1
   

we went to "church" yesterday

 
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:24 pm
Re: we went to "church" yesterday
dyslexia wrote:
The lady Diane suggested that we need to expand our social horizons so yesterday we went to a Unitarian/Universialist "church." What a crock that was;
"let's all hold hands while we sing hymn 157"
I was very polite and did not bold out the door until the "service" was finished but we will not be going back.


And o yeah about GOING TO CHURCH.
That is impossible.
The Church, the true Church of God, is the people not the building.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:25 pm
What a conceited dweeb--he's got all the answers, and if you don't believe me, just ask him.

This is pathetic authoritarian drivel just like Kate4Jeebus was writing . . .
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
What a conceited dweeb--he's got all the answers, and if you don't believe me, just ask him.

This is pathetic authoritarian drivel just like Kate4Jeebus was writing . . .


Good Day Setanta nice to see you posting some MEAN against me again.

How you been doing.

Good I hope.

I must tell you that I am not going to flame you back for your unkind words, just cause you don't like what someones says is NO REASON to call any one a conceited dweeb. That just shows...(removed).... that you are.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:36 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What a conceited dweeb--he's got all the answers, and if you don't believe me, just ask him.

This is pathetic authoritarian drivel just like Kate4Jeebus was writing . . .


Good Day Setanta nice to see you posting some MEAN against me again.

How you been doing.

Good I hope.

I must tell you that I am not going to flame you back for your unkind words, just cause you don't like what someones says is NO REASON to call any one a conceited dweeb. That just shows...(removed).... that you are.


Leaving aside your flawed ability to coherently express yourself in the English language, i would point out that it is not "mean" on my part to make the observation that you display conceit, given that you habitually display conceit. No one here has any reason to assume that you are an authority on what the best sect would be, or who has achieved the closest approach to what anyone might allege is pure christianity.

But just like Katherine4Hey-Zeus, you want to take an authoritarian stance, and dictate which church to attend to attain the closest approach to purity of biblical exegesis. That's your opinion, and nothing more, and an opinion worth no more than anyone else's opinion.

When you have no basis to claim a greater authority in a matter than anyone else, and yet you speak as though from an unquestionable position of authority, you are displaying conceit . . . dweeb . . .
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What a conceited dweeb--he's got all the answers, and if you don't believe me, just ask him.

This is pathetic authoritarian drivel just like Kate4Jeebus was writing . . .


Good Day Setanta nice to see you posting some MEAN against me again.

How you been doing.

Good I hope.

I must tell you that I am not going to flame you back for your unkind words, just cause you don't like what someones says is NO REASON to call any one a conceited dweeb. That just shows...(removed).... that you are.


Leaving aside your flawed ability to coherently express yourself in the English language, i would point out that it is not "mean" on my part to make the observation that you display conceit, given that you habitually display conceit. No one here has any reason to assume that you are an authority on what the best sect would be, or who has achieved the closest approach to what anyone might allege is pure christianity.

But just like Katherine4Hey-Zeus, you want to take an authoritarian stance, and dictate which church to attend to attain the closest approach to purity of biblical exegesis. That's your opinion, and nothing more, and an opinion worth no more than anyone else's opinion.

When you have no basis to claim a greater authority in a matter than anyone else, and yet you speak as though from an unquestionable position of authority, you are displaying conceit . . . dweeb . . .


Your post is of the most boring type to read.
Using all of your EWWWW I am so much better at English than you are speech therefor everything that you say is MUTE.
You are a FOOL following a FOOLS path to even begin to think that.

You have become what I love to make fun of an EDUCATED IDIOT.
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What a conceited dweeb--he's got all the answers, and if you don't believe me, just ask him.

This is pathetic authoritarian drivel just like Kate4Jeebus was writing . . .


Good Day Setanta nice to see you posting some MEAN against me again.

How you been doing.

Good I hope.

I must tell you that I am not going to flame you back for your unkind words, just cause you don't like what someones says is NO REASON to call any one a conceited dweeb. That just shows...(removed).... that you are.


Leaving aside your flawed ability to coherently express yourself in the English language, i would point out that it is not "mean" on my part to make the observation that you display conceit, given that you habitually display conceit. No one here has any reason to assume that you are an authority on what the best sect would be, or who has achieved the closest approach to what anyone might allege is pure christianity.

But just like Katherine4Hey-Zeus, you want to take an authoritarian stance, and dictate which church to attend to attain the closest approach to purity of biblical exegesis. That's your opinion, and nothing more, and an opinion worth no more than anyone else's opinion.

When you have no basis to claim a greater authority in a matter than anyone else, and yet you speak as though from an unquestionable position of authority, you are displaying conceit . . . dweeb . . .


