any help would be much appreciated!

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 04:38 pm
Im thinking of getting a tattoo and wondered if you could help with the translation from english to Latin!! The prase is 'No words to describe the love between a mother and her child' I've been looking around and this is what has come up... 'Haud lacuna exsequor diligo inter a matris quod suus parvulus' Is this correct??
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 6
No top replies

George

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:56 am
Re: any help would be much appreciated!
lisa1986 wrote:
Im thinking of getting a tattoo and wondered if you could help with the translation from english to Latin!! The prase is 'No words to describe the love between a mother and her child' I've been looking around and this is what has come up... 'Haud lacuna exsequor diligo inter a matris quod suus parvulus' Is this correct??
thanks

Beware of automated Latin translators!

I'd translate that:
Nulla verba ad inter matrem et filium suum amorem describendum

Note that "filium suum" is masculine. If the child is a girl,
substitute "filiam suam".

Now since this is for a tattoo, please have someone else review this
before any needlework. I'm not a professional Latin scholar, just a guy
who does this for fun.
0 Replies

lisa1986

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:45 pm
how do you say......
Thanks for the help. On my tattoo situation,another alternative is 'Your birth was mine.' How would you write that in latin? Will also get it checked out aswell...too many wrong tattoos in the world! Thanks again!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
Re: how do you say......
lisa1986 wrote:
Thanks for the help. On my tattoo situation,another alternative is 'Your birth was mine.' How would you write that in latin? Will also get it checked out aswell...too many wrong tattoos in the world! Thanks again!

Ortus tuus meus erat.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:44 am
Re: how do you say......
George wrote:
lisa1986 wrote:

Ortus tuus meus erat.

I would prefere "fuit" in this case, because the meaning of the imperfect could be misunderstood, something like "It was but now it is not".

Just a suggestion: George is better then me with latin...
0 Replies

lisa1986

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 03:30 pm
Thanx for helping Raph, how would you put it all in a sentence? 'Fuit' instead of...??? I don't have a clue myself so want to check all alternatives out!!!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:34 pm
lisa1986 wrote:
Thanx for helping Raph, how would you put it all in a sentence? 'Fuit' instead of...??? I don't have a clue myself so want to check all alternatives out!!!

Ortus tuus meus fuit

You are welcome.
0 Replies