The President Bush Wrongdoing Thread

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
I would like people to post specific allegations of any kind of wrongdoing on the president's part. However, I would like such posts to meet a rather high standard. Please observe the following rules:

1. Each specific allegation should have it's own separate post. If you have five allegations, put them in five separate posts.
2. Such allegations should not be someone else's words cut and pasted in, but rather should be in your own words.
3. Each allegation of wrongdoing should be accompanied by at least one citation to demonsrate that it's something that actually happened.

The goal of this thread is to facilitate debating the merits of such accusations in a scientific, objective way. If you don't believe that this thread is worthwhile, then I request that you simply don't post in it. Please debate only the topic, and not the merits of demerits of the other posters. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,453 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:39 pm
Request for clarification: does 'wrongdoing' mean/include actions which are:

a. illegal
b. immoral
c. unethical
d. unAmerican
e. all of the above
f. none of the above

?

By starting with clarity, we can avoid arguing definitions. Many of these categories are opinion-based, so if we want to avoid arguing stuff like that we should say so now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Request for clarification: does 'wrongdoing' mean/include actions which are:

a. illegal
b. immoral
c. unethical
d. unAmerican
e. all of the above
f. none of the above

?

By starting with clarity, we can avoid arguing definitions. Many of these categories are opinion-based, so if we want to avoid arguing stuff like that we should say so now.

Cycloptichorn

A through e.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:04 pm
I'm interested in see a "Bush Right-Doing" thread utilizing the same "proof" parameters.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
blatham wrote:
I'm interested in see a "Bush Right-Doing" thread utilizing the same "proof" parameters.

That would be posted in the Humor Forum.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:25 pm
I'll start.

It was both morally wrong, UnAmerican, and Illegal for Bush to authorize spying on American citizens without a warrant. He is specifically prohibited from doing so by FISA, a law written specifically to limit the president in this area and signed into law by a president. He also has broken the 4th amendment rights of American citizens by doing so.

Terrorism is a never-ending threat, and therefore, those who claim that we must give up our freedoms 'temporarily' are wrong; there will never be an end to the war on terror, just as there is no end to wars against other emotions or concepts. Bush is morally wrong in abusing his powers as an executive officer of the US government, and quite UnAmerican in his statements that we are in more danger now than at any point in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:34 pm
Why humor Brandon and his spam?

Just let the thread sink to the 322nd page where it belongs.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:50 pm
Bush was born.

I'll toss that out for starters.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:56 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bush was born.

This is how unsubstaniated rumors get started.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:15 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bush was born.

Brandon9000 wrote:

I defy you to verify and prove the validity of that statement.
If not, I win the debate.

You're in deep now G.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
candidone1 wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Bush was born.

Brandon9000 wrote:

I defy you to verify and prove the validity of that statement.
If not, I win the debate.

You're in deep now G.

So much for respect for other peoples' thread topics. You want it for yourself, but have no intention of granting it to others.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:14 am
Haha, I tried...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:18 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Haha, I tried...

Cycloptichorn

Yes, you did, but no one else seems to have much interest in debating accusations against the president under a set of rules which enforce objective analysis.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:34 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Why humor Brandon and his spam?

Just let the thread sink to the 322nd page where it belongs.

I am not surprised at all that most of you who accuse the president of widespread wrongdoing, have no desire at all to do it in a controlled setting in which accusations are stated very specifically, one by one, in a way which encourages clear examination of the evidence pro and con. It's far easier to throw lots of dirt and ridicule any request for specificity or evidence. Were the president really guilty of these things, the people who want to make it known would be glad for the chance to give really clear, air tight, logical proof.

Hats off, though, to Cycloptichorn, who was game to try.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
Yeah, but....

You didn't answer his post.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:56 pm
snood wrote:
Yeah, but....

You didn't answer his post.

Why should I? I never claimed that I would do anything beyond create the thread. Apparently the immense amount of liberal interest in accusing the president of wrongdoing doesn't extend to accusing him of one thing at a time, with documentation, and arguing it objectively.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:21 pm

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:14 am
This is what you said in the launch:

Quote:
The goal of this thread is to facilitate debating the merits of such accusations in a scientific, objective way.

So, you don't intend on debating the accusations, but only facilitating debate?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:19 am
snood wrote:

Quote:
The goal of this thread is to facilitate debating the merits of such accusations in a scientific, objective way.

The fact that I start a thread to facilitate discussion of a topic doesn't imply that I intend to answer every, or even any, post myself. It means only that I'm interested in the topic. And just in case you were wondering, I have no intention of going on post after post arguing with you about what amounts to nothing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
snood wrote:

Quote:

The fact that I start a thread to facilitate discussion of a topic doesn't imply that I intend to answer every, or even any, post myself. It means only that I'm interested in the topic. And just in case you were wondering, I have no intention of going on post after post arguing with you about what amounts to nothing.

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. and this thread is nothing.
0 Replies