America: Melting Pot or tossed salad?

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:51 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Hogwash!

The immigration debate has always been the same, and the anti-Immigrant nativists have always made the same arguments. Now people who are continuing an anti-immigrant campaign that has lasted over 100 years are claiming that somehow their hatred of today's immigrants is somehow different than before.

Your argument is not new. It has been the same tire Nativist rant from 100 years ago. The idea is that America belongs to White Protestant Europeans and admitting too many aliens who didn't meet this category would dilute the purity of the American (White Protestant) race.

You certainly jumped to that conclusion. Also, why is it, that anyone who favors assimilation is accused of hatred? Maybe we would just like to keep a semblance of our countries traditions for our children and grandchildren. It's about culture, not race. Maybe the Nativists had a point.

Quote:
Latinos assimilate fine, just like the immigrants before them. The people who received amnesty in 1986 and are now doctors and lawyers show this. Just like immigrants before them, the second and third generation Hispanic immigrant now know English with many gaining education and success.

You brought up Latinos, not me. But since you mentioned it, yes most do assimilate. However, there are many that don't. There are many that refuse to learn English, and being that everything is about money these days, we cater to them with bi-lingual education, tv programs, etc. This is bs. If you look at what's going on in the American southwest these days, the Mexicans are flooding in and the whites and blacks are moving out. Many Mexicans view this land as stolen property and want it back. This is a fact.

Quote:
You are now making the same accusations against Latinos that they made against the Chinese, Catholics and Jews. The Chinese exclusion act, racial quota laws and doubts whether a Catholoic could be president were all parts of this.

Yes many of these laws were paranoid and unfair. However, enforced lulls in immigration, particularly in the early 20th century, were effective in assimilating immigrants. I believe it was JFK who wanted to limit immigration to about 200,000 a year. He was absolutely right. You can't just keep piling on immigrants indefinitely without assimilating them.

Quote:
Assimilation doesn't mean forcing everyone to be white and Protestant. Some of the best parts of America come from elsewhere-- Jazz and cappucino for example.

Nobody said that. Assimilation does require that newcomers learn our customs, laws, and traditions, language, and history. Some immigrants bring customs and habits with them to are unacceptable in our society. Do you think we should change our ways just to suit them? I consider Jazz to be American since it was invented by Americans.

Quote:
Do you take exception to the Orthodox Jewish communities in New YorkCity (and elsewhere)?

It depends. If they consider themselves Jews first, and Americans last, then yes I take exception.

Quote:
We have fought very hard in this country to live up to the idea of "Liberty and Justice for all". This means defending the rights of people to be different and trusting that each part will add to the whole. History, and the current richness of our culture, shows that this has been the right policy.

Liberty and justice for all does not mean that we are a polyglot boardinghouse for the world. Millions of men and women have fought and died for America. They did not die to protect an abstract concept like 'liberty' or 'justice'. They died to defend America as a nation. We are a nation with certain characteristics, just like any nation. All I ask is that newcomers respect and assimilate into our culture. If I emigrated to Saudi Arabia or Russia, I would not expect them to cater to me as an American.
Quote:
Multiculturalism is the best of America.

No it's not. If somebody wants to have a certain pride in their ancestry and maintain a semblance of that in their private lives, I don't have a problem with that. But our laws and schools should NOT cater to every ethnicity under the sun. They should all be taught the same American history, culture, and language. Not only is it not the job of schools to instill racial and ethnic pride in kids, but this just fosters a gang mentality.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:05 am
http://www.borderwarmovie.com/

Watch the trailer for this upcoming film. This is our impending crisis on the southern border.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
I forgot to mention the calculated goal behind this mass migration from Mexico. Not only does Mexico get to dump off it's poor, criminals and unemployed on us, they get millions of Mexican voters who can make sure that Mexico's interests are supported in American policies. Not to mention the millions of dollars a year that gets sent back home to Mexico. And greedy American businesses get cheap labor, so they don't want to secure the borders. The real losers here are the poor, uneducated, American citizens who depend on the jobs that these immigrants take. And don't even try to give me the crap about immigrants doing jobs that Americans won't do. This is an outright lie. In any given job that immigrants do, they make up no more than a quarter of the workforce. The only reason Americans won't do certain jobs is because they can't afford to do them on the slave wages that are paid to illegals.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
Quote:

Nobody said that. Assimilation does require that newcomers learn our customs, laws, and traditions, language, and history. Some immigrants bring customs and habits with them to are unacceptable in our society

I get the English only thing and I don't misunderstand anything about the word "illegal".

