Fewer than 20% of kids who should use booster seats use them

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:18 am
According to the NHTSA this is true and I have regularly seen this. Just in my daughter's class - there are only two (including my daughter) that always use their booster seat. And this is a school that prides itself in parent involvement and "proper" child upbringing.

If you are unsure, NHTSA recommends children more than 40 pounds ride in booster seats until they are at least 57 inches tall. NHTSA says seat belts alone don't properly fit those who are shorter than 57 inches.

Have you ever seen a small child sit comfortably with the shoulder belt? Usually they end up putting it behind them and not even using it as it does not fit properly. I find it ironic that those same parents terrified at allowing their children outside because they are fearful of contracting West Nile from a mosquito, but will then allow their small child to ride in a car not properly secured.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
I suppose, booster seats means the child car seat?

That regulated here (= in most, if not all European countries) by law, for the e.g. the UK [because it's in English :wink: ] here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
Booster seat is the type of child seat. Typically it is for 3 and older (less than the height and weight requirements) that basically boosts the child up higher so the shoulder belt fits properly. Also for the young of the group - it typically has a full back that helps thread the shoulder belt through.

I found it surprising that in Europe they allow such young children in the front seat. It is not recommended in the US that children needing safety seats sit in the front seat.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Linkat wrote:
I found it surprising that in Europe they allow such young children in the front seat. It is not recommended in the US that children needing safety seats sit in the front seat.

Depends on the car (only the newer are fitted for such).
(Otherwise, children are/were not allowed at all on frontseats.)
There is a label in the cars showing that they are suitable for it.
0 Replies