How about saying it plainly.
Quote:

Your english is flawed, and you express yourself poorly.
It is not "mean" to point out that you always display conciet.
No one here believes that you are an expert to declare which relgion is the best, or even to declare which relgion is the closest to "pure christainity".


Is that just to hard for you to do?
To use SIMPLE worded statements instead of your HIGH MINDED EGO MANIC speech.
The mass of the American speaking world DOES NOT SPEAK LIKE THAT.
You are sick in the head to even think that any one likes that type of speech.
Speak with simple words cut out of the BS that you add to make yourself LOOK educated and others like me might actually listen to your points.

But as long as you speak the way you do, all I do is say " BORING".

Enjoy post # 400 finally! LOL.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:03 pm
Before I read the thread, let me just express my shock that they let Dys into their church. It was probably because he was with Diane. Yeah, that must be it. If I were in the church and saw him enter I would have sneaked out the back. If Gus had come in I would have run out the nearest exit screaming. Now I'll read the thread to see if someone else has already said what I just said.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
How about saying it plainly.

Your english is flawed, and you express yourself poorly.


That's a fair description of my assessment of your communication skills

Quote:
It is not "mean" to point out that you always display conciet.


I have not stated that you always display conceit--simply that you do so consistently. That is a simple and accurate expression of my opinion of you, whether or not you are capable of understanding the nuance.

Quote:
No one here believes that you are an expert to declare which relgion is the best, or even to declare which relgion is the closest to "pure christainity".


Although i would hope that were the case, alas, the capacity for self-delusion in humans is immense, and it is entirely possible that there are people who will read here who might believe you are expert in such matters. I would advise them not to fall for such a conceit on your part, but know from experience that people will in all seriousness believe the most ludicrous things.

Quote:
Is that just to hard for you to do?


That snottiness is typical of your conceit. You failed to express, simply or otherwise, what i wrote--which hints at a failure of comprehension as well as of the ability to coherently express yourself.

Quote:
To use SIMPLE worded statements instead of your HIGH MINDED EGO MANIC speech.


"Ego manic"--that's a novelty to me, but perhaps you meant ego-maniac. There is, of course, no reason to assume that anyone is an ego-maniac simply because one uses one's native language carefully to precisely express what one means to say.

Quote:
The mass of the American speaking world DOES NOT SPEAK LIKE THAT.


If the mass of the American-speaking world jumped off a cliff, would you join them?

I would certainly hope so.

Quote:
You are sick in the head to even think that any one likes that type of speech.


I know a great many people who enjoy my prose, whether or not you do. As for who is sick in the head, that's rich coming from a concieted, bigotted bible-thumper like you.

Quote:
Speak with simple words cut out of the BS that you add to make yourself LOOK educated and others like me might actually listen to your points.


Of course, it is an absurdity for you to give me any orders, since you are completely powerless to enforce anything on me. I use the words which mean precisely what i intend to say. If that is a problem for you, it's your problem, and not mine. I could care less if you read what i write (you can't "listen" if i'm not speaking to you); however, since you have replied, and quoted me in the process, it is a reasonable assumption that you do read what i write. Not that i would give a rat's ass if you didn't. (Give a rat's ass--is that sufficiently simple for your understanding?)

Quote:
But as long as you speak the way you do, all I do is say "BORING".


You apparently weren't so bored that you refrained from reading and responding to what i wrote. You protest too much. If you're bored, don't read my posts.
0 Replies
 
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:12 pm
Quote:
Using all of your EWWWW I am so much better at English than you are speech therefore everything that you say is MUTE.

Did you mean moot?

Quote:
The mass of the American speaking world DOES NOT SPEAK LIKE THAT.

The world does not speak American.
Your statement above highlights your need to look outside your usual safe and cosy circle for truth.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:17 pm
I find it hilarious that he flings puerile attempts at insult at me, claims that i am boring, but continues to respond to my posts. Guess he's so bored right now he has nothing better to do.

If i am not mistaken, i believe English as i use it is comprehensible to the denizens of the antipodes.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:24 pm
Scott,
A mighty wind is a blowin' - you smell it too, don't you?

Blow on, mighty wind.
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:32 pm
Setanta wrote:


I know a great many people who enjoy my prose, whether or not you do. As for who is sick in the head, that's rich coming from a concieted, bigotted bible-thumper like you.


And here is your most grave error. I AM NOT A BIBLE THUMPER, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD.
I have already stated this more than once.

I have also stated before that I know these doctrines.

Independant fundamental baptist, mormon, jehovah's witnesses, and oneness pentecostal.