I am asking for you to answer this question with some real substance to this question. Please elaborate what customs, laws, tradition and history you are talking about.

My point is that immigrants are human beings-- and today's immigrants are just like the yesterdays immigrants.

The anscestors of many Americans had much the same experience that the immigrants of today are having. And like yesterdays immigrants they will assimilate and contribute to America as a whole.

What is wrong with that?

I really don't get the bilingual education thing. Education works when there is local control. Parents should be free to decide what is best for their kids without outside interference. When there is disagreement about schooling, there is a political process from local constituents to decide what is best.

My nieces are in a bilingual school. Their parents (both American citizens) decided that it was best and that they wanted their kids to stay in touch with their language. Our local community supports this school and has voted for it.

My niece's are fully American and speak English as well anyone (and love Disney, each hotdogs and watch to much TV). The difference is that they also know Spanish (and knowing more is never a problem). This school has a good measurable success rate to the point that some non-Hispanic families send their kids they just for the educational value.

These are American citizens sending their kids to the school of their choice based on their American values and beliefs about what is best for their kids. This school is supported by voters who have chosen to fund it.

This is what liberty means. I don't see why you are against this?
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
ebrown_p wrote:

I am asking for you to answer this question with some real substance to this question. Please elaborate what customs, laws, tradition and history you are talking about.

Do I really have to tell you? Our nation is founded on an English common law tradition. We are a secular nation with a European Judeo-Christian background. Our national motto is, E pluribus, unum, From many, one. We are a republican government with free markets and believe in self-suffiency. We are patriotic and relatively isolationist. We have certain mores and folkways that are different from many countries. We have a unique history with American heroes, stories, and legends. As immigrants to America, we are obliged to swear allegiance to America, and America alone. Dual-citizenship is not American.

Quote:
- and today's immigrants are just like the yesterdays immigrants.

Some are, some aren't. Many of today's immigrants come here strictly to make money. They maintain their allegiance to their former homland and simply 'use' America. This is not just like "yesterdays immigrants."

Quote:

I really don't get the bilingual education thing. Education works when there is local control. Parents should be free to decide what is best for their kids without outside interference. When there is disagreement about schooling, there is a political process from local constituents to decide what is best.

My nieces are in a bilingual school. Their parents (both American citizens) decided that it was best and that they wanted their kids to stay in touch with their language. Our local community supports this school and has voted for it.

My niece's are fully American and speak English as well anyone (and love Disney, each hotdogs and watch to much TV). The difference is that they also know Spanish (and knowing more is never a problem). This school has a good measurable success rate to the point that some non-Hispanic families send their kids they just for the educational value.

These are American citizens sending their kids to the school of their choice based on their American values and beliefs about what is best for their kids. This school is supported by voters who have chosen to fund it.

This is what liberty means. I don't see why you are against this?

I don't have anything against being bilingual, per say. As long as the kids are taught that they are Americans now, and English is their main language. They must be taught that they are no longer Mexican or Italian or irish or whatever. If they wanted to keep their ethnic heritage so bad, then why did they come here? If they are so proud of their old country, then why did they leave it? All in all, I think that encouraging everybody to maintain seperate ethnicities is harmful and counter-productive. It hinders people from truly being a part of society and often leads to alienation. Case in point, Muslims in Britain. Muslims were allowed to come to britain in large numbers and were not assimilated. This led to alienation and many Muslim youths feel more connection with foreign Muslims than their own countrymen. All the 7/7 bombers were born and raised in Britain. This is just a preview of what will happen here.

