Birthday parties close together

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:05 pm
Linkat wrote:
Actually Chai - we have resolved the issue. I easily get over such situations quickly - I like to vent rather than let it become a screaming fight with the person(s) actually involved.

You may not be meaning to, however, you are being very confrontational - almost as if you have some sort of strange need to be right in the matter - where it is not a right or wrong situation, but one in which I was upset and wanted moral support.

Some came and gave useful advice while being supportive (whether they agreed with me or not), while you are the other hand choice to be confrontational rather than be supportive. That also is your choice and I can't change you, however, I do have the choice to make myself known.

Well, I thought my advice was very useful and to the point.

And no, I wasn't being confrontational. And I didn't see where you were looking for any support.

I'd appreciate it if you would post back, so you won't think I was trying to get the last word. But if you don't, it really doesn't matterl

Here's to not thinking about each other, I suppose.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:45 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
So, the point is that you are really upset because these 2 people don't behave the way you think they should?

Would that be correct?

Comes across as confrontational - I didn't think you meant to, but the tone (and I know tone is difficult to interpret in writing). When you keep pressing similar questions more and more - as I kept saying I was venting. To me (and everything is up to personal interpretation), venting = help I want moral support. Some one looking for moral support - sometimes when you are too direct (and I know because I am very guilty of being direct and to the point) it feels confrontational - in other words - stop! I really am not looking for advice - I just want some one to say - that's a tough situation - families can be difficult. Now I am being direct!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 03:23 pm
Linkat wrote:
Is it not normal to be upset when some one takes advantage of you? Is it not normal to be upset when some one does what ever the h*ll they want without consideration of you or others you care about? They take and are unwilling to give? If these people are outside your family - you don't deal with them. However, within a family you don't have a choice. You see them getting your mom upset, take advantage of her, etc.

No you cannot change some one, but you can let them know when they are being an inconsiderate a$$hole. Nicely of course. And you can rant and rave on here to release some stress - like I did.

And thank you very much for your continued support.

I am bit late to this, but if it is any consolation, Linkat, I do understand your situation, especially since I have a brother and sister-in-law who take the same approach of one who doesn't want to be bothered and the other who is doing as she pleases, while my mother is in the middle trying
to accommodate everyone. True, one cannot change their behavior, but I changed mine, and eventually they took notice and we arrived at a
cease-fire situation I can live with.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
Thanks, CJ - sounds similar to mine. I decided instead of just going along and changing to accomodate (as everyone in the family does) I spoke up - the camel that broke the back in a sense.

The thing is they did not even realize how they were making everyone feel. As I said I didn't think it was intentional, but because no one said anything - they viewed everything as fine. When I spoke up, I definately caught them off guard and they realized they were simply doing what fit them and didn't think of others. I am not sure it will completely change their approach, however, I do believe they will think about some things a little more in the future. They simply do not consider others when making their plans.

Also, in the case of my brother it is probably partly my fault - he the youngest - with three older siblings. The older two more than ten years older. I even used to take care of him when he was a baby every day after school. As he got older, if he wanted something we would get it for him - we spoiled him. He never had to think of others only himself as we did almost cater to him.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 06:21 am
Why can't you just have a big party together?
0 Replies