I think I am pretty well qualified to offer a just and sound statement about the bible. I know what I am talking about and I have attended bible college. I do not claim to be an expert, but I am well enough versed to be able to remark on the bible.

I have also studied Wicca a little bit.

Now just cause you think you are a KNOW IT ALL don't matter a smidgen to me.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:02 pm
_________________
Declared....
The First Heathen Evangelist: by Lash
A Mental Midget: by Doktor S
A Loony Fanatic and A Conceited Dweeb: by Setanta
Bigotted: by Setanta
Rash and Impetuous: by Frank Apisa

I bet them's his good points.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:28 pm
JPB, if I were to join a church it would be the UU. There's a UU "preacher" that broadcasts every Saturday morning in my town. I find him very philosophically open, ethical, humane and socially enlightened.

Dys is not in my eyes an "old buzzard", just a buzzard. I'm older than he. Well, I've read most of the thread but just couldn't finish. Most of it is quite lame. Too bad our resident theologian, Gus, is not participating.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:55 pm
Goddam, I apologized twice for calling Dys an old buzzard. I made the mistake of thinking I could joke around with him. He called me a moron the day before he got the vapors about being called an old buzzard.
I don't understand, and no longer give a shyt.

The fact that an atheist was trying to get a useful experience out of church was fascinating to me, but he wouldn't engage me in a discussion about that.

So fuk it.
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:43 am
JPB wrote:
<sigh>

let's move on, shall we?

real life wrote:
UU are generally considered to be an extreme fringe group, denying nearly all of traditional Christian teachings, while trying to hold the Christian label to attract attendance.


I challenged his position that UU attempts to hold the Christian label to attract attendance. UU is a liberal faith that has Christian roots, draws inspiration from Christian sources along with others, welcomes those who consider themselves Christian and those who do not, encourages it's members to follow the teachings of Jesus (and others). Most UUs do not consider themselves Christian in the traditional sense. The UUA does not claim to be a Christian denomination. And it CERTAINLY does not strive to hold a label of any kind in order to attract attendance.


Sorry, I have to disagree. The UU example that Steve41oo posted a few pages back clearly shows the church tries to label itself a congregation of Free Christians, as does the denominational link from the same page.
0 Replies
 
JPB
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:38 am
real life, Steve's link is to a Unitarian Free Christian church in Hyde Park, England. When two religions merge you have churches that participate in the merger and you have churches that do not, resulting in three denominations where there were previously two. In the case of the UU merger of Unitarians and Universalists there are now UU churches, Unitarian churches, and Universalist churches. In addition, as I've already stated, within the UUA there are some UU Christian Fellowship churches.

I am not familiar enough with the practices of the Unitarians and Universalists in England, or elsewhere in Europe, to offer comment. From looking at the link Steve posted, it seems as if they are a traditional Unitarian church which embrasses it's Christian roots. Uniterian Christians have not rejected the traditional Christian teachings, only those that reflect the Holy Trinity. UU Christian Fellowship churches in America use the Jefferson Bible as their inspriational source which is taken in its entirety from traditional Christian teachings.

The UU church I attend gives the gift of a Jefferson Bible to each youth as they complete the coming of age program and become adults in the eyes of the church. They are also given a blank journal.

A popular hymn at UU services is:

Spirit of life, come unto me.
Sing in my heart all the stirrings of compassion.
Blow in the wind, rise in the sea, move in the hand,
giving life the shape of justice.
Roots hold me close;
wings set me free;

Spirit of Life, come to me, come to me.

The gift of the Jefferson Bible represents their roots. The gift of the blank journal represents their wings.
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:42 am
snood wrote:
Goddam, I apologized twice for calling Dys an old buzzard. I made the mistake of thinking I could joke around with him. He called me a moron the day before he got the vapors about being called an old buzzard.
I don't understand, and no longer give a shyt.

The fact that an atheist was trying to get a useful experience out of church was fascinating to me, but he wouldn't engage me in a discussion about that.

So **** it.

And I responded once soyes i did attempt to repond.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 10:10 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Now just cause you think you are a KNOW IT ALL don't matter a smidgen to me.


I've never claimed to know it all, and i don't go around touting my own credentials in the contents of the bible, which you do. Saying that you've been to bible "college" basically equates to having a degree in subjective superstition--it still in no wise qualifies you to tell others what church they should be attending, or to define church for them.

Every time i've seen you show up in a thread at this site, you start throwing around statements from authority, and telling everyone how wrong they are and how right you are. It's hilarious hypocricy to see you calling someone else a know-it-all.

Dweeb . . .

Bible-thumper . . .
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 10:10 am
What is wrong with telling a moron that he or she is a moron?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 11/30/2021 at 05:37:01