I just found this quote on Wikipedia:

Examples of misapplied pluralism include multiculturalism, cultural relativism, anarcho-capitalism, and post-modernism. Pluralism's tolerance for difference, its fostering of diversity, its promotion of different individuals' pursuit of variable modes of life and their expression of different cultural values does not conflate all cultures as more or less equal (multiculturalism), nor is it indifferent to some cultural differences that are unacceptable to social standards of decency, e.g., genital mutilation (cultural relativism), nor is its without cognizance of the need for social institutions to provide "space" for diversity to meet minimum standards of decency and order (anarcho-capitalism), nor is it silent or uncritical of inferior standards and values (post-modernism), but engages different social and personal values in a critical, but respectful, dialectic of reciprocal evaluation. Coercive action is used only when another mode of life or cultural expression causes harm, otherwise it engages in a dialogue of critical evaluation of different modes and expressions through persuasion. Unlike many of the misapplications, pluralism's tolerance is intolerant of intolerance (which is self-defeating and anti-pluralistic).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
Atavastic.

Your ideas about what it means to be an American are quite a bit different than mine.

As background, not that it should matter, I trace my family roots on both sides to before the Revolutionary war. The last of my blood relatives immigrated from Germany late in the 19th century.

The reason that I say this is that my ideals of what it means to be an American are at least as legitimate as yours.

You quote "E pluibus Unum"... but I don't think this really speaks of the core ideals that America is based on. To me the most important part of American Indentity is embodied in this quote...

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I see American history, the civil war, the civil rights movement, the fight for womans suffrage and the current struggles for gay marriage and immigrant rights as part of a continual struggle for these core American ideals.

As one American citizen to another I want to tell you very clearly. I doubt if you and I share many values or mores or folkways. I doubt if we even share heroes-- at least I would bet that my list of the 10 most heroic Americans in history would not contain any of your top 10.

I consider myself Patriotic just as you do, I doubt we mean the same thing when we say this.

The fact that I disagree with you does not make me any less American than you. In fact it is probably a good thing since it means that America is still, above all, a country based on freedom.

I am not an isolationist. I value the democratic parts of our government more than the republican parts (and I mean the philosophies not the parties).

And legally you are wrong (as well as philosophically) about dual citizenship. It is legally held by many Americans.

My point in all this is the following...

You don't have the right to force your view of what is American onto other Americans

The is the problem with the conservative movement. They want to marginalize anyone who doesn't fit a very narrow mold.

The fact is whatever you say about America-- it is a Democracy and we do believe in Liberty. If an American citizen wants to start a Spanish speaking radio station, they can (and they are still an American citizen). If a citizen wants to send their kids to a multicultural school, they can.

What really bugs me is that you think you have the right to tell me what I should teach my kids.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:24 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Atavastic.

Your ideas about what it means to be an American are quite a bit different than mine.

As background, not that it should matter, I trace my family roots on both sides to before the Revolutionary war. The last of my blood relatives immigrated from Germany late in the 19th century.

The reason that I say this is that my ideals of what it means to be an American are at least as legitimate as yours.

You quote "E pluibus Unum"... but I don't think this really speaks of the core ideals that America is based on. To me the most important part of American Indentity is embodied in this quote...

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I see American history, the civil war, the civil rights movement, the fight for womans suffrage and the current struggles for gay marriage and immigrant rights as part of a continual struggle for these core American ideals.

As one American citizen to another I want to tell you very clearly. I doubt if you and I share many values or mores or folkways. I doubt if we even share heroes-- at least I would bet that my list of the 10 most heroic Americans in history would not contain any of your top 10.

I consider myself Patriotic just as you do, I doubt we mean the same thing when we say this.

The fact that I disagree with you does not make me any less American than you. In fact it is probably a good thing since it means that America is still, above all, a country based on freedom.

I am not an isolationist. I value the democratic parts of our government more than the republican parts (and I mean the philosophies not the parties).

And legally you are wrong (as well as philosophically) about dual citizenship. It is legally held by many Americans.

You don't have the right to force your view of what is American onto other Americans

The is the problem with the conservative movement. They want to marginalize anyone who doesn't fit a very narrow mold.

The fact is whatever you say about America-- it is a Democracy and we do believe in Liberty. If an American citizen wants to start a Spanish speaking radio station, they can (and they are still an American citizen). If a citizen wants to send their kids to a multicultural school, they can.

What really bugs me is that you think you have the right to tell me what I should teach my kids.

