told to properly cook our hamburger since E. coli O157 is common to undercooked hamburger meats.

Remember though, different strains of E. coli produce different enterotoxins. And some are heat stable. Always practice good food safety and follow the advice given along with the FDA warnings.

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-cookstalk/messages?msg=29927.8
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:05 pm
I don't know, but I'm thinking I wouldn't want doctors and chemists hanging out at my food forum to tell me bad things about things I want to eat.

As you know, I grew up on a farm. Surely I have eaten a lot of e. coli.

I'm gonna eat my spinach!

I'll be stronger than ALL of you!

Braaa-haa-haa!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
(Please ignore the cute little puppy beside the above post and the man behind the spinach green curtain)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:16 pm
CNN says there are now 20 states affected.

"Terrorist" contamination of food source test run?

That's a pretty wide spread contamination since it isn't limited to a brand or company.

Maybe I won't eat my spinach, but I sounded really tough, didn't I? (growl)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:19 pm
squinney wrote:
I don't know, but I'm thinking I wouldn't want doctors and chemists hanging out at my food forum to tell me bad things about things I want to eat.

they mostly hang out to exchange pie and bread recipes and bbq techniques, but if someone asks them to comment on stuff like this in the news, I tend to at least consider their information
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:02 am
I mentioned that on my thread already, but since replies are only here ... :wink:

An outbreak of E. coli has been linked to a California spinach processor, but government investigators are looking into other producers as well:

Spinach traced to California

Spinach is trace back to California.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:21 am
http://i10.tinypic.com/33lyohs.jpg http://i9.tinypic.com/33bh4p1.jpg

source: Chicago Tribune, 16.09.2006, page 8
0 Replies