We are all GETTING older if not wiser

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:47 pm
Could you tell me what the sentence means, please? Thanks!

We are all getting older if not wiser.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,814 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:04 pm
I'm not sure what part it is that you don't understand. Everyone grows (gets) older. Many assume that as one grows older, one should also gain in wisom. The sentence states that this is not necessarily so. Growing older is unavoidable; gowing wiser is an option. What's the problem?
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:31 pm
Thank you very much,Merry Andrew.
Yes, we know that growing older is unavoidable and growing wiser is an option.

But the sentence seems to suggest that "if we are not growing wiser, we are all getting older" , which seems to make no sense. so my problem is why the author uses 'if' between "We are all getting older" and "not wiser".

Maybe "We are all getting older even if not wiser" is better. So what do you think of it? Thanks.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:37 pm
ddlddlee, it is quite obvious the sentence does not pertain to you.

Take a pill.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:41 pm
Yes, growing older doesn't necessarily mean wiser.
Meet exhibit A http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/102403372141a2ac43a6053.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:22 pm
I hate you, Jane.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:32 pm
You've mentioned that numerous times already.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:57 am
Quote:
We are all getting older if not wiser.

We all grow older.

Sometimes wisdom increases with age.

Sometimes it doesn't.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
ddlddlee wrote:
Thank you very much,Merry Andrew.
Yes, we know that growing older is unavoidable and growing wiser is an option.

But the sentence seems to suggest that "if we are not growing wiser, we are all getting older" , which seems to make no sense. so my problem is why the author uses 'if' between "We are all getting older" and "not wiser".

Maybe "We are all getting older even if not wiser" is better. So what do you think of it? Thanks.

It can be argued that your sentence is more polished than the original quoted. But both sentences are grammatically correct and express the same sentiment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:42 am
I'm reminded of a Pennsylvania Dutch saying (available on all sorts of tea towels and other tourist plunder):

We get too soon old, and too late smart.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:03 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm reminded of a Pennsylvania Dutch saying (available on all sorts of tea towels and other tourist plunder):

We get too soon old, and too late smart.

Ve get too soon oldt und too late schmahrt is the way I saw it in a little boutique in Pottstown, I think it was, or maybe Kutztown or Shoemakersville.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:20 am
Merry Andrew--

You're absolutely right about the "phonetic" spelling. I have enough trouble writing accurate English without attempting dialect.

Do you remember the "traditional" hex signs that used to be painted on barns and are now sold as souvenirs? A pair of Dutchy brothers from Lancaster County up are experimenting with hex signs as crop circles. I know buckwheat is part of the agricultural palette.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:28 am
I remember those signs well, Noddy. Interestingly, the nomenclature of these signs as "hex" signs was strictly Anglo. The Pensy Dutch themselves always insisted that the signs had no significance except a decorative one. But we -- the uninitiated -- wouldn't believe that there was no mystical significance to such fine artwork.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:38 pm
We WILL get older, but we might not get wiser. Getting older isn't our choice, while getting wiser is.
0 Replies