Well, I respect your bluntness. I am not trying to tell you how to do anything, I am just telling you how America was meant to be by our founders. You have a right to disagree with them, but you are rewriting history if you claim that multi-culturalism is inherent in this country. There are limits to liberty. Liberty does not mean that you get a free pass to do whatever you want. So by all means, continue on your multi-cultural path, but when our country impoldes in 50 years, don't say I didn't warn you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm
I think that's exactly what a lot of people are saying, Atavistic. That what the founding fathers had in mind was actually much more narrow than what America has come to mean, in the years since. What was the Civil War if not rewriting history? (ALL men are created equal.) I think we're rather better as a nation after slavery than before.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm
BTW, the government has a right not to fund that multi-cultural school.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think that's exactly what a lot of people are saying, Atavistic. That what the founding fathers had in mind was actually much more narrow than what America has come to mean, in the years since. What was the Civil War if not rewriting history? (ALL men are created equal.) I think we're rather better as a nation after slavery than before.

I can respect the fact that we are evolving all the time. That doesn't mean that every act of "progress" is good for the country. Some things might feel good temporarily, but in the long run they could prove disastrous. As far as the Civil War, I have always felt that we should have let the south secede. This seems like an extreme opinion to some, but I have my reasons. Contrary to what our Declaration says, I've always thought that the statement "all men are created equal" was illusory.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm
Atavistic wrote:
That doesn't mean that every act of "progress" is good for the country. Some things might feel good temporarily, but in the long run they could prove disastrous.

Then in terms of this discussion, its on you to show that whatever "progress" we're experiencing now (I'm still not clear exactly what you mean by that, anyway) will prove disastrous.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Well there's certianly a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
That doesn't mean that every act of "progress" is good for the country. Some things might feel good temporarily, but in the long run they could prove disastrous.

Then in terms of this discussion, its on you to show that whatever "progress" we're experiencing now (I'm still not clear exactly what you mean by that, anyway) will prove disastrous.

Multi-culturalism, unlimited immigration, open borders. Many people support these things because they feel it is the right or progressive thing to do. Meanwhile our country becomes more divided, more resentful, and more tribalistic in mentality. Of course I can't prove that something will happen in the future, but a good look at history shows that eventually, something has to give.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:22 pm
Let's take these one at a time.

"Multi-culturalism" -- what does that mean, exactly? What specific incidents (or whatevers) are you objecting to?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:29 pm
History shows the exact opposite.

Each time we have become more open we have become a richer nation for it. I love the way that my country has grown through the years to become a flourishing, diverse country.

When slavery was ended (which was a battle in itself) there was a call to send all people of African descent back to Africa (since many "Americans" didn't think they fit into the American culture). But we decided that African-Americans were rightfully part of American history.

This broadened America and despite the dire predictions this would hurt the nation... I feel confident in saying that it was a good idea.

We allowed Chinese immigrants to stay... first by a legal decision that Children born here were Americans, then by reforming the law that excluded them. There were dire predictions that the Chinese couldn't assimilate and would hurt the culture. I think history shows that these predictions were false.

This history was repeated with people from Catholic nations and now with Hispanics through the 1980 when the grateful recipients of the amnesty were very diligent and success at becoming productive parts of the American society.

These dire prodictions of the doom of America at the hands of an alien menace are nothing new... they have been made throughout our history.

I think America turned out OK in spite of them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:35 pm
For reference this is an excerpt from the 1924 congressional debate on immigration. Note that the same things you folks were saying about Latino immigrants today, they were saying 80 years ago about SouthernEuropeans (this was a debate on racial quotas).

Representative Grant M. Hudson of Michigan wrote:

The “melting pot” has proved to be a myth. We are slowly awakening to the consciousness that education and environment do not fundamentally alter racial values.

Today we face the serious problem of the maintenance of our historic republican institutions. Now, what do we find in all our large cities? Entire sections containing a population incapable of understanding our institutions, with no comprehension of our national ideals, and for the most part incapable of speaking the English language. Foreign language information service gives evidence that many southern Europeans resent as an unjust discrimination the quota laws and represent America as showing race hatred and unmindful of its mission to the world. The reverse is true. America’s first duty is to those already within her own shores. An unrestricted immigration policy would work an injustice to all, which would fall hardest on those least able to combat it.

George Washington in his Farewell Address said: Citizens by birth or choice, of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affection. . . . [W]ith slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits, and political principles.

Washington observed—slight shades of difference.

But today we see huge masses of non-American-minded individuals, living in colonies or ghettoes, or even cities and counties of their own. Here they perpetuate their racial mindedness, their racial character, and their racial habits. Here they speak their own tongue, read their own newspapers, maintain their separate educational system.

By the way... I chose the least offensive comment of the Nativist side.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Let's take these one at a time.

"Multi-culturalism" -- what does that mean, exactly? What specific incidents (or whatevers) are you objecting to?

Here's a good definition (from Wikipedia):

"Multiculturalism is an ideology advocating that society should consist of, or at least allow and include, distinct cultural groups, with equal status. Multiculturalism contrasts with the monoculturalism which was historically the norm in the European nation-state. (Monoculturalism implies a normative cultural unity, 'monocultural' can be a descriptive term for pre-existing homogeneity). The term multiculturalism is almost always applied to distinct cultures of immigrant groups in developed countries, not to the presence of indigenous peoples.

Multiculturalism began as an official policy in English-speaking countries, starting in Canada in the 1970s. It was quickly adopted by most member-states in the European Union, as official policy, and as a social consensus among the elite. In recent years, several European states, notably the Netherlands and Denmark, have completely reversed their national policy consensus, and have returned to an official monoculturalism. A similar reversal is the subject of debate in the United Kingdom and Germany, among others.

Multiculturalism is an extremely divisive issue. Its supporters often see it as a self-evident entitlement of cultural groups, as a form of civil rights grounded in equality of cultures. They often assume it will lead to interculturalism - beneficial cultural exchanges, where cultures learn about each others literature, art and philosophy (high culture), and influence each others music, fashion and cuisine. Its opponents often see it as something which has been imposed on them without their consent. They fear it will lead to cultural ghettos, undermining national unity. In Europe especially, opponents see multiculturalism as a direct assault on the national identity, and on the nation itself, and sometimes as a conspiracy to Islamise Europe."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:02 pm
Tossed salad... with lots of nuts.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
History shows the exact opposite.

Each time we have become more open we have become a richer nation for it. I love the way that my country has grown through the years to become a flourishing, diverse country.

When slavery was ended (which was a battle in itself) there was a call to send all people of African descent back to Africa (since many "Americans" didn't think they fit into the American culture). But we decided that African-Americans were rightfully part of American history.

This broadened America and despite the dire predictions this would hurt the nation... I feel confident in saying that it was a good idea.

We allowed Chinese immigrants to stay... first by a legal decision that Children born here were Americans, then by reforming the law that excluded them. There were dire predictions that the Chinese couldn't assimilate and would hurt the culture. I think history shows that these predictions were false.

This history was repeated with people from Catholic nations and now with Hispanics through the 1980 when the grateful recipients of the amnesty were very diligent and success at becoming productive parts of the American society.

These dire prodictions of the doom of America at the hands of an alien menace are nothing new... they have been made throughout our history.

I think America turned out OK in spite of them.

You have completely misrepresented what I said. I never once said I was opposed to immigration. I am opposed to unlimited immigration for obvious reasons. And yes I am against catering to specific minorities. The America that I stand for is not one where each seperate ethnicity is grouped together in their own villages and towns and are educated in the ways of their former countries. These people are not Americans as far as I am concerned. I do not believe that certain ethnic groups should get special treatment or get a special 'ethnic' education. If they don't want to be Americans then they can go home as far as I'm concerned. You can't have one foot in America, and another foot in your former country. As far as blacks, yes, many wanted to send them back to Africa, and many of them wanted to go back. I can understand this. But they stayed, and for the most part they assimilated, even though they were prevented from fully assimilating until relatively recently. Nevertheless, they are now just as American as anyone else. I'm am concerned about assimilation when it comes to the overwhelming numbers of Mexicans flooding in. Many of them are here are illegally, and many of them view the American southwest as land that we stole from them. Many of them demand that they be taught in Spanish, and refuse to adopt English. California is over 50% Hispanic and growing. Whites and blacks are like strangers in their own home. Just the other day I read an article about a mob of immigrant protestors who took over a post office in Texas. They ripped down the American flag and put up a Mexican one. Does this sound like assimilation to you??
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:41 pm
Quote:

California is over 50% Hispanic and growing

Stop making stuff up.

The fact you make sensationalistic claims that are so easy to confirm-- while you are seated at a computer on the Internet is not only lazy, it is dumb. How long do you think it took me to do the Google search to check this (it wouldn't have taken you very long either).
0